BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 1500 Miles &3 weeks In

05-10-2016, 01:08 PM   #1
Mayo81
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 (soon)

1500 Miles &3 weeks In

Had the X1 3 weeks. Company car so I had to limit the options however I could pay for them myself but wife would not be too pleased.

2.0 Diesel 20D X-Drive in Atlantic Grey. X-Line with rear privacy glass, reversing camera and dimming interior mirror.

Just hit 1500 miles and all I can say is wow. Fantastic car, best I have ever driven. That's not saying much though as previous cars have always been high mileage estate cars.

Wheels are standard 569's with Bridgestone's, no issues with road noise.

LED lights are very good (after you get used to the blue tint), do a lot of country roads at night and they are really bright.

My company will only buy manual gear box so i'm stuck with that and at first it was very tight but its loosened up now and changes great.

Love the speed limit feature, I am on the M42 most days and it never misses the speed limit changes on the active traffic motorway.

1500 miles 50 / 50 between motorway and rural and getting 50.6MPG according to on-board computer. I did take it really easy until 1200 miles though so it will no doubt be dropping slightly. Dropped it in sport mode today and pulled away from standstill, it grips really well and really does move. (again normally drive 140 engines so maybe its me)
Appreciate 6
      05-10-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
DJ Orange
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VW Golf GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo81 View Post
Had the X1 3 weeks. Company car so I had to limit the options however I could pay for them myself but wife would not be too pleased.

2.0 Diesel 20D X-Drive in Atlantic Grey. X-Line with rear privacy glass, reversing camera and dimming interior mirror.

Just hit 1500 miles and all I can say is wow. Fantastic car, best I have ever driven. That's not saying much though as previous cars have always been high mileage estate cars.

Wheels are standard 569's with Bridgestone's, no issues with road noise.

LED lights are very good (after you get used to the blue tint), do a lot of country roads at night and they are really bright.

My company will only buy manual gear box so i'm stuck with that and at first it was very tight but its loosened up now and changes great.

Love the speed limit feature, I am on the M42 most days and it never misses the speed limit changes on the active traffic motorway.

1500 miles 50 / 50 between motorway and rural and getting 50.6MPG according to on-board computer. I did take it really easy until 1200 miles though so it will no doubt be dropping slightly. Dropped it in sport mode today and pulled away from standstill, it grips really well and really does move. (again normally drive 140 engines so maybe its me)
Thanks for the review. I've ordered the same model, engine and transmission so pleased to hear the positives. Good to hear that the 18" alloys with run flat tyres aren't causing too much road noise. I had originally specced up an order with the 19" alloys as they look great but after the test drive with them, I found the ride far too firm and a bit noisy. I went with the EDC option so hopefully the ride will be a bit softer. I commute from Brum to Coventry on the M6 3 days a week so ride comfort is very important to me. Good to hear economy has been pretty good too!

Can you elaborate on the blue tint or direct me to the thread? I did see it a few weeks ago but can't seem to locate now.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 11:06 PM   #3
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Congrats
Thanks for your review.
Yes, the purple blue hue at the edge of the visual beam is something you do get used to (it is the colour spectrum with LED Headlights). I have grown to like it.
I also like their adaptive road illumination performance.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 01:07 AM   #4
Les Paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Xline Auto

Good to hear you are pleased with the X1.

I still haven't seen any similar vehicle which would suit my needs and so glad I didn't go down the audi/merc route.

I wasn't too bothered about mpg in my buying decision, however this is one pleasure of X1 ownership that has pleasantly surprised me !
I have a 2.0D Xdrive and IMO, even with enthusiastic driving the real world fuel consumption is outstanding for the power/weight/type of vehicle. I think you will see yours improve as the engine loosens up.

I am now 6 months in and yesterday completed a week of several long drives on very different roads/traffic conditions and I think the car has actually become a better driving experience since when it was brand new. I guess components have bedded in and I have found my optimum seat position etc.

My only issue has been one intermittment slight rattle from the centre dash s[peaker, which I hope the dealer can resolve.

My X1 is sitting there at the moment, covered in mud, mountain bike (clean!) in the boot with all my gear and ready for another adventure.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 03:29 PM   #5
Mayo81
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Orange View Post
Thanks for the review. I've ordered the same model, engine and transmission so pleased to hear the positives. Good to hear that the 18" alloys with run flat tyres aren't causing too much road noise. I had originally specced up an order with the 19" alloys as they look great but after the test drive with them, I found the ride far too firm and a bit noisy. I went with the EDC option so hopefully the ride will be a bit softer. I commute from Brum to Coventry on the M6 3 days a week so ride comfort is very important to me. Good to hear economy has been pretty good too!

Can you elaborate on the blue tint or direct me to the thread? I did see it a few weeks ago but can't seem to locate now.
One thing I have noticed is that when you change down a gear, when you press the clutch and select lower gear before lifting the clutch the car increases revs so that when you lift clutch its a smooth change down.

I had to check I wasn't pressing accelerator by mistake, it makes for a really smooth gear change.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 03:43 PM   #6
DJ Orange
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VW Golf GTI

I've always been a manual driver so looking forward to it!

On a separate note, can you confirm that you can you move off in first gear when the electronic handbrake is engaged, i.e. Handbrake is up? And not need to manually press the e-brake down to dis-engage?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 03:08 AM   #7
Mayo81
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Orange View Post
I've always been a manual driver so looking forward to it!

On a separate note, can you confirm that you can you move off in first gear when the electronic handbrake is engaged, i.e. Handbrake is up? And not need to manually press the e-brake down to dis-engage?
Yes the handbrake releases when you lift the clutch in first gear. I have noticed on occasion that it doesn't and it bleeps. I then find that a door is slightly open or I haven't got my seat belt on.
Appreciate 0