BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Why DDC and 20 inch wheel can't come together for X2 M35i?

02-09-2020, 12:52 PM   #1
rgc588
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Why DDC and 20 inch wheel can't come together for X2 M35i?

The OEM build doesn't allow DDC (dynamic damper control) build together with 20 inch wheel. I was wandering what is the reason behinds that?

Also, does M sport suspension + DDC = Adaptive M suspension?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #2
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Hi, I went through this dilemma last year when ordering my X2. In the end I went for DDC with the 19 inch wheels, but would have loved to have the 20s.

BMW does not want to give an answer to that question. I literally even raised it when I was at BMW Welt in Munich last month as well as previously with my dealership genius.

BMW welt's genius implied it might be due to the way they're made on the production line....but that sounds hokey. What does it take to put 20s, esp as customer is paying for them?

They couldn't even answer whether there would be any problem with DDC if I fitted after-market 20 or 21 inch wheels.

p.s. I noted that downunder you can't get DDC as an option on the M35i because it comes with 20 inch wheels so it's definetely mutually exclusive.

Anyone know if this is the same on X1?

Not sure if the Msport with DDC is the same as 'Msport adaptive'. I've only heard the latter used for X3.

The DDC options on the Msport X2 gives the same ride height as the non adaptive Msport suspension.

On 'sport' mode it roughly gives the same ride as the non-DDC Msport. When you switch to 'comfort' it smooths the ride noticeably, without being too soft.

You do all this selection through the drive experience switch and on i-drive.

cheers

Last edited by satz; 02-09-2020 at 10:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 11:48 PM   #3
rgc588
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

I am also thinking of getting the DDC with 19 inch wheel. Then replace with aftermarket 20 inch wheel. But, the concern is the DDC may not fit. It's too said that even the BMW genius can't give an answer.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 06:26 PM   #4
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz View Post
Not sure if the Msport with DDC is the same as 'Msport adaptive'. I've only heard the latter used for X3.

The DDC options on the Msport X2 gives the same ride height as the non adaptive Msport suspension.
DDC and adaptive suspension are two different things. DDC is Dynamic Damper Control and is solely a shock absorber valve which changes the damping response. It firms up the ride, but doesn't fundamentally change the suspension.

I have DDC on my X2 and like it a lot. The difference is described at "10% firmer in sport" and "10% softer in comfort", from the non-DDC shock valving. Just right, IMO, and worth the relatively short money.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 11:26 PM   #5
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I'm thinking the DDC dampers/shocks must be physically larger than the standard setup. Perhaps 20" wheels would fit with some spacers? I'd call rim shops and/or rim manufacturers and see what they have to say.
      10-31-2023, 02:47 AM   #6
hnzk
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 535xd

comfort question

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz View Post
Hi, I went through this dilemma last year when ordering my X2. In the end I went for DDC with the 19 inch wheels, but would have loved to have the 20s.

BMW does not want to give an answer to that question. I literally even raised it when I was at BMW Welt in Munich last month as well as previously with my dealership genius.

BMW welt's genius implied it might be due to the way they're made on the production line....but that sounds hokey. What does it take to put 20s, esp as customer is paying for them?

They couldn't even answer whether there would be any problem with DDC if I fitted after-market 20 or 21 inch wheels.

p.s. I noted that downunder you can't get DDC as an option on the M35i because it comes with 20 inch wheels so it's definetely mutually exclusive.

Anyone know if this is the same on X1?

On 'sport' mode it roughly gives the same ride as the non-DDC Msport. When you switch to 'comfort' it smooths the ride noticeably, without being too soft.

You do all this selection through the drive experience switch and on i-drive.

cheers

Hello, I have a selection in one bazaar X2 M35i 2022 with adaptive suspension, I heard that with sports suspension is too hard for longer rides, I was discouraged by many from the m35i due to the harshness of the chassis, my question is if this model with adaptive chassis (0223 Adaptives Fahrwerk) is acceptable for normal driving for comfort?

Thank You very much for answer.

Last edited by hnzk; 10-31-2023 at 02:52 AM..
Appreciate 0