BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) BMW X1

09-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #1
tsmiggy
Rep
Drives: Seat Leon/BMWX1

BMW X1

First post for me.
Hi. All

Because of growing old, and aches and pains, i am finally being forced to accept the fact, that i need a SUV. I am looking at the X1 or maybe a X3, most probably a X1 around 2015/16.

I notice when it comes to the diesels they have two engines 148 and 181 i believe. I have also become lazy in my old age, so it would have to be a Auto. Anyway my question is, there seems to be quite a price difference between the two engines, do you think it is worth going the extra mile for the 181bhp.

Unfortunately this could well be, one of many questions.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

The danger is you get the 148 and you later wish you’d got the 181.
      09-06-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Hi and welcome to the Forum.
One thing to consider is that the current, FWD/AWD X1 (version F48), was introduced to the market in 2016 and anything 2015 or earlier is likely to be the previous rear wheel drive version (E84), which was built from 2010-15.
The current model is generally viewed as a much more 'complete' car than its predecessor.
I bought a new X1 18i sDrive xLine auto March 2018 and have found it good to drive compared to a couple of previous Audi Q3s, not underpowered (for my purposes anyway) and economical (overall 40.1mpg at 17k miles), although I can get up to 49mpg on a longer run. I don't drive slowly, but do keep to UK speed limits (mostly anyway!).
So hope that is of some help and good luck with your search.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #4
tsmiggy
Rep

Thank you for getting back to me, and thank you for your help.I must admit i did exactly that with a previous car,went for the lower powered version, and then upgraded it. I was aware that a new model was introduced around the 2015/16 time, but i was not aware when.

It would appear that it is worth looking at then 2016 models, as they would be the newer models.Locally the price does seem to jump up on 2016 models and i assume that is the reason.

Thanks..... i will be back
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 01:34 PM   #5
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW. X1 f48. 20i xLine xDrive

Hi. I had the e84 18d 14 plated and found it a bit underpowered. Now have the f48 20i which a lot better. The f48 is a completely different car to the e84 completely better car. As you are like me and past your youth you really do need to ensure the car has lumber support
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 03:09 AM   #6
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 35D, F48 X1, M4, 911, 3.2

The spec does vary quite a lot on used cars for sale and I would look at this carefully, (2WD or 4WD, leather versus cloth seat, folding mirrors, electric seats, etc., etc... run flats versus normal tyres, 17/18 or 19" wheels) ......as IMHO the 148bhp diesel is fast enough for most people and the Sports Auto gearbox is just a dream............ and there are probably more 18d's for sale than 2.0d's - they both have the same 2 litre engine, it's just that the 2d is mapped differently

Last edited by Bluewater335D; 09-07-2019 at 03:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 11:01 AM   #7
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater335D View Post
The spec does vary quite a lot on used cars for sale and I would look at this carefully, (2WD or 4WD, leather versus cloth seat, folding mirrors, electric seats, etc., etc... run flats versus normal tyres, 17/18 or 19" wheels) ......as IMHO the 148bhp diesel is fast enough for most people and the Sports Auto gearbox is just a dream............ and there are probably more 18d's for sale than 2.0d's - they both have the same 2 litre engine, it's just that the 2d is mapped differently
The spec on used BMW does vary a lot , and you will find it hard to get what you want , best to go via BMW web site for cars.
I found the 20i (192hp)a huge improvement on power over the 18d (143hp) although the derv has an advatage on torque. The last BMW I had on normal tyres was a e61 after getting rid of the early Run Flats but the f48 is on normal tyres and I find the ride much improved
Regarding the Auto box the e84 had the 8 speed box the 20i has the Sport Dual clutch Auto with paddles. Only ever tried them once but the box is a dream. Dont know about current spec but on 18 cars this box was extra £1600 over the Sports Auto box, so yes specs do vary a lot.
Likewise ensure you get LED as the old Halogen are not very good (I still prefered the Adaptive Zenons in the e84.For us it must have lumber support seats , just a pity BMW dont offer Comfort Seats in the X1 range

Prev e84 18d avarage 46.8mpg ver 62000 miles the f48 20i is doing 37.2mpg over 22,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #8
tsmiggy
Rep

Thank you all for giving me some very valuable information. It would appear that i do need to do some homework. To be honest i have taken a quick look, and was very surprised to see, so many options. Ranging from Parking Sensors Front and Rear, just rear, or even none at all. Interior wise various options, and equally lighting wise.So i need to take a real close look.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #9
00max00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 - option loaded

As to the parking sensors, they are really not needed at all on such a small vehicle. Front visibility is excellent, and you have a camera to in the back that allow you to see clearly what is behind virtually eliminated the need to have an audible signal.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 01:00 PM   #10
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

The parking sensors are actually a big help when manoeuvring in tight spots and take much of the guesswork out of figuring out how close you are to an obstruction. Recommended if you can find one so equipped!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 01:26 PM   #11
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00max00 View Post
As to the parking sensors, they are really not needed at all on such a small vehicle. Front visibility is excellent, and you have a camera to in the back that allow you to see clearly what is behind virtually eliminated the need to have an audible signal.
Just remember that a rear view camera isn’t a standard fit in the U.K. Also, on some of the earlier versions of the F48 X1, the all around sensors aren’t a standard fit, so check the spec level on any potential purchase.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 05:02 AM   #12
tsmiggy
Rep

To be honest, my present car is well equipped, and that includes parking sensors on both front and rear, and i do use them. In many ways i am reluctant to give up certain things, but equally i am aware that i may have to, in order to move to a SUV. To complicate matters even more, i am not unhappy with my present car, it is my body, that is not keen.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 06:45 AM   #13
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmiggy View Post
To be honest, my present car is well equipped, and that includes parking sensors on both front and rear, and i do use them. In many ways i am reluctant to give up certain things, but equally i am aware that i may have to, in order to move to a SUV. To complicate matters even more, i am not unhappy with my present car, it is my body, that is not keen.
I’d personally say that sensors are a must have, we have front/rear sensors and the parking camera on ours. I find it easier using my mirrors and the sensors when parking and rarely look at the camera. However my wife almost exclusively uses the camera...

You may want to consider electric memory seats if you are to share the car with someone, saves you having to find that perfect seating position every time.

Some 2016 models didn’t have the adjustable rear seats that allow you to prioritise boot space or rear leg room accordingly and it also has buttons to automatically fold the rear seats from the boot.

The larger professional navigation just looks so much better than the standard version and head up display is useful too.

If your into audio you’ll want some form of speaker upgrade, HiFi or Harmon Kaden.

Comfort access is nice, if not essential

The panoramic sunroof adds light to a cabin that can appear dull in M Sport guise without it

The EDC and Sport Plus gearbox aren’t really worth the money, I’ve rarely used the sports chassis setting as the car is too firm for UK roads with it in sport. I have used the steering paddles a handful of times, doesn’t suit the car and I much prefer to select the sports setting on the gearbox as this keeps the car in the right gear for spirited driving

Think that covers my experience of the X1
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 05:53 AM   #14
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmiggy View Post
I’d personally say that sensors are a must have, we have front/rear sensors and the parking camera on ours. I find it easier using my mirrors and the sensors when parking and rarely look at the camera. However my wife almost exclusively uses the camera...

You may want to consider electric memory seats if you are to share the car with someone, saves you having to find that perfect seating position every time.

Some 2016 models didn’t have the adjustable rear seats that allow you to prioritise boot space or rear leg room accordingly and it also has buttons to automatically fold the rear seats from the boot.

The larger professional navigation just looks so much better than the standard version and head up display is useful too.

If your into audio you’ll want some form of speaker upgrade, HiFi or Harmon Kaden.

Comfort access is nice, if not essential

The panoramic sunroof adds light to a cabin that can appear dull in M Sport guise without it

The EDC and Sport Plus gearbox aren’t really worth the money, I’ve rarely used the sports chassis setting as the car is too firm for UK roads with it in sport. I have used the steering paddles a handful of times, doesn’t suit the car and I much prefer to select the sports setting on the gearbox as this keeps the car in the right gear for spirited driving

Think that covers my experience of the X1
I agree. Both front and rear sensors, plus camera; there have been too many sad accidents of children being run over by SUVs that did not have these
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:50 AM   #15
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 35D, F48 X1, M4, 911, 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
I agree. Both front and rear sensors, plus camera; there have been too many sad accidents of children being run over by SUVs that did not have these
Parking sensors have become almost essential for many - people are more and more relying on technology and are becoming lost without it
- who travels with a map these days as most blindly follow there SATNAV instructions
- manual handbrakes are becoming a thing of the past as they are automatically put on and taken off by technology
- holding the car on a hill is not longer needed as the car does it for you ....... the conventional "hill start" in the UK driving test will soon become a thing of the past
-the auto X1 now changes to neutral when you are moving if "it" thinks it can save fuel by doing so

The list goes on and on and is added to every year - is it good? - probably, but new drivers now take all these functions for granted as though they have always been there and older drivers soon get used to them
Appreciate 1
Beagler74.50
      09-11-2019, 06:33 AM   #16
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The EU will be legislating for reversing cameras to become a mandatory fitting on new cars in the next couple of years - following the same decision in the US - which is designed to save the lives of pedestrians unwittingly walking behind vehicles that are move backwards.
Personally, I think that is a very sensible idea and I understand that regardless of the outcome of Brexit, our manufacturers will still adopt EU construction rules.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #17
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater335D View Post
Parking sensors have become almost essential for many - people are more and more relying on technology and are becoming lost without it
- who travels with a map these days as most blindly follow there SATNAV instructions
- manual handbrakes are becoming a thing of the past as they are automatically put on and taken off by technology
- holding the car on a hill is not longer needed as the car does it for you ....... the conventional "hill start" in the UK driving test will soon become a thing of the past
-the auto X1 now changes to neutral when you are moving if "it" thinks it can save fuel by doing so

The list goes on and on and is added to every year - is it good? - probably, but new drivers now take all these functions for granted as though they have always been there and older drivers soon get used to them
At times I still carry maps , I am in the Lake District next week and will be using OS maps as I can not be bothered setting the routes.

I do find the Parking Brake on the X1 very annoying. It does not always come on automatically. I complained about this to service dept and was told sometimes its Auto other times its not , they refered me to the manual that reads " Depending on the parking situation ,the parking brake is automatically engaged" but they did not know what parking situations did/did not activate the system. I would say it its Auto in 90% of times , but I cannot understand why not the other 10% it always releases as I drive off. I believe they should be auto or not,not sometimes.

With regards to parking cameras , we had them on a Nissan QQ but quickly added sensors as well, just not happy with having to keep looking at the screen.found having both was great.

A couple of items that are annoying me( only occurs very infrequently) ---a warning noise accupanied with a flashing red screen, telling I am getting too near the car in front at the speed I am going at. This has only ever occured on long straight roads with empty road in front of me,no oncoming traffic. And the car asking if am I tired and should it find a location to rest. Normally not long after I start a journey.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #18
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

You can change the sensitivity of the flashing red screen thingy.

This is also from handbook

Depending on the parking situation, the parking brake is automatically engaged. ( What situations?)

Steptronic transmission: in some parking situations, engaging selector lever position P automatically applies the parking brake. In these cases the parking brake is automatically disengaged when shifting from selector lever position P.

Last edited by Beagler; 09-11-2019 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 12:12 PM   #19
Bluedave789
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Garage List
2018 X1  [0.00]
BMW X1

Hi

First post so stick with me lol

I bought a new 2018 BMW X1 and was pleasantly surprised as to the power and handling from a 2.0 Auto

Only issues I have had is it was recalled twice for rear brake lamp clusters and programming.

Apart from that what a brilliant car

Appreciate 0