BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Why are you getting an F48 X1?

07-02-2015, 10:13 PM   #1
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Why are you getting an F48 X1?

Pretty basic question, why are you adding the new X1 to the stable? I'm interested to hear the reasons, especially considering the competition in the segment is aggressive and there are some great deals on '15 X1 out there right now. Personally, I've got a few:

-First and foremost, I need a daily other than the Z4, something a bit more subtle.

-It's got more space to haul samples for work while visiting clients.

-It's got more utility than the f30 3er. I've been going camping more often lately and the X1 should be a good tool for this sort of thing while maintaining a subdued street presence.

-Along similar lines, I'd love to enjoy some light off-roading in the X1, something not exactly possible in the 3er. With a small lift kit and some all terrains, I'll be hitting the trails!

-With a tow hitch, I'll be able to bring a dirt bike with me on a rack, or tow a small trailer with ease.

-It's a brand new generation of a BMW model. Who doesn't love owning a BMW in it's first year available?

-I'm happy with the power/performance and MPG combo. The f30 power plant is similar and I've been impressed with that.

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |

Last edited by tiltmode43; 03-11-2016 at 01:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 05:22 PM   #2
Verker
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: MB C-Class 220 T-Model

Well, back in 2009 when i registered here on the forums i was interested in buying a BMW 1er convertible or coupe, unfortunately i didnt. We ran 2 Mercedes C-Class estates meanwhile, and even if the current one is still ok (diesel, auto transmisson, leather, sunroof, 90.000km, 5 yrs old) i have to admit that i am sick of driving this dinosaur (heavy steering, only 5 gears) around the city. It might fulfill all needs, but it doesnt attract me at all, at least not after all those years.

Back to the new X1:

Looking for a stylish, compact SUV for both daily city drive and family use, the F48 seems ideal. Its small enough to feel like a "normal" car and allow easy access to city parking / small garages, yet has an elevated seating position and enough room to carry the kids on vacation. From my POV this looks like a "light" version of the X3 which i always felt was a tad too big / too expensive for my likings.

The X18d with 150hp should be ideal, in the EU there even will be a S16d model with a 3 zylinder engine around 120 hp, might even sattle for that since i am not aiming at german autobahn with this car.

What would sell me on the car when i get the chance to check it out at the dealer is interior quality. Compared to Audi / Mercedes / even VW the old BMW 1er and X1 generation was a joke, bad plastic, very bad seats, even the leater versions would not look good. If the new X1 interior is as nice as it looks in pictures i have seen, then i am willing to carry its heavy pricetag. Will see.

regards,

VerKer
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2015, 03:48 AM   #3
Madriver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 435ix GC EB/IW MPPK+MPE

Wife is getting the new X1 because ..

- Able to drive in the snow when we go ski trips in the winter time. Don't think my 435GC is appropriate.

- More cargo space, roomier for passengers (the in-laws...)

- Ride height is higher and better visibility for roads ahead, at least that's for my wife's POV.

- We had an E84 before and she hated the super heavy steering wheel. Although I loved the "feel" myself, I can't say I enjoy the ride that much. Too harsh at times. F48 is for sure going to be better in that department.

- X3 is too much of a SUV for her, not utilizing all the spaces so its a waste. X5 is simply too big for her to maneuver. The new F48 would be just the right size (similar to Q3 I suppose)

- Love the new design!
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #4
did75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 f48 x1 xline (eu spec)

Hi there

I'm getting one as well just because it fits my needs perfectly. Practicality of an active tourer but with the looks that set it apart from a Kia :-) I think it's a looker.

Size is OK as well coming from a f20 1 series. I was about to order an AT a couple of months ago, very glad I waited or didn't pick the European face lifted q3

I'll get a xline 18d automatic transmission with quite a lot of extras, mineralgrau with oyster interior (I can still change that). I'll attend a closed room event this week to see the beast in flesh.

If interior space was not an issue I definitely would have gone for another 1 series hatchback, very close to perfect daily driver.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2015, 12:01 AM   #5
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Planning on getting one for these reasons:
  • Space for my growing 8-year-old son in the back seat + a friend or two
  • Compact enough to park in Seattle's crazy small parking spaces
  • With xDrive it's able to get to my office, grocery store, and son's school during the couple of weeks per year we have snowy conditions
  • Powerful enough to tow a small-ish RV trailer (15 ft or so) with aftermarket Class 3 hitch
  • Can drive it long distances down dirt roads to get to the best fishing spots
  • Much better SUV than competitors (Lexus NX, Acura RX, Audi R3, Mercedes GLA, etc), IMHO
  • Has features that the Porsche Macan lacks, such as HUD
  • X3 is unnecessarily large for our purposes
  • Looks like an X5 that got shrunk in the wash (and nicer style than X3, IMHO)
  • With back seats folded it's big enough to fit my large-ish R/C model planes
  • One of the least expensive BMWs you can buy
  • Perhaps the main reason: Amazingly my wife approves of it.

Last edited by ShinySteelRobot; 07-14-2015 at 04:19 AM..
Appreciate 2
      07-08-2015, 01:07 AM   #6
mgerousis
Private
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sdrive18d

Quote:
Originally Posted by did75 View Post
Hi there

I'm getting one as well just because it fits my needs perfectly. Practicality of an active tourer but with the looks that set it apart from a Kia :-) I think it's a looker.

Size is OK as well coming from a f20 1 series. I was about to order an AT a couple of months ago, very glad I waited or didn't pick the European face lifted q3

I'll get a xline 18d automatic transmission with quite a lot of extras, mineralgrau with oyster interior (I can still change that). I'll attend a closed room event this week to see the beast in flesh.

If interior space was not an issue I definitely would have gone for another 1 series hatchback, very close to perfect daily driver.
I am in the exact same situation as you! I have actually ordered AT, but I cancelled in the final hours before production when I saw the pics of the x1 (I was very lucky that the AT order was cancelled!). Try to take some pics from the closed room event to share with all of us! I am going for Glacier Silver with Black Leatherette interior 18d SE auto.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 02:13 AM   #7
did75
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerousis View Post
I am in the exact same situation as you! I have actually ordered AT, but I cancelled in the final hours before production when I saw the pics of the x1 (I was very lucky that the AT order was cancelled!). Try to take some pics from the closed room event to share with all of us! I am going for Glacier Silver with Black Leatherette interior 18d SE auto.

Not sure I can. I've read in french forum about a guy who went to this kind of event last week (about the new x1 as well) and their mobile phones were tapped so their camera were unusable during the event. google glasses anyone ?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 02:24 AM   #8
mgerousis
Private
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sdrive18d

Quote:
Originally Posted by did75 View Post
Not sure I can. I've read in french forum about a guy who went to this kind of event last week (about the new x1 as well) and their mobile phones were tapped so their camera were unusable during the event. google glasses anyone ?
ok, you can always share your experience with us without pictures
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 02:25 AM   #9
did75
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerousis View Post
ok, you can always share your experience with us without pictures
I will
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 10:32 PM   #10
Sincity
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 vs C63-undecided.EDIT: C63

Getting ready to replace my aging '08 RDX (currently at 91k miles) in 2-3 years and don't want anything Japanese anymore. GLA doesn't do it for me (can't stand that mini iPad on the dash). Macan too expensive and don't need anything that size (Macan/Q5). Will also consider new Tiguan.

Kleemanized C63
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #11
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Awesome responses, everyone!

Funny enough, I just bought a CPO E84 this past weekend. BMW USA has told dealers they HAVE to get rid of as many as they can, ASAP. I've heard that if dealers can't move some stock by 8/9, they're going to send them to auction, so I imagine the official USA launch on the F48 X1 will be around 8/15.

So what does this mean? Right now you can score a hell of a deal on a CPO E84 X1, both as a purchase or lease. The car I picked up has the full CPO warranty for another 45mo/66k miles with various options included, purchased as a CPO for below trade-in value. Figured I'd throw this all out there for any prospective buyers - dealers are very enthusiastic to move inventory right now.

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 03:16 AM   #12
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

I'm a llittle late to the party. But this thread never really gets old.

Placed my order last week (UK) for xLine 20i in Platinum Silver/Oyster leather. The only colour combo in BMW 2016 colour range really stood out IMO. We're not getting 25i any time soon here in the UK, if at all. And when we get it, it'll be the same price as 25d, which would've been over my budget (with options taken into account). I didn't want a diesel. I do no more than 5k Miles every year and mostly in short 2~3 miles round trips. Diesel just won't work. Delivery confirmed in week 44 (last week of October), fingers crossed.

I'd been looking for a small SUV (under 4.5m long) that I can keep for 7~8 years. Mazda CX5 was the top contender. But it's a 2012 car and it'll be two generations behind when I retire it in 8 years. Interior looks great, specially the facelift version. But there are too many hard plastic parts like all other Japanese cars. We also don't have their top petrol version in the UK and top trim AWD only comes with diesel. Also tested the GLA. Perfect for me, size-wise and option-wise. But interior looks awkward and I didn't like the whole dealership experience. Very snobby and not at all helpful with questions, etc. Very off-putting. Q3 is old and I didn't want to wait for the next gen, which I'm sure will look just like a chubby A3. What's the deal with Audi? I consider myself a car geek and I'm still finding it increasingly more difficult to tell their cars apart.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 06:48 AM   #13
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Need to get a better city car than M3. I will bury the M3 somewhere for days where I can go for road trips. I have garage constraints now and will probably lease for the first time if terms are decent. In the U.S. I wished the 19"s had all season tires and power folding mirrors were standard but I will add as much as I can and try and keep it to 40k.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 11:52 PM   #14
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

I'm thinking of checking out the new X1's when they hit the USA. I was thinking of a 328i xdrive sedan but maybe I'll wait for the new X1's. I've always liked BMW SUV's but didn't like the current X1. I felt it was too low to the ground and cramped in head room. This new one is taller and better looking. I think I like it. My only concern is that on a lot of these small SUV's the door opening width is small. I'm not a very large person but I hate having my butt rub against the b-pillar whenever entering/exiting. I'll have to test drive one.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 07:50 AM   #15
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Garage List
My other vehicle is an F80 and I live in New England. Enough said!
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2015, 08:27 AM   #16
madwolfa
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

It looks like a perfect little family car! Audi is boring, Merc is ugly.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 02:59 PM   #17
nickrice20
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xDrive

The wife fell in love with a lightly used E84 during a test drive and with discounts the F48 was almost the same price and looked a whole lot nicer.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #18
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

I almost bought a X3 in 2011, but opted for the Audi Q5. There was something I didn't quite like about the design of the X3 and it felt too much like a mommy hauler---I'm a mommy btw! I have to downsize my 2015 Chevy Suburban (and glad to do it!) and the X1 design is spot on to me--love it! The size seems ample enough for me and two littles.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #19
Bluezed
Bluezed
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 25d xLine MG

I was looking for an SUV that actually had some 'S' about it. Didn't want anything too big, just quick-ish, comfortable and roomy enough for 4 adults and some weekend luggage.
Tried the new 2.0d Discovery Sport which just seemed enormous.
Like the new Qashqai, very comfortable but too slow.
Q3 just felt claustrophobic and personally I don't like the shape.
Didn't want to wait to see what the new Tiguan is like although I have a nagging doubt I should have?
Liked the idea of the new F Pace but from the measurements I thought it might be too big, also not available until March / April 2016.

It was a difficult decision but have now ordered the X-Line 25d.... hopefully in time for Christmas.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 04:38 PM   #20
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluezed View Post
Liked the idea of the new F Pace but from the measurements I thought it might be too big, also not available until March / April 2016.

It was a difficult decision but have now ordered the X-Line 25d.... hopefully in time for Christmas.
Ian Callum knocked it out the park with the F-Pace. But sizewise it's more an X3 competitor than an X1 competitor, IMO, and the F-Pace pricing bears that out. BMW should be watching it carefully; it'll be interesting to see how the forthcoming 2017 X3 compares.

Based on your stated goals it sounds like you made a great choice with the X1.
Appreciate 0