BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) I test-drove the new X1, and I have a video!

10-29-2015, 04:15 PM   #23
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpm17 View Post
I just cannot get over the awful awful look of the standard wheels. I mean really BMW?! They look cheap and totally detract from the overall great look and design of the body.
Style 566s are a no cost option or you can upgrade to the 19" 511 for $600.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot View Post
I think what he's saying is that he can't fit two child seats + a third person in the back row. Haven't tried it in an X1 yet, but my wife's Tiguan has the same issue -- two child seats leaves enough room for half an adult in the back seat.

Most likely 2 child seats will fit just fine by themselves.
I had the Diono Rainier and Chicco Keyfit 30 in our Tiguan side-by-side, the Keyfit in the middle and the Rainier behind the passenger. No issues with grandma sitting behind the driver. Same setup also works in the F31 and SQ5. It also worked in the Countryman, I'd have a hard time believing it wouldn't work in the F48.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 09:29 PM   #24
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Style 566s are a no cost option or you can upgrade to the 19" 511 for $600.

I had the Diono Rainier and Chicco Keyfit 30 in our Tiguan side-by-side, the Keyfit in the middle and the Rainier behind the passenger. No issues with grandma sitting behind the driver. Same setup also works in the F31 and SQ5. It also worked in the Countryman, I'd have a hard time believing it wouldn't work in the F48.
Can it be done? Technically, yes. Will the person in the back seat be comfortable? Maybe, if the back seat passenger is quite small, and you're going on a short trip, and your rear passenger doesn't go for seconds in the dessert aisle too often.

For example my wife and I brought a friend of hers with us in the Tiguan along with her kid and ours, and the friend was crowded on both sides between the car seat and the door, and she's a thin, petite Asian lady not much over 5 feet. Felt bad for her back there and the drive was only across town. (If it was me and a couple of office buddies there would've been no way it would have worked.)

IMHO, for most people, most of the time, it's not a really workable solution unless you're putting Hobbits back there.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 03:16 AM   #25
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Can it be done? Technically, yes. Will the person in the back seat be comfortable? Maybe, if the back seat passenger is quite small, and you're going on a short trip, and your rear passenger doesn't go for seconds in the dessert aisle too often.

For example my wife and I brought a friend of hers with us in the Tiguan along with her kid and ours, and the friend was crowded on both sides between the car seat and the door, and she's a thin, petite Asian lady not much over 5 feet. Felt bad for her back there and the drive was only across town. (If it was me and a couple of office buddies there would've been no way it would have worked.)

IMHO, for most people, most of the time, it's not a really workable solution unless you're putting Hobbits back there.
It really comes down to buying the correct car seats. My wife has sat comfortably in the back Tiguan for hours on road trips with the our infant in the middle. Same with our F31, you just need to make sure you spec the appropriate car seats, like the Diono lineup or for an infant carrier, the Keyfit 30, so that you have 3 seat usability in these vehicles. Two seats with 17" bases give you plenty of room for a passenger in the third seat.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2015, 12:08 PM   #26
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
It really comes down to buying the correct car seats. My wife has sat comfortably in the back Tiguan for hours on road trips with the our infant in the middle. Same with our F31, you just need to make sure you spec the appropriate car seats, like the Diono lineup or for an infant carrier, the Keyfit 30, so that you have 3 seat usability in these vehicles. Two seats with 17" bases give you plenty of room for a passenger in the third seat.
Sounds like a good idea, if you can get those. We have the kind of car seats with the fancy side impact protection. They cost a little more but my wife is not from the US and she's pretty paranoid about SUV accidents (other SUV drivers), hence the car seats. Happy wife, happy life.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 01:37 PM   #27
ND40oz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like a good idea, if you can get those. We have the kind of car seats with the fancy side impact protection. They cost a little more but my wife is not from the US and she's pretty paranoid about SUV accidents (other SUV drivers), hence the car seats. Happy wife, happy life.
I originally went with the Recaro ProRIDE for the side impact protection because they were the only ones tested for it a few years ago. Once Diono released the Rainier I switched over since they have the equivalent side impact protection. The older Radian lacked this but you do give up some of the narrow width at the top of the seat with the Rainier, so instead of being 17" all the way up, it's 18.5" at the top. You just have to do your research and figure out what works best for your kids and vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 09:12 PM   #28
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

This is a great review. It's a fun little car. I do feel like it has a good bit of road noise on the highway, but nothing I can't live with. I didn't take my girls with me, but now want to go back and try the car seat installed backwards. It didn't appear to be an issue and wasn't one in my Q5.

Last edited by Upgrade15; 10-30-2015 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0