E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Z-PCing a new car

12-06-2006, 06:12 PM   #1
B2Blain
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Working

Z-PCing a new car

Sorry but another Zaino question.

After much thought and research I decided to go with the Zaino system for my two month old car.

My car is black sapphire metallic and is a pain to keep clean. It already has some very light swirling that can only be seen direct sunlight - probably due to washing more than anything. There are also two light scratches that I would like to get rid of on the trunk and door frame.

Thought I would start with Z-PC. I have a Porter Cable 7424 and still need to purchase a backing plate and cutting/buffing pads. Anyone think this is a bad idea. I know you are suppose to use abrasives sparingly but I thought I would start fresh since even new cars don't come with perfect exteriors.

Would I need to use a claybar going this route?

Do I need to be careful with getting the polish on the windshield and plastic/rubber parts also?

After polishing I would following the steps of the Zaino system.

Last question - once I get a sealent on the paint and maintain the layering will I be rid of the swirls, or will I need to start over at some point?

Would appreciate comments.

Thanks!

530i/Black Sapphire Metallic/Black Dakota Leather/Anthracite Maple Trim/Premium/Sport/Steptronic/Navigation/PDC/Comfort Access/Premium Sound

Ordered: 7/6/06
Scheduled for Production: 7/7/08
In Production: 7/7/06
In Body Shop: 7/12/06
In Paint Shop: 7/13/06
Assembly Started: 7/14/06
Assembly/Finish/Quality Check: 7/19/06
Production Completed: 7/20/06
Dispatched to Port of Exit: 7/24/06
Departed Bremerhaven on the Anna: 8/2/06
Arrived at Port Hueneme: 8/24/06
Arrived at dealer: 8/29/06

Last edited by B2Blain; 12-06-2006 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 07:27 PM   #2
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2Blain

Thought I would start with Z-PC. I have a Porter Cable 7424 and still need to purchase a backing plate and cutting/buffing pads. Anyone think this is a bad idea. I know you are suppose to use abrasives sparingly but I thought I would start fresh since even new cars don't come with perfect exteriors.
It's not a bad idea. It's very hard to remove an appreciable level of clear with a PC. Z-PC may not have enough cut to remove more than surface swirls, though. You may want to get a more intermediate polish along with Z-PC to attack the deeper scratches.

Quote:
Would I need to use a claybar going this route?
You don't need it, but I would recommend it.

Quote:
Do I need to be careful with getting the polish on the windshield and plastic/rubber parts also?
It's always good to try to avoid plastic/rubber with the PC, since it's a moving device. That said, most compounds/polishes will not stain trim, so if you do touch them just use some alcohol/water or a trim dressing to clean them off.

Quote:
Last question - once I get a sealent on the paint and maintain the layering will I be rid of the swirls, or will I need to start over at some point?
That depends more on your maintenance than the sealant. A sealant will not prevent or even mitigate swirls, it will only protect against UV fade, rail dust, etc. Impact marring (swirls from washing) will still happen regularly if you wash/dry improperly, so when you're done polishing I highly suggest reading up on proper washing techniques to avoid future swirling.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 07:51 PM   #3
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus
It's not a bad idea. It's very hard to remove an appreciable level of clear with a PC. Z-PC may not have enough cut to remove more than surface swirls, though. You may want to get a more intermediate polish along with Z-PC to attack the deeper scratches.
This seems to really be true on my car. I've tried Z-PC with a cutting pad and haven't been able to remove some scuffs on the paint from someone who will be unnamed (my wife) shutting the truck by putting a 12 pack of soda on the top.... I picked up some Poorboys SSR 2.5 and was able to take care of it with a cutting pad, then followed up with some Z-PC and a polishing pad to finish it off nicely.

Quote:
It's always good to try to avoid plastic/rubber with the PC, since it's a moving device. That said, most compounds/polishes will not stain trim, so if you do touch them just use some alcohol/water or a trim dressing to clean them off.
Be careful with the soft rubber trim around the windsheld and back window. If you hit them with the PC and any polish, it has a way of "scrapping" the rubber (I've done it by accident in a couple of spots). Use blue painters tape around there parts and the chrome if you don't trust yourself not to hit these areas.

Quote:
That depends more on your maintenance than the sealant. A sealant will not prevent or even mitigate swirls, it will only protect against UV fade, rail dust, etc. Impact marring (swirls from washing) will still happen regularly if you wash/dry improperly, so when you're done polishing I highly suggest reading up on proper washing techniques to avoid future swirling.
Couldn't agree more. The only thing I would say extra is that having a good coat of sealent on the car will make washing it easier as most of the dirt will just slide off when you rinse it and the rest will come off with little to no pressure and a good quality wash mitt.

FYI I did Z-PC the car as soon as I got it after I clayed the car and I did notice the depth of the shine increase (at least in my view). Paint prep before sealing (especially with Zanio) makes all of the difference and it's really worth the time to do it right.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2006, 08:30 PM   #4
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo
Paint prep before sealing makes all of the difference and it's really worth the time to do it right.
Truer words have never been spoken. People often neglect prep while spending too much time on LSP. Better to spend the time on prep, and pick any half-decent sealant/wax.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 12:21 AM   #5
B2Blain
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Working

All the responses help. I only have two small areas where there are scratches. You think I can remove them with a more abrasive polish by hand. Thanks!

530i/Black Sapphire Metallic/Black Dakota Leather/Anthracite Maple Trim/Premium/Sport/Steptronic/Navigation/PDC/Comfort Access/Premium Sound

Ordered: 7/6/06
Scheduled for Production: 7/7/08
In Production: 7/7/06
In Body Shop: 7/12/06
In Paint Shop: 7/13/06
Assembly Started: 7/14/06
Assembly/Finish/Quality Check: 7/19/06
Production Completed: 7/20/06
Dispatched to Port of Exit: 7/24/06
Departed Bremerhaven on the Anna: 8/2/06
Arrived at Port Hueneme: 8/24/06
Arrived at dealer: 8/29/06

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 06:09 AM   #6
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2Blain
All the responses help. I only have two small areas where there are scratches. You think I can remove them with a more abrasive polish by hand. Thanks!
Meg's Scratch-X works great for that. That's what I use for areas that I can't get the PC to like around and inside the door handles. Use it with a dense foam applicator and it works nicely.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 08:07 AM   #7
Crawlings
Rep
Drives: The Danger Ranger

How long should you wait after receiving your new car before putting the first Zaino on? Would you put the first coat on before putting a clearbra on it?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 08:21 AM   #8
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlings
How long should you wait after receiving your new car before putting the first Zaino on? Would you put the first coat on before putting a clearbra on it?
You can do it right away; I would wait until after the clear bra though (assuming you're getting it in the first week), since the installer will remove any Zaino on the front of the car with alcohol and water.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 11:17 AM   #9
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
just be carefull with the ZPC, it is an abrasive and if you use it incorectly the car could come out worse then it started. just read the directions and go slow with the buffer
Appreciate 0