ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #23
SocalBM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M sa View Post
It's amazing the amount of people so fucking HP happy regardless of the ugly ass car it may be in!!! C7 is ugly, you like it and it can lap the M3? Great go effing enjoy it, hell cat had 12 million HP and goes to moon and back in 10 seconds? Wow go wet your pants cause it's still an ugly ass car driven by people that hate looking at people like us in a BMW! These threads get so freaking old, for 30k you can take a Chevy nova and make it a street racer like no tomorrow that would dust a Lambo and I am sure the interior of the Nova would be similar to hell pussy cat

I am pressed with the power on this car, new Shelby supposedly is going to be 750 + hp...so effing what? Good luck putting that to the ground without killing your self or some other poor schmuck next to you while your flooring it.

Christ....talk about closed-minded, ignorant elitists.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #24
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms21 View Post
While I can agree with you that the Hellcat is not attractive.... TO ME. It very well may be to others. There are plenty of people out there that think BMW's look like ass.

If you think the C7 is ugly....it may be time for an appt to see the Optometrist.

Not all people that drive these cars are drunk on their own Kool-Aid like you are with your precious BMW. .....Psssst BMW's are like fucking Toyotas throughout this country. You really think people see a BMW these days and say "Damn....he/she is driving a BMW" People that drive other cars couldn't give a rats ass about what you drive.

Oh and BTW -- this is the "vs" other car section. You are free to just move on if you don't like the topic at hand.
To each their own I am not a BMW fan boy.. Love most cars just not the plastic made American shit made cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #25
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalBM View Post

Christ....talk about closed-minded, ignorant elitists.
Just cause you said so sure... Now get off this forum and go drive a nice hell cat and join their group
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #26
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:
To each their own I am not a BMW fan boy.. Love most cars just not the plastic made American shit made cars.
You certainly sound like a BMW fanboy when you say stuff like "all american cars are shit." Just take a deep breath and understand that this is a car forum where people like to discuss car topics...so not everything will be about BMW.

To the OP, while the Hellcat will be a formidable dragster, but I highly doubt consumers will cross-shop it with the M3/M4....two entirely different cars with different goals in mind.

The Dodge challenger series really doesn't handle well, they are better off drag racing or cruising the highway...if anything the Hellcat was intended to one-up Ford's GT500 and Chevy's ZL1.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 02:39 AM   #27
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSpy
American cars are POSs. End of story.
I disagree.

And, it's not like European cars are superior in every way. We have some pretty dodgy examples coming from a few manufacturers, both in the past and still today... I know, I see and drive some of them on a regular basis...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #28
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

you don't have to desire to own the car to appreciate and respect a 700+ hp car with a warranty for $60k.

I'm not planning on buying one, but it makes me smile to think that Dodge is making it.

And I personally love the name Hellcat. Sounds like a badass fighter jet nickname, and well deserved for such a senseless beast.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #29
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
you don't have to desire to own the car to appreciate and respect a 700+ hp car with a warranty for $60k.

I'm not planning on buying one, but it makes me smile to think that Dodge is making it.

And I personally love the name Hellcat. Sounds like a badass fighter jet nickname, and well deserved for such a senseless beast.
This
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 11:11 PM   #30
GlobalScientist
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Vert

It looks "supersized" in person.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 11:22 PM   #31
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:

Except the Hellcat was a WWII radial engined prop driven Navy fighter.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #32
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:

Agreed
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #33
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

+1
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 10:32 PM   #34
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
It does the Motor Trend figure 8 in 24.7 seconds, the same as the 2,500 lbs . Alfa 4C.

And stops from 60mph shorter than the M6. 116' vs 109'.

My point is, so F'n what..?

It will still get destroyed ON THE STREETS in the hand of average Joe.
700hp means very little, unless you have a small unit & need to "drag to brag"... right? Er.. like you are really going to sling a drag car into corners...lol

So it comes down to Hilltards wanting a 4,400lbs 95% drag car..!
So why spend $60k on one, when you can buy an old Mustang for $8k, put $5k into the engine and be blowing down the track in 8s, on the weekends..?

Because a Hellcat is nearly 100% about drag racing... not about driving!

Last edited by w3rkn; 08-29-2014 at 10:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 11:19 PM   #35
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
It does the Motor Trend figure 8 in 24.7 seconds, the same as the 2,500 lbs . Alfa 4C.

And stops from 60mph shorter than the M6. 116' vs 109'.

My point is, so F'n what..?

It will still get destroyed ON THE STREETS in the hand of average Joe.
700hp means very little, unless you have a small unit & need to "drag to brag"... right? Er.. like you are really going to sling a drag car into corners...lol

So it comes down to Hilltards wanting a 4,400lbs 95% drag car..!
So why spend $60k on one, when you can buy an old Mustang for $8k, put $5k into the engine and be blowing down the track in 8s, on the weekends..?

Because a Hellcat is nearly 100% about drag racing... not about driving!
I don't totally disagree with you but admit that this is funny. when someone provides data showing that the car CAN handle (figure 8 track) you still say the Hellcat gets smoked when driven by average joe?

#1 I don't think you can say someone who buys a HC is an "average joe" any more than someone who buys an M3/m4. you're gonna have people who are skilled/experienced drivers buying each... you're also gonna have no-skill Joes buying each. maybe more "true" enthusiasts with Ms but there are a lot of great drivers who still live amerian muscle and can drive like nobody's business.

#2 most races on the street are going to be drag races .. just about any "I ran against X car in my BMW" video I've seen is in a straight line.

Don't get mad but think about that. The HC will feel like an enmormous boat but it still apparently gets t done and I don't think it devalues BMW to admit that. Look at the Camaro Z/28 .. another big car that you don't want to underestimate on the street, canyon or track if you don't want to get your feelings hurt.

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 10:13 PM   #36
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinYellowMakesMeHard View Post
I would take an M4 over it in a heartbeat. Better interior, better build-quality, better chassis and miles better looking.

BUT, that 6.2 v8 is not to be taken lightly. The noise is just insane.
Actually, the interior in the Hellcat is way better than anything BMW offers at 60K. I had the opportunity to see and sit in the Hellcat about a month ago. The nappa leather incredibly soft and smells like premium Italian leather. The 8.4" UConnect and LCD dash are light years more modern and advanced than BMW's offerings. The performance gauges and customization blows the M4 out of the water. The car looks like a beast in person and much nicer than the photos online.

And, ironically, the materials are softer and richer feeling than the plastic tubs that BMW now has in their 60K or less cars. I can't stand our 2014 X3. Everything feels cheap and you can see the door paint from the inside of the car because there is a gap in the seals...and this is the way they designed it. The body roll is atrocious and the steering feel is numb (yes, I digress, X3 is not an M4).

In the end though, the Hellcat and the M4 are totally different cars. But I don't think the M4 would beat the Hellcat on the track if average drivers were driving. The HP, brakes, etc are incredible on the Hellcat and should not be underestimated.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 10:15 PM   #37
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms21 View Post
While I can agree with you that the Hellcat is not attractive.... TO ME. It very well may be to others. There are plenty of people out there that think BMW's look like ass.

If you think the C7 is ugly....it may be time for an appt to see the Optometrist.

Not all people that drive these cars are drunk on their own Kool-Aid like you are with your precious BMW. .....Psssst BMW's are like fucking Toyotas throughout this country. You really think people see a BMW these days and say "Damn....he/she is driving a BMW" People that drive other cars couldn't give a rats ass about what you drive.

Oh and BTW -- this is the "vs" other car section. You are free to just move on if you don't like the topic at hand.
So refreshing to see someone post who isn't a blind and biased fanboy. Thanks alms21.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 10:17 PM   #38
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Last I checked, we're in America and most cars are American cars. So I don't think you love most cars!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 10:41 PM   #39
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy92782 View Post
I would say in "spirit" the Challenger is probably better cross-shopped against an M6 than an M4. That sounds ridiculous but both cars are large, heavy, comfortable and extremely fast cross country cruisers that won't be at home on a road course.

What gets me excited is the Charger Hellcat.... That thing is gonna go M5 hunting for $40K less...
If you check Car and Driver's tests of the Hellcat and the M5 the cars are not that far apart. I have no illusions about beating a Hellcat on the street but a rolling race between 30 and 70 would be dead even according to C & D. I am sure that beyond that that Hellcat's massive power advantage would take over but the M5's DCT and optimal gearing (and underrated power) would keep the race closer than most would think. Yes I'm an M5 fanboy.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #40
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinYellowMakesMeHard View Post
I would take an M4 over it in a heartbeat. Better interior, better build-quality, better chassis and miles better looking.

BUT, that 6.2 v8 is not to be taken lightly. The noise is just insane.

Yea, I can see the cross shopping though. Real performance enthusiasts are going to be drawn to both of these cars.

As for the sound, that thing is SICK!

Still, I'm not choosing the Hellcat over an M.

I do want to be at a BMWCCA HPDE event when someone brings the Hellcat though, and I want to see the Group C instructor taking a first timer out on a big course with that thing. He'll be turning pale and calling his lawyer to ensure his will is valid/updated. Heck, in a typical road course with a 1/2 mile straight, that thing could probably hit 165+. Try hauling 4400lbs down from THAT kind of speed a few laps in a row on even good factory brakes/pads and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #41
Np2014
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Bsm/Sb

Great engine and sound shame they cant get the cars weight down under 4000lbs.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #42
Killer-Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E60 M5 & '12 128i ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer-Bimmer View Post
Hey now I never said "you" I responded in generality to your post.

I get it, but what I don't get is not getting a car for straight like speed then saying "yeah, but wait till it sees a corner"... Lmao. WGAF when a factory is going to sale an 11sec street car for 60k. It's good for all and I plan on possibly just possibly having one parked next to my others just so I can go be that stupid hick blowing the doors off the BMW fan boy that can't even change his own oil.

It's always in fun and I need more meds

Cheers
Here's to more meds man!

I do think that a car that can only go straight fast and can't take a turn is only half a car and for the longest time, the euros could lord it over 'Murika because the latter's cars couldn't do the turn thingies so well.

BUT in the last few years....that is changing. Which is a good thing, for those of us who like to drive and turn. The more options we have to do it with, the better.
I agree, wouldn't say half a car though just different purposes. The things that make a good road car don't make a good track car and a good track car doesn't make a good 1/4 mile car. I enjoy each for what they are, not for what they are not! Though BMW does about the best job pulling them all together, but still won't dominate one category!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #43
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer-Bimmer View Post
I agree, wouldn't say half a car though just different purposes. The things that make a good road car don't make a good track car and a good track car doesn't make a good 1/4 mile car. I enjoy each for what they are, not for what they are not! Though BMW does about the best job pulling them all together, but still won't dominate one category!
Agreed.
      09-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #44
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

The latest Motortrend ran a comparo between the Hellcat and a Camero ZL1. Predictably the Hellcat handily won the drag race and the ZL1 handily won the road course. The Hellcat got the checkered flag in the end due to street presence. On an LA freeway a highway patrolman drove past the ZL1 and drew even with the Hellcat. To the surprise of he driver of the Zl, the Hellcat suddenly gunned it. He was even more surprised to discover that instead of pulling the Hellcat over, the cop was filming it on his iPhone.

I got to hand it to the boys at Dodge for understanding their market and giving it what it wants. Most people buying a throwback Camero, Mustang or Dodge muscle car want to get gawked at and win that drag race. For those shopping for a track capable car, Dodge has the Viper.

This car isn't for me and there is no real risk of it being cross-shopped with our beloved ///M's. Still, if I ever ran across one of these monsters on the street, I'd be the biggest gawker around.

The inside headlights are actually air intakes.