BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Big screen retrofit

06-21-2018, 11:36 PM   #1
SHKM8
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18d

Big screen retrofit

Hey,

I've seen videos like this where people have swapped the smaller iDrive screen with a larger one.

Was planning on following this guide to swap to the larger 8.8 widescreen:
f46.blogspot.com/2016/10/how-to-upgrade-your-65-inch-screen-to.html

(The 10.1 inch from the X5 needs the dash to be cut up, but the X1 was designed for the 8.8 inch)

Has anyone done this with their X1?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #2
Mushy007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 2D MH M Sport 2021

Ive looked into this in detail, its straight forward and requires a code change. Two issues though, getting the larger screen for a reasonable price, once fitted your warranty is void, so i decided against it.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 04:05 AM   #3
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

Get an Android one like the one before that fits perfectly, works smoothly and is plug n play (no coding required)
https://exclusivecarauto.com/1025-to...aa14678cf0e5d2

Check videos of this screen working (this a friend's X1, the same guy installed mine)

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 03:49 AM   #4
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Installation in my X1 by a friend from the Greek X1 Forum

With a little coding you can extend the display (have not tried it yet)

One of the best things about the big display is the addition of a back camera

After the installation of an anti-glare screen protector

New versions with 2BG RAM and Android 7.1 are already out. Here is a photo by one of our members after installation

Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      08-07-2018, 09:49 PM   #5
F48_Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

The heck...
It's Android based but they don't support Android auto?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 04:50 AM   #6
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Why would you need Android Auto? This is like a separate Android tablet
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 08:08 AM   #7
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garmz View Post
The heck...
It's Android based but they don't support Android auto?
The factory unit is not android based.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 06:00 PM   #8
jennim
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48

I just brought my x1 F48, does my warranty is down if I replace to the 10.25 inches.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #9
daforce007
Registered
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

Newbie question here... How exactly do these aftermarket screens work? Do they pair with your phone via USB cable? or do you need to put your phone in tethering mode, and use the car's screen to connect to the wifi?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #10
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

It does not affect the warranty of anything that is not relevant to the big screen!
The phone can either be connected to the idrive system or to the Android system.
Having internet in the Android system means that you tether your phone to the screen via wi-fi

In other news, new version of the big Android screen have arrived including 8-core processors, 2GB RAM/32 GB Rom and Android 8 version
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 05:25 AM   #11
bmwfansam
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 X1, sline

Hi, I am new to all this.
I have a 2018 X1 F48 with 6.5' Screen. It has Navigation Plus. I am told that the screen is the same for Navigation Plus and Navigation Professional. Is there an option or a way to make the display on Navigation Plus to 8.8' like on the Navigation Professional?
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 02:05 PM   #12
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

F48 6.5” to 8.8” CID retrofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShankM8 View Post
Hey,

I've seen videos like this where people have swapped the smaller iDrive screen with a larger one.

Was planning on following this guide to swap to the larger 8.8 widescreen:
f46.blogspot.com/2016/10/how-to-upgrade-your-65-inch-screen-to.html

(The 10.1 inch from the X5 needs the dash to be cut up, but the X1 was designed for the 8.8 inch)

Has anyone done this with their X1?
Hi
I switched my 6.5” touch display for a genuine bmw oem 8.8” version last week and am absolutely delighted. I have given some details on the x1 bimmercode adventure thread. Basically got correct model 8.8” display (8797400) for my build year off fleabay. Fitted, worked out the 4 coding changes needed for f48 with NBT (full details given in my jan 31 2.23 pm post in x1 bimmercode adventure thread) and made using bimmercode and Vgate pro box. New screen works like a dream, basically I now have Nav plus functionality (excluding hud and touch controller) on the CID. It has lifted the car, the functionality is much better with significant additional info and graphics displayed. I had made few other code changes so I also have tyre temp as well as pressures showing for rdc. I can see attraction of going for a retrofit 10” android display but my car is only 14 months old and in warranty so I didn’t want hassle with non BMW parts or additional cost, my outlay for screen, Vgate and bimmercode was under £450. Having said that I will probably go for reversing camera retrofit next and possibly upgrade the idrive controller to correct touch version. A man has to have a hobby and it keeps me out of mischief!
History _ I bought a stock xdrive x line 2.0d from U.K. dealer in Dec 2017 which didn’t have the Nav plus, reversing camera and HK audio I really wanted but came at biggish discount and additional £2k bmw partex allowance. I have now fitted HK door speakers and tweeters (including HK door surrounds), 8.8” display and it has really lifted the feel . The audio upgrade transformed the sound quality (again fleabay parts except door surrounds which are extortionately priced). The larger screen lifts the quality feel of the car and I would recommend. Interesting point when I asked my dealer to do the retrofit, they tried to tell me a new head unit was required ( I knew this was not the case as bmw literature says nav and Nav plus have same unit), then they said that I had to have a touch controller fitted as well as screen (uk dealer price for screen and touch controller approx £2,500 plus Labour!). Again I was dubious as the 6.5” touch screen had a non touch controller. The reality is a 8.8” touch screen works just as happily as 6.5” screen on existing head unit and without touch controller. Trickiest part was finding all coding changes needed for f48 with NBT as most posts/videos are for NBT f30’s . Anyhow, basically 4 coding changes in 3 locations needed - so go for it if any advice needed on fitting just ask

As at Dec 2020, it is now possible to buy the door surrounds (excl speakers) from a well known Chinese online market place, several forum members have commented that they are happy with the quality.

Last edited by MJE60; 12-12-2020 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 4
      02-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #13
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfansam View Post
Hi, I am new to all this.
I have a 2018 X1 F48 with 6.5' Screen. It has Navigation Plus. I am told that the screen is the same for Navigation Plus and Navigation Professional. Is there an option or a way to make the display on Navigation Plus to 8.8' like on the Navigation Professional?
Thanks in advance.
Hi
I think you will find that With 6.5” screen you have basic business nav. Nav plus has same nav maps but larger 8.8” screen (this was case for U.K. but perhaps country specific. In U.K. nav plus also gave a touch controller and now I think hud). You can upgrade the screen without needing software upgrade , just fdl code changes.
Appreciate 1
SHKM814.50
      02-01-2019, 02:34 PM   #14
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daforce007 View Post
Newbie question here... How exactly do these aftermarket screens work? Do they pair with your phone via USB cable? or do you need to put your phone in tethering mode, and use the car's screen to connect to the wifi?
Hi
In brief, additional cabling via adapter allows the new unit to plug into the car’s existing wiring loom. A separate control box with android software provides additional functionality (such as CarPlay). The android box basically feeds into the idrive system as an aux input, so you can switch between idrive ordinary menu and functions and the android software functionality. Idrive fdl coding changes for screen size and resolution allow idrive software to work using larger screen. The advantage is you are not pirating bmw software or trying to “hack/crack bmw CarPlay or other app integration software, these functions are instead all are licenced android versions. Given BMW are now Scr*w*ng buyers with annual licences for CarPlay instead of one off lifetime charges, it also saves annual running costs .
Please note, I have not fitted an aftermarket screen/system and cannot comment on how reliable they are. Most appear to originate out of China.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-28-2019 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 2
Beams8.50
SHKM814.50
      02-02-2019, 10:28 AM   #15
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Hi
In brief, additional cabling via adapter allows the new unit to plug into the car’s existing wiring loom. A separate control box with android software provides additional functionality (such as CarPlay). The android box basically feeds into the idrive system as an aux input, so you can switch between idrive ordinary menu and functions and the android software functionality. Idrive fdl coding changes for screen size and resolution allow idrive software to work using larger screen. The advantage is you are not pirating bmw software or trying to “hack/crack bmw CarPlay or other app integration software, these functions are instead all are licenced android versions. Given BMW are now Scr*w*ng buyers with annual licences for CarPlay instead on one of lifetime charges, it also saves annual running costs
Are these the same units sold by Avin,Ugode etc as they seem like nothing but trouble in the 3 and 4 series forums. Some long posts on that section and they make for bad reading.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 01:16 PM   #16
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryg View Post
Are these the same units sold by Avin,Ugode etc as they seem like nothing but trouble in the 3 and 4 series forums. Some long posts on that section and they make for bad reading.
Sorry, no idea but many of the units I have seen are very similar and all look to be coming out of China. My post was replying to a query about how these “android” units are able to work in a beemer rather than recommending them. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. These Chinese 10.25” android units do however potentially solve CarPlay problems for some X1 owners who otherwise cannot get carplay. I upgraded my 6.5” CID with a genuine BMW 8.8” screen and so do not know how reliable they are.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-02-2019 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
SHKM814.50
      02-02-2019, 01:36 PM   #17
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

Quote:
Sorry, no idea but many of the units I have seen are very similar and all look to be coming out of China. My post was replying to a query about how these “android” units are able to work in a beemer rather than recommending them. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. These Chinese 10.25” android units do however potentially solve CarPlay problems for some X1 owners who otherwise cannot get carplay. I upgraded my 6.5” CID with a genuine BMW 8.8” screen and so do not know how reliable they are.
Thanks for that I too fitted the 8.8inch screen but I was going to fit the android unit until I read all the posts on the 3/4 series forums regarding these units and I still cant believe why people are buying these for around the £400 mark when you see all the problems people are having they have went from android 4.4 t0 7.1 and now 8.1within months and still the problems persist. If they were not so problematic I may have went for one of these units but all of them seem the same just re badged maybe in 2 years time they will get it sorted.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1500481

link from 3 series forums.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #18
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

I don't know what are the problems with the F30 Android units but in Greece (where X1s are not equipped with any navi solution) many owners have installed these units without problems.
For as low as 300 euros getting one is the most sensible solution.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      02-04-2019, 05:15 PM   #19
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
I don't know what are the problems with the F30 Android units but in Greece (where X1s are not equipped with any navi solution) many owners have installed these units without problems.
For as low as 300 euros getting one is the most sensible solution.
You make a very good point, installing an android unit also allows people to get sat nav if they only have media and communications head unit from the factory. My own opinion is that the mapping for my own country (u.k) in BMW business navigation is out of date, some road changes made 5 years ago are still not showing in latest updates, so alternative mapping might also be beneficial. It is great to have so many X1 owners from different countries around the world sharing knowledge and experience. Do X1 owners in Greece have a favourite/recommended supplier for android system, €300 is a good price. I assume this is for box and cabling using existing display screen or does it include new larger screen also?
Best wishes
Appreciate 2
      02-06-2019, 04:01 AM   #20
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
You make a very good point, installing an android unit also allows people to get sat nav if they only have media and communications head unit from the factory. My own opinion is that the mapping for my own country (u.k) in BMW business navigation is out of date, some road changes made 5 years ago are still not showing in latest updates, so alternative mapping might also be beneficial. It is great to have so many X1 owners from different countries around the world sharing knowledge and experience. Do X1 owners in Greece have a favourite/recommended supplier for android system, €300 is a good price. I assume this is for box and cabling using existing display screen or does it include new larger screen also?
Best wishes
For most of us in Greece ordering a BMW navi system would increase ridiculously the price of the X1 due to the absurd Greek tax system. The initial solution of the local BMW affiliate was to retrofit BMW integrated navi (aftermarket but BMW endorsed) for 690 euros and free map upgrades for 2 years. This retrofit used the existing 6,5 screen.
However this solution is incompatible with after July 2017 F48 that have the NBT EVO system.

Therefore we have been looking for an affordable 3rd party solution and found many Chinese manufactured ones in various sites (including Ali-express).
Most of Greek users have bought from a Spanish retailer at around 500 euros (https://exclusivecarauto.com/advance...f0e5d2&x=0&y=0) that has proven fine.

Greek shops were also selling the same units but at 800-1000 euros!!
Installation was done by some our club members so the whole upgrade (including rear camera) was cheap.
As time passes more and more units have flooded Aliexpress and ebay lowering the prices to almost 300 euros. One of our members has just bough one of these cheaper ones.
All in all the android screen upgrade is worth the money even if you already own a BMW navi pack, since you benefit from the larger screen that enhances the looks of the car, an android tablet and touch screen as well as alternative navi software with live traffic and frequent map updates.
Personally I paid 480 euros for one of the first android 4.4.4. units but I can use google maps, waze, sygic as well as other software on a big hefty 10,25 screen and got a rear camera too!
Good deal considering the price of the BMW original navi systems let alone the heavy Greek taxation.

Last edited by iceman7; 02-07-2019 at 05:54 AM..
Appreciate 2
MJE60678.00
      02-06-2019, 08:17 AM   #21
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
For most of us in Greece ordering a BMW navi system would increase ridiculously the price of the X1 due to the absurd Greek tax system. The initial solution of the local BMW affiliate was to retrofit a BMW integrated navi (aftermarket but BMW endorsed) for 690 euros and free map upgrades for 2 years. This retrofit used he existing 6,5 screen.
However this solution is incompatible with after July 2017 F48 that have the NBT EVO system.

Therefore we have been looking for an affordable 3rd party solution and found many Chinese manufactured ones in various sites (including Ali-express).
Most of Greek users have bought from a Spanish retailer at around 500 euros (https://exclusivecarauto.com/advance...f0e5d2&x=0&y=0) that has proven fine.

Greek shops were also selling the same units but at 800-1000 euros!!
Installation was done by some our club members so the whole upgrade (including rear camera) was cheap.
As time passes more and more units have flooded Aliexpress and ebay lowering the prices to almost 300 euros. One of our members has just bough one of these cheaper ones.
All in all the android screen upgrade is worth the money even if you already own a BMW navi pack, since you benefit from the larger screen that enhances the looks of the car, an android tablet and touch screen as well as alternative navi software with live traffic and frequent map updates.
Personally I paid 480 euros for one of the first android 4.4.4. units but I can use google maps, waze, sygic as well as other software on a big hefty 10,25 screen and got a rear camera too!
Good deal considering the price of the BMW original navi systems let alone the heavy Greek taxation.
Thank you for this
The screen in your car looks great. If your Greek X1 owners club decided to post some information, or even better video, on actually fitting (including how to run (thread wires) rear camera cable from tailgate all the way to the head unit) it would be very valuable/interesting. I am thinking of installing after-market back-up camera into my (NBT evo) but am worried it is too big a job! I managed to upgrade my screen (just bmw 8.8 not android 10.25) but removing panels and trim for very first time made me very anxious I would break things.
Thank you again and best wishes
Appreciate 1
SHKM814.50
      02-07-2019, 05:57 AM   #22
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Unfortunately we have not yet recorded the actual installation process but it is actually easier than it seems.
Appreciate 0