BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Strange loud noise is coming from the GND wire after installing carplay

06-18-2021, 08:16 PM   #1
beesagi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 2016

Exclamation Strange loud noise is coming from the GND wire after installing carplay

Hi There,
I have recently installed Car play unit to my 2016 BMW X1 F48 NBT unit. Carplay does work without any issues however, there is a strange loud noise is coming randomly from the ground wire when I start the ignition or open/close the trunk! After talking to the seller he told me I need to connect the black wire to any car screw which I did. However, the noise doesn't go away.

Please note, the sound doesn't happen frequently and there is no electric spark.

I have uploaded a video here..
In this video, you can see the car play unit Ground wire is connected to the top screw and the strange noise happened at the 5th second which caused the phone to vibrate.

please, could someone let me know if this is a serious issue or not! And also, is there anything else I can do to avoid the sound. thanks.

Last edited by beesagi; 06-18-2021 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 11:16 AM   #2
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

What MMI box did you get? I installed an Andream MMI in my '16 and didn't have to ground any wire.

What is this wire you're grounding? Does the noise go away if you disconnect the mmi box?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 07:39 PM   #3
beesagi
Registered
Rep

I bought this unit from aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...37ac4c4dqW9bZt

yes, there is no sound when the carplay unit is disconnected.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 07:59 PM   #4
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beesagi View Post
I bought this unit from aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...37ac4c4dqW9bZt

yes, there is no sound when the carplay unit is disconnected.
Looks almost same as mine - i didnt ground any wire - you shouldn't need to, either. Your mmi may be faulty.

I added a rear camera too and didnt even bother grounding any wire for rear camera.

If you haven't yet, try to see if anyone had this problem at this thread - https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 08:15 PM   #5
beesagi
Registered
Rep

the power harnessing cable came with few extras.. Ground wire, third party Mic connector and the Aux pin.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 11:17 PM   #6
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the power harnessing cable came with few extras.. Ground wire, third party Mic connector and the Aux pin.
Not needed - i had a bunch extra wires - gnd - aux - didnt even use any of this. I did tap into the 12v wire coming off the mmi to power the rear camera but that's only wire i worked with.

Curious - did your HU have the green optic cable? Move that over if present?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 04:57 AM   #7
beesagi
Registered
Rep

Yes, I did move the optic cable. Still the loud noise doesn't stop. Thinking to return it!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 09:49 AM   #8
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I did move the optic cable. Still the loud noise doesn't stop. Thinking to return it!
I'd see if they would replace with another one. No reason to be making any type of noise during startup.

Only noise mine has is a 'click' when i switch from mmi to idrive which is normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 04:32 PM   #9
pedro mtech
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Quote:
Hi There,
I have recently installed Car play unit to my 2016 BMW X1 F48 NBT unit. Carplay does work without any issues however, there is a strange loud noise is coming randomly from the ground wire when I start the ignition or open/close the trunk! After talking to the seller he told me I need to connect the black wire to any car screw which I did. However, the noise doesn't go away.

Please note, the sound doesn't happen frequently and there is no electric spark.

In this video, you can see the car play unit Ground wire is connected to the top screw and the strange noise happened at the 5th second which caused the phone to vibrate.

please, could someone let me know if this is a serious issue or not! And also, is there anything else I can do to avoid the sound. thanks.
Same problem as mine. It happens randomly and always when I open a door or trunk then a loud noise come from the Speaker. Carlinkit Customer service suggested me to tap ground-audio and USB ground wires and try if It works. Did You fixed the problem?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 04:40 AM   #10
pedro mtech
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Anybody who can help me?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 02:40 AM   #11
pizzachicken
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1

Having same issue

Quote:
Hi There,

Having this same exact issue, got my unit off Aliexpress. Please tell me one of you have found a solution? pedro mtech
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 05:23 AM   #12
recpippu
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 F48 18d sdrive

Quote:
Hi There,
there is a strange loud noise is coming randomly from the ground wire when I start the ignition or open/close the trunk!
What do you mean by "Loud noise coming from wire" ? To clarify,
Are you hearing the sound from speakers or panels or inside the unit? What type of sound is it? Do you have any better videos of the sound?

To troubleshoot further,
  • Why do you relate the sound to ground wire? What was your troubleshooting to make this determination?
  • is your ground connection secure and tight?
  • Can you measure the resistance from your ground wire to a different bare metal body part and post here?l
  • You mentioned that the sound has some relation to door opening. By Any chance any wires are getting pinched or pulled during door opening?
  • Do you see any screen flickering when the sound is there?
  • Do you have subwoofers installed in your car? by any chance is the sound coming from Subwoofer?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 02:04 PM   #13
pizzachicken
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by recpippu@yahoo.com View Post
What do you mean by "Loud noise coming from wire" ? To clarify,
Are you hearing the sound from speakers or panels or inside the unit? What type of sound is it? Do you have any better videos of the sound?

To troubleshoot further,
  • Why do you relate the sound to ground wire? What was your troubleshooting to make this determination?
  • is your ground connection secure and tight?
  • Can you measure the resistance from your ground wire to a different bare metal body part and post here?l
  • You mentioned that the sound has some relation to door opening. By Any chance any wires are getting pinched or pulled during door opening?
  • Do you see any screen flickering when the sound is there?
  • Do you have subwoofers installed in your car? by any chance is the sound coming from Subwoofer?
I'm not OP, but I assume we have the same issue from what he's describing after installing an aftermarket Carplay unit. The unit itself doesn't use a ground wire - one is included with the cable to connect aftermarket reverse cameras, which I didn't use.

I unplugged an aftermarket sub/amp I installed, and the issue persists, though not as enhanced without the loudness of the sub. This is directly related to the Carplay box as I didn't have this issue until now.

For me, it's a persistent hissing you'd typically get at high aux volumes, regardless of my actual stereo volume. When I open/close doors, or turn on the car (anything to trigger the powering of accessories), I get a loud pop through all speakers. I assume it's some resistance of the head unit or amp turning on.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 07:38 PM   #14
recpippu
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 F48 18d sdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzachicken View Post
For me, it's a persistent hissing you'd typically get at high aux volumes, regardless of my actual stereo volume. When I open/close doors, or turn on the car (anything to trigger the powering of accessories), I get a loud pop through all speakers. I assume it's some resistance of the head unit or amp turning on.
Thank you. So I believe there are two issues

a. The popping noise
b. The hissing noise
My first reaction is some kind of erroneous signal getting into the unit which gets played back through speakers. The hissing noise is generally can come if there is a voltage imbalance or stray signal. ( if you have an Home theatre amplifier at home with RCA inputs, you can increase the volume, touch one of the RCA connectors and hear the noise)

This can be caused by multiple factors
1. Incorrect grounding
2. Incorrect wiring
3. a correct wiring but contacts are not made properly
4. A faulty or poor electronic component

Unfortunately the troubleshooting is difficult and time consuming, especially via a forum. My suggestion ( if possible) is to wire the unit with bare minimum connections , check for the sound, and then add on more and more inputs to it to see where you start getting the hissing noise. (Method of elimination of suspects)

Alternatively if you have access to another similar unit, you can try swapping it ( Which I am sure you would have tried already if you have access)
Appreciate 0