BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Radio damaged , what are my upgrade options

06-17-2021, 06:40 AM   #1
SilverArrowF48
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F48,F30, C Class Mercedes

Radio damaged , what are my upgrade options

I somehow managed to snap off my Nav antenna pin from my radio, I'm currently using an mmi box for CarPlay but to be honest I didn't know I will missed my Original satnav with split screen option that much and know I want it back, so what are my options apart from repairing my unit, what type of head unit can I have, what can upgrade to, I don't want an mmi box
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 09:13 AM   #2
SilverArrowF48
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Will this fit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-1-ser....m46890.l49286
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 10:14 AM   #3
SilverArrowF48
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Since no one is interested, I saw this, not sure if it will work for F48

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1400663
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 12:16 PM   #4
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I believe any ID5/6 HU should work. They support carplay with the wifi antenna, so you can ditch the mmi box altogether (unless its for rear camera) & code in carplay.

That post should be enough to get you started - you'll need VO code in order to make it work properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 02:54 PM   #5
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

The GPS antenna and connector are pretty simple things, so it may be to repair or get around the broken pin. Can you show a photo of the damaged connector?

Replacing the whole HU is expensive and sounds pretty involved to code and activate.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 03:33 PM   #6
SilverArrowF48
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homersbud View Post
I believe any ID5/6 HU should work. They support carplay with the wifi antenna, so you can ditch the mmi box altogether (unless its for rear camera) & code in carplay.

That post should be enough to get you started - you'll need VO code in order to make it work properly.
Thanks Homersbud, I will upgrade to ID5/6 HU, I'm not bothered about ConnectedDrive as it looks it is being shutdown for my 3017 car a lot of the apps are not working, so this will give me an opportunity to upgrade. Is there a particular ID5/6 I should be looking for there different versions out there, I don't think the one in link I posted earlier will work as the voltage is showing 14v and mine is 12v
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 04:32 PM   #7
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverArrowF48 View Post
Quote:

Thanks Homersbud, I will upgrade to ID5/6 HU, I'm not bothered about ConnectedDrive as it looks it is being shutdown for my 3017 car a lot of the apps are not working, so this will give me an opportunity to upgrade. Is there a particular ID5/6 I should be looking for there different versions out there, I don't think the one in link I posted earlier will work as the voltage is showing 14v and mine is 12v
From my research, i don't think it matters what ID5/6 you get - just need code to your car once it arrives.

This is the best place to search - smart folks on this forum that offer their service for this type of upgrade.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=426
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 04:46 PM   #8
SilverArrowF48
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

From my research, i don't think it matters what ID5/6 you get - just need code to your car once it arrives.

This is the best place to search - smart folks on this forum that offer their service for this type of upgrade.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=426
I saw this on YouTube, this guy did what I wanted to do, it looks straight forward,

I will now go and look for one eBay,
Thanks for your help, I will post my progress
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 06:14 AM   #9
SilverArrowF48
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

installed nbt evo id4 and got a guy on ebay to remove cp, nav is working , however there some issues, i emailed the guy he says he code the evo to what my car has, so no cd/dvd icon in multimedia but shows an icon in nav but won't play, no time in nav only dashes so can calculate time of arrival, i checked fa it is showing 6un shouldn't it be 609, the guy told me it bad practice to save and write fa to car, is he write, there are somany option missing from the nav, i would rather have the full options not just what my car has, can any one help?
forgot to add , no USB option either although usb works for flashing but just not for audio, not even showing in multimedia

Last edited by SilverArrowF48; 07-21-2021 at 06:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 08:57 PM   #10
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
installed nbt evo id4 and got a guy on ebay to remove cp, nav is working , however there some issues, i emailed the guy he says he code the evo to what my car has, so no cd/dvd icon in multimedia but shows an icon in nav but won't play, no time in nav only dashes so can calculate time of arrival, i checked fa it is showing 6un shouldn't it be 609, the guy told me it bad practice to save and write fa to car, is he write, there are somany option missing from the nav, i would rather have the full options not just what my car has, can any one help?
forgot to add , no USB option either although usb works for flashing but just not for audio, not even showing in multimedia
head over to the F30>nav, idrive, audio board & post your issue there. There are a few coders who can probably help you with remote coding.

you can also look at https://www.codemybimmer.ca & see if they can help you out.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2021, 09:05 AM   #11
SilverArrowF48
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
head over to the F30>nav, idrive, audio board & post your issue there. There are a few coders who can probably help you with remote coding.

you can also look at https://www.codemybimmer.ca & see if they can help you out.
Thanks Homersbud
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 05:30 AM   #12
SilverArrowF48
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

I replaced the entrynav with a used entrynav from eBay, everything is working apart from navigation which dimmed out, I checked the vin on the radio , the "donor" is still there, I plug it directly to my car , I know that's not right way but there is no power with the emulator I bought, I'm currently using mmi for navigation. The old entrynav has navigation but I s6un and the replacement is 606, do I need to change this and the vin on the donor to mine
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 09:42 AM   #13
SilverArrowF48
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Fixed by replacing Nav like for like, coded and all working now, if you want to see how I did it head over to f30 coding section
Appreciate 0