BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Help with Android 10 screen install

06-21-2020, 06:44 PM   #1
Movnmik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Help with Android 10 screen install

So my journey to get the Avin unit installed has hit a couple of bumps.. The first bump was the iDrive controller.. Had some sticky buttons and thought to take it apart and clean.. unfortunately it's a paint to take apart and I broke it.. So $180 later an Ebay Idrive is now on its way to me..ugggh

2nd bump is that the HU will not pull out maybe about an inch or two.. I barely can get my hands in there to feel the back of the unit. So what other thing can I do to get to the back.. It seems the entire center console has to come out..Is there another way? ANyone else have this issue?

Thanks
Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 04:53 AM   #2
SDriver18i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 s18i 2019

Did you take a look a this?

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 07:50 AM   #3
Movnmik
Enlisted Member
Rep

I did. It shows that he has slack enough to pull the head unit out. My HU won't move more than two inches. I found the below link which It notes that they don't give enough slack at the factory and the center console has to come out. I've seen links to the newtis.info for other things and realize this is one of the best resources to disassemble any BMW

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nel/1VnYH8qpJS
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 08:44 AM   #4
SDriver18i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movnmik View Post
I did. It shows that he has slack enough to pull the head unit out. My HU won't move more than two inches. I found the below link which It notes that they don't give enough slack at the factory and the center console has to come out. I've seen links to the newtis.info for other things and realize this is one of the best resources to disassemble any BMW

Damn that sucks. I'm waiting for my MMI and I'm gonna disassemble mine too.
Appreciate 1
Movnmik13.50
      06-24-2020, 12:08 PM   #5
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:

I had the same issue. I solved it by being brave (or stupid) and keeping Firm pressure and slowly rocking the HU side to side (that is pulling hard a few mm each side alternately). This action slowly released enough slack in the cable to be able to access the back of the HU and release the cables. Please note, if you do this it is at your own risk, I cannot guarantee it will work for everyone.
Appreciate 2
      06-24-2020, 07:25 PM   #6
Movnmik
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
I had the same issue. I solved it by being brave (or stupid) and keeping Firm pressure and slowly rocking the HU side to side (that is pulling hard a few mm each side alternately). This action slowly released enough slack in the cable to be able to access the back of the HU and release the cables. Please note, if you do this it is at your own risk, I cannot guarantee it will work for everyone.
I have most of the center console out...it's taking longer than I would like as I'm doing it very slowly to make sure I don't break anything else...it's too expensive!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:28 PM   #7
Movnmik
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDriver18i View Post
Damn that sucks. I'm waiting for my MMI and I'm gonna disassemble mine too.
Maybe you will be lucky and you will have enough slack.. I'm sure they keep slack to a minimum to make it less likely to be stolen.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #8
SDriver18i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Maybe you will be lucky and you will have enough slack.. I'm sure they keep slack to a minimum to make it less likely to be stolen.
It was! I just upgraded my speakers and installed a sub, they had to remove it to connect the wires and it just came out super easy. Sucks for yours tho! Hope you find a way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 06:54 PM   #9
Movnmik
Enlisted Member
Rep

Luck was on your side! Sometimes it's better to be lucky..this is one of those times.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 10:58 PM   #10
Movnmik
Enlisted Member
Rep

Spent most of last week slowly taking apart the center console to get to the wire bundle. Once the center console was out, I was able to get some slack. What I believe was the the issue was the routing of the right bundle. It was placed under the AC ducting whereas in the tech docs it shows it exposed.

I had to take out the duct and was able to get the slack I need. It was a true PITA. I made sure to change the routing when I reassembled so I won't have to go through this nightmare again. On the positive I was able to clean up the spilled drink on some of the trim parts.

Should have it completed with some pics in the next couple of days.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 11:30 PM   #11
Movnmik
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just tried to post some pics but when I attached them they appeared upside down. So I then edited the pic so it is upside down and then attached and the pic still appeared upside down. WTF? Anyone know what the issue could be?

Last edited by Movnmik; 06-30-2020 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 10:14 PM   #12
Phillipb93
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 f48

Quote:
Spent most of last week slowly taking apart the center console to get to the wire bundle. Once the center console was out, I was able to get some slack. What I believe was the the issue was the routing of the right bundle. It was placed under the AC ducting whereas in the tech docs it shows it exposed.

I had to take out the duct and was able to get the slack I need. It was a true PITA. I made sure to change the routing when I reassembled so I won't have to go through this nightmare again. On the positive I was able to clean up the spilled drink on some of the trim parts.

Should have it completed with some pics in the next couple of days.
Thanks for the info! I'm currently having the same problem. So taking the center console out is the best solution?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 08:19 PM   #13
Infoteknerd
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Quote:

Careful, firm pressure worked for me too, my trial came when putting things back together, out of everything, it was those final clips for the radio faceplate/hvac controls that caused most of my frustration. But once installed it looks good.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 09:59 PM   #14
asolism
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Hey guys,

I currently in the process of installing an Android 10, 12.3 display system on my 2018 BMW X1 (f48). I'm installing the iNAV unit sold by 4x4shop. My car didn't have the navigation package, so I will be installing the aftermarket GPS antenna.
1. I'm not sure where to place the GPS antenna for good coverage but also aesthetics, I would like to keep it out of the view (e.g., under the dashboard ...? ). I'm wondering if there is any pointer or experience placing the GPS antenna that you could share.

2. I would also like to update my iDrive Controller. I don't mind the touch control, neither need it (but if it works with the android unit, I would consider adding it too). I currently have the basic HU (5 buttons) and would like something with the 7 buttons (including tel and nav) and a bigger (modern) wheel. I see a lot of these units on eBay but I'm not sure which one to buy that I just could plug & play but removing old and placing the new with the same cable. Any pointers here?

Thanks in advance,
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 09:26 PM   #15
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by asolism View Post
Hey guys,

I currently in the process of installing an Android 10, 12.3 display system on my 2018 BMW X1 (f48). I'm installing the iNAV unit sold by 4x4shop. My car didn't have the navigation package, so I will be installing the aftermarket GPS antenna.
1. I'm not sure where to place the GPS antenna for good coverage but also aesthetics, I would like to keep it out of the view (e.g., under the dashboard ...? ). I'm wondering if there is any pointer or experience placing the GPS antenna that you could share.

2. I would also like to update my iDrive Controller. I don't mind the touch control, neither need it (but if it works with the android unit, I would consider adding it too). I currently have the basic HU (5 buttons) and would like something with the 7 buttons (including tel and nav) and a bigger (modern) wheel. I see a lot of these units on eBay but I'm not sure which one to buy that I just could plug & play but removing old and placing the new with the same cable. Any pointers here?

Thanks in advance,
Here is a post about GPS antenna location:

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1818903
Appreciate 0