BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Brake fluid: DOT4 vs DOT5 recommendations?

05-18-2021, 09:20 PM   #1
jrveron
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Brake fluid: DOT4 vs DOT5 recommendations?

Hi guys,

It's time to change my brake fluid, and I want to ask you if DOT5 fluid, like Castrol React SRF Racing, is worth the money in the X1 to improve the feeling when braking. I won't track-day my X1, but I'm what you can call a spirited driver.

I'm also changing to Goodridge SS brake lines, a new pair of EBC slotted rotors, and yellowstuff pads.

Should I stay with DOT4 or change to DOT5?

Thanks!
      05-19-2021, 12:04 AM   #2
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

I'm due for brake fluid change soon too. Going with ATE SL.6 DOT 4. Not sure track/DOT 5 spec fluid will improve brake feel, even for spirited driving. On normal roadways, I think very few drivers will utilize the higher boiling point of DOT 5 fluid.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 12:36 AM   #3
jrveron
Captain
Rep

Thanks for your time!

I think the same way. A.F.A.I.K. DOT5 fluids have normal viscosity, which is better for the track but not good for modern DSC or ABS systems, which have thinner valves.

I'm curious, why are you going to use ATE instead of the BMW? Better specs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline2.0 View Post
I'm due for brake fluid change soon too. Going with ATE SL.6 DOT 4. Not sure track/DOT 5 spec fluid will improve brake feel, even for spirited driving. On normal roadways, I think very few drivers will utilize the higher boiling point of DOT 5 fluid.
      05-19-2021, 07:21 AM   #4
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
Thanks for your time!

I think the same way. A.F.A.I.K. DOT5 fluids have normal viscosity, which is better for the track but not good for modern DSC or ABS systems, which have thinner valves.

I'm curious, why are you going to use ATE instead of the BMW? Better specs?
Meets DOT 4 spec, low viscosity, slightly higher wet boiling point and a bit cheaper per oz. Here's the "advantages" listed for SL.6 from FCP Euro's website, which I would take with a grain of salt as some can be good marketing spin:

"Advantages of ATE SL.6:

Low viscosity (thin-bodied)
Permits fastest response by ESP
Optimum brake fluid for electronic brake systems like ESP, ABS, TCS, etc.
Improved handling safety owing to speedy response of ESP
Most vehicle manufacturers already use the low-viscosity DOT 4, Class 6 (ISO 4925) brake fluids in production cars (OEM and OES)"

You won't go wrong with BMW brake fluid for daily use/spirited roadway driving applications.
Appreciate 1
jrveron248.00
      05-19-2021, 09:22 AM   #5
jrveron
Captain
Rep

Awesome, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline2.0 View Post
Meets DOT 4 spec, low viscosity, slightly higher wet boiling point and a bit cheaper per oz. Here's the "advantages" listed for SL.6 from FCP Euro's website, which I would take with a grain of salt as some can be good marketing spin:

"Advantages of ATE SL.6:

Low viscosity (thin-bodied)
Permits fastest response by ESP
Optimum brake fluid for electronic brake systems like ESP, ABS, TCS, etc.
Improved handling safety owing to speedy response of ESP
Most vehicle manufacturers already use the low-viscosity DOT 4, Class 6 (ISO 4925) brake fluids in production cars (OEM and OES)"

You won't go wrong with BMW brake fluid for daily use/spirited roadway driving applications.
      05-20-2021, 01:38 AM   #6
jrveron
Captain
Rep

BTW, I found the ATE SL.6 DOT4 (low viscosity) official specs here: https://www.ate-brakes.com/media/232...t4-sl6-web.pdf

Product properties:
  • Condition Homogenous, transparent
  • Color yellow
  • Boiling point min. 265° C/509° F
  • Wet boiling point min. 175° C/347° F
  • Viscosity at –40° C/–40° F max. 700 mm˛/s
  • Viscosity at +100° C/212° F 1.7 to 2.3 mm˛/s
  • Water content max. 0.20%
      06-03-2021, 09:40 PM   #7
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
Hi guys,

It's time to change my brake fluid, and I want to ask you if DOT5 fluid, like Castrol React SRF Racing, is worth the money in the X1 to improve the feeling when braking. I won't track-day my X1, but I'm what you can call a spirited driver.

I'm also changing to Goodridge SS brake lines, a new pair of EBC slotted rotors, and yellowstuff pads.

Should I stay with DOT4 or change to DOT5?

Thanks!
A little late to this party,

But I've heard good things about pentosin dot4 LV.

So long as you get dot 4 and LV brake fluid, you won't run into a problems. I made the mistake of using regular dot4 on my e82 and the abs does not like it, when braking hard from a high speed I'll get a strange shimmy in the steering wheel. I used a brake bleeder and ran more than 1 1/2 liters through bleeder so there is no chance of bubbles in any of the lines.

I'm not sure if the f48 requires it but you may need to bleed the abs as well when you change the fluid, I think you'll need inpa or ista as I don't think Carly will cut it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 11:47 PM   #8
jrveron
Captain
Rep

Thanks, Makis!

I finally bought the BMW Dot4 LV (83132405977). Here in Mexico was easier to find and cheaper than ATE or Pentosin. Funny, right?

I will be installing SS brake lines and new rotors and pads from EBC.

So, I think I don't need to bleed the ABS unless the system got air from the main cylinder or if the pedal feels spongy after the bleeding. And you're right, I saw it on ISTA, but I'm not sure how to do it. I mean, I know it's an automatic process, but do I need to keep my battery connected? Do I need one of those pressure pumps right into the master cylinder?

Anyway, I'm not planning to do it unless needed. If so, I will update this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Makis View Post
A little late to this party,

But I've heard good things about pentosin dot4 LV.

So long as you get dot 4 and LV brake fluid, you won't run into a problems. I made the mistake of using regular dot4 on my e82 and the abs does not like it, when braking hard from a high speed I'll get a strange shimmy in the steering wheel. I used a brake bleeder and ran more than 1 1/2 liters through bleeder so there is no chance of bubbles in any of the lines.

I'm not sure if the f48 requires it but you may need to bleed the abs as well when you change the fluid, I think you'll need inpa or ista as I don't think Carly will cut it.
      06-14-2021, 11:38 AM   #9
jrveron
Captain
Rep

Hey guys, just a quick update.

I installed SS brake lines and changed the front disks and pads.

I finally had to do a DSC/ABS bleed using ISTA. I believe I did something wrong while bleeding my brakes using the manual pressure pump. Overall, I didn't like this cheap pump. It didn't get the pressure I needed to bleed the brakes (max 10psi).

So for the second run, I bought the Motive pressure bleeder. What a difference! It's way better than the manual pressure pump; I use 20psi. BMW says that the maximum is 2bar (29psi). Keep in mind that it's a must if you need to do the DSC/ABS bleeding with ISTA.

I use this video as a reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7XsCMqZXw0

The procedure for the X1 is similar, but for example, in our case, we need to bleed the rear axle brakes (left and right) instead of the left side (front & rear) as described in the video. It may work if you do it like the video (left, front & rear) since the DSC lines are cross-wired (i.e., front-left -> rear-right; front-right -> rear-left), but, you know, it's better if you follow ISTA procedure.