BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Anyone in the UK remapped or tuning boxed a 2.0i petrol X1?

06-10-2021, 03:38 PM   #1
Rjlees
Registered
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2.0i MSport

Anyone in the UK remapped or tuning boxed a 2.0i petrol X1?

Hi everyone, just wondered if anyone in the UK has remapped or fitted a tuning box to their 2.0i petrol X1?
I've had my X1 2.0i MSport from new in sept 2019 and fancy a bit more grunt. In the UK the 2.0i petrol just produces 192bhp, but I see that elsewhere BMW market a 2.8i MSport version which appears to be exactly the same engine unit but putting out 228bhp - it's this that's encouraging me to look to a remap or tuning box to around 228bhp, as if the manufacturer is happy to take the engine to that level it's doubtful (fingers crossed) that it will end in tears!
Any feedback, experience or recommendations would be most welcome.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 05:38 PM   #2
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Hi Rjlees, welcome to the forum!

Please, search the forum. You will find a lot of posts about tuning boxes and ECU tuning.

But, let me share my experience. I also have the 2.0i engine with 192bhp, and I installed the BurgerTuning JB+ (https://burgertuning.com/collections...=9205172699251). It's an easy to install tuning box that gives you 4.5psi additional boost (around 30-35hp). I have almost 2 years with it and no problems so far. I also have a K&N air intake that produces a really nice "wsshhh" sound.

There are other options like the one from Dinan, but they are all pretty similar.

Be advised to remove them before taking your car to the dealer for servicing. Most of them will avoid your warranty if they find this kind of tuning boxes.

On the other side, an ECU tuning will give you more power (60-80 hp) and IMO in a more reliable way. Of course, they are more expensive, but you can also reverse it if you don't like the extra power (which I don't think so) or want to sell your X1. Better if the tuner saves a copy of your current map.

Bottom line, lots of us are using one or the other with no problems. I believe troubles come when you take it a step further, with a CatPipe e.g.. But for stage 1 (ECU tune, air intake, chargepipe, etc.) everything should be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjlees View Post
Hi everyone, just wondered if anyone in the UK has remapped or fitted a tuning box to their 2.0i petrol X1?
I've had my X1 2.0i MSport from new in sept 2019 and fancy a bit more grunt. In the UK the 2.0i petrol just produces 192bhp, but I see that elsewhere BMW market a 2.8i MSport version which appears to be exactly the same engine unit but putting out 228bhp - it's this that's encouraging me to look to a remap or tuning box to around 228bhp, as if the manufacturer is happy to take the engine to that level it's doubtful (fingers crossed) that it will end in tears!
Any feedback, experience or recommendations would be most welcome.