BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Map update problem

06-06-2021, 08:51 AM   #1
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xdrive xline 2.0 d

Map update problem

I have the map subscription, have went onto BMW Download Manager and downloaded the West Europe Map. However when I then transfer it to a formatted USB and put it in the car , nothing happens.

I am sure with previous updates I had to extract from a Zip etc before transferring to USB but it doesnt seem to be the case this time? I did have to reformat the USB to NTFS as I couldnt transfer that file size to FAT.

The file has came through as
"Road_Map_EUROPE_WEST_Route_2021-1" with file type of "file", 14.8GB size.

Anyone else experienced this issue, have I missed something out of the process?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 02:51 PM   #2
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Have you checked which version you already have in the car? If not, go into Navigation, Settings, then scroll down to Position & Version followed by Version Information. My X1 shows that I have ‘Road Map EUROPE Way 2021-1 etc, but I had an idea that 2021-2 has been released although I’m not certain because I’ve only updated my ‘subscription’ for Nav Updates via USB from BMW Connected Drive within the past couple of days. Over the past 3 years the updates have been released around four times per year.

You must also have the USB dongle, according to BMW, formatted as FAT32. I also seem to recall that you now need to use a USB dongle bigger than 16GB. UPDATE: Just seen that BMW say you need a 64GB USB dongle.

I was a passenger over the weekend in a very basic Skoda Fabia which had Apple CarPlay and the navigation system, using Apple Maps, appeared to be way ahead of the BMW screen. Unfortunately I don’t think my 2018 car can to be updated for CarPlay.

Last edited by oakey46; 06-07-2021 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 08:45 AM   #3
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

UPDATE: There is now a new mapping version EUROPE Way 2021-2. I have been able to download the latest version of the BMW Download Manager, login to my BMW account and set the download in motion (approx 1 hr download at my snail pace speed!). Hopefully I'll be able to install in the car via USB later today.
UPDATE: Latest mapping EUROPE Way2021-2 successfully installed in car. Had to format USB dongle as EX-FAT beforehand.
Here's a worthwhile observation - Installation in car takes approx 20 mins - it takes no less than this time for full install despite the fact it may show the latest version in Navigation Settings if you interrupt the install early. Appears to update the Version info before the full install has completed.

Last edited by oakey46; 06-07-2021 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 02:50 AM   #4
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep

Just checked and the map I already have installed is the 2021-1 version so that is why it maybe wasnt working. However have checked BMW download manager today and that is still showing as the most up to date map for my car.

Been doing a bit of driving around over the last week (were on holiday in Scotland) and I compared the BMW maps, and the real time traffic info, with Google maps and was astonished to see how poor BMW was in comparison. Simple things like taking me off a main road and then rejoining it at later point which made the journey slower (and my settings are set to quickest route). Google much quicker to react to traffic hold ups as well.

Its quite annoying having the satnav in built, showing on the HUD as well, but now relying on my phone screen google maps for accuracy. I definitely think next car will have to have Apple Play so that i can just mirror the google maps.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 06:06 PM   #5
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyGrant View Post
Just checked and the map I already have installed is the 2021-1 version so that is why it maybe wasnt working. However have checked BMW download manager today and that is still showing as the most up to date map for my car.

Been doing a bit of driving around over the last week (were on holiday in Scotland) and I compared the BMW maps, and the real time traffic info, with Google maps and was astonished to see how poor BMW was in comparison. Simple things like taking me off a main road and then rejoining it at later point which made the journey slower (and my settings are set to quickest route). Google much quicker to react to traffic hold ups as well.

Its quite annoying having the satnav in built, showing on the HUD as well, but now relying on my phone screen google maps for accuracy. I definitely think next car will have to have Apple Play so that i can just mirror the google maps.
I updated the DownloadManager app from BMW (should action automatically when opened) and the current mapping is definitely 2021-2. I use a Mac as opposed to a PC, but can't imagine they would show different versions from one to the other.
And you echo my thoughts about Apple CarPlay and Google Maps or Apple Maps.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 08:08 AM   #6
pajarodoug
pajarodoug
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post

UPDATE: Just seen that BMW say you need a 64GB USB dongle.
You just saved me a bunch of grief!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 02:50 PM   #7
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
I updated the DownloadManager app from BMW (should action automatically when opened) and the current mapping is definitely 2021-2. I use a Mac as opposed to a PC, but can't imagine they would show different versions from one to the other.
And you echo my thoughts about Apple CarPlay and Google Maps or Apple Maps.
oakey - what year is your X1? I am 2016 and it is definitely still showing 2021-1 for me?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 05:59 PM   #8
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyGrant View Post
oakey - what year is your X1? I am 2016 and it is definitely still showing 2021-1 for me?
2018 18i xLine. Is your car out of the included 3 years USB Map update period? Mine was until I booked and paid for the Connected Package Plus offer from BMW at £99 for 1 year from last week. My originally included USB/OTA mapping update expired with the original warranty at the end of 3/21.
Here's the link: https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/shop/ls/dp/..._Plus_Store_gb
Hope that might help
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 04:51 AM   #9
BobbyGrant
Private First Class
Rep

Cheers - yeah I have the £99 subscription that I took out last year when my 3 year free subscription expired.

Wonder if the head units are different or such like thus causing the difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 07:56 AM   #10
Ashfak Syed
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Solved

The Downloaded file size is about 14.9 GB.
This needs to be downloaded into any location on the windows computer.
This downloaded file needs to be opened in in Winrar or any other extractor (all files) and extracted into a exFAT (8MB FAT) formatted pen drive of minimum 20GB capacity as the extracted files are about 19.9GB

I used a EaseUS partition manager to delete the partition on the 32GB flash drive, then created a 21GB partition and formatted it to exFAT.

I used this pendrive to upgrade the maps. How ever The pen drive was recognized in the car with some delay of 2-3 minutes so keep it plugged in.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 09:01 AM   #11
BrianJ
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1 xDrive20i Sport B48

This is the process from the bmw.co.uk site https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/topics/owne...p-updates.html. It might be different for other regions. It works for me, though it disappeared for a couple of weeks recently. The latest for my car is Europe Way 2021-3.
Appreciate 0