BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Anyone using the new My BMW app?

04-29-2021, 11:09 PM   #23
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco II View Post
Probably one of those things where the app will keep working while the backend services remain as they have been. But once they change, the new app will continue to be updated and work, but the old app will fall over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
On one of the other threads I am on, one of the forum members reported that the connected drive app would be continued but was just not going to be really updated. I can not of course verify that point. Regardless, there seems no doubt that the new app is the supported app going forward.
Yes that is my impression too.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 06:11 AM   #24
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
On one of the other threads I am on, one of the forum members reported that the connected drive app would be continued but was just not going to be really updated. I can not of course verify that point. Regardless, there seems no doubt that the new app is the supported app going forward.
Works for me, I have no intention until either the Connected app stops working, or the MyBMW app isn't a downgrade of features I actually use like miles to empty and locked/closed status.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 08:14 AM   #25
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Quote:
Works for me, I have no intention until either the Connected app stops working, or the MyBMW app isn't a downgrade of features I actually use like miles to empty and locked/closed status.
I agree. But I have noticed it seems to depend a lot on the vehicle. I have a 2016 and a 2018 BMW and for the 2018 many of the features are there. The connected drive app has more features, but in comparison for 2018 340 I have, the new app works ok and does have a value for gas and distance to empty on the screen. I don't really like the ALL GOOD in font 100 splashed across the screen. Oh well, hopefully they will improve the new app….
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 12:31 PM   #26
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2021

So in the connected app, under Destinations, I can see my upcoming calendar events and easily send them to my X1 for navigation. Where do I find my calendar items in the My BMW app?

Last edited by Paco II; 05-01-2021 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 09:01 AM   #27
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep

Somewhat answering my own question, it appears BMW gutted this feature in the new app. No Activity section or anyway to see upcoming calendar events to easily send to the car for navigation. So strange, especially since the app asks for permission to access the phones calendar.

Quote:
So in the connected app, under Destinations, I can see my upcoming calendar events and easily send them to my X1 for navigation. Where do I find my calendar items in the My BMW app?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 09:45 AM   #28
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Somewhat answering my own question, it appears BMW gutted this feature in the new app. No Activity section or anyway to see upcoming calendar events to easily send to the car for navigation. So strange, especially since the app asks for permission to access the phones calendar.

Quote:
You can still send destinations to your bmw. It doesn't look as apparent as the one in the connected app. You go to map, find your destination and once found, the app asks if you want to send it to your bmw.

I agree I liked the calendar app in the connected drive, although it wasn't always a necessity. What I ended up Liking was that I had a destination time for my events automatically. But this was minor compared to destinations being sent to the car. That feature still works. It seems identical to my new family hauling Chrysler van, where you find the location and then hit the send button and with a minute or so it pops up on the screen and you hit go. I found this out on the new bmw app recently but have not tried the effectiveness in practice. Will probably test this week.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 01:36 PM   #29
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

For my late December 2017 car my new app shows almost the same as the old app. But in the locked page, I can only tell the caris locked or unlocked. It also does not show journey history with fuel consumed and journey mpg. Not really an improvement in my book. And it no longer works since I used the new one.

But then again there’s no replacement X1 to my spec, so no improvement there by BMW!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 08:59 AM   #30
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah for me it’s a real ‘downgrade’. I love when I get into my car and the nav automatically suggests a destination based on my calendar. Still getting it via the Connected app but disappointed it has been left out of the My BMW app. I know I can check my calendar in CarPlay, which will be my alternative when Connected stops working someday. But I really do love the automatic suggestion.

Quote:
You can still send destinations to your bmw. It doesn't look as apparent as the one in the connected app. You go to map, find your destination and once found, the app asks if you want to send it to your bmw.

I agree I liked the calendar app in the connected drive, although it wasn't always a necessity. What I ended up Liking was that I had a destination time for my events automatically. But this was minor compared to destinations being sent to the car. That feature still works. It seems identical to my new family hauling Chrysler van, where you find the location and then hit the send button and with a minute or so it pops up on the screen and you hit go. I found this out on the new bmw app recently but have not tried the effectiveness in practice. Will probably test this week.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 10:33 AM   #31
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah for me it’s a real ‘downgrade’. I love when I get into my car and the nav automatically suggests a destination based on my calendar. Still getting it via the Connected app but disappointed it has been left out of the My BMW app. I know I can check my calendar in CarPlay, which will be my alternative when Connected stops working someday. But I really do love the automatic suggestion.

Quote:

I'm hoping that this app is a work in progress and that additional features will be added to as time goes on. Perhaps waiting to see what people complain about the most.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 11:51 AM   #32
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
I'm hoping that this app is a work in progress and that additional features will be added to as time goes on. Perhaps waiting to see what people complain about the most.
I learned long ago to never buy a product or an app for what it MAY do in the future, but to make the decision on what it does now.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 12:38 PM   #33
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

The My BMW app will "fully replace" the older Connected app starting from July 2021 (https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...21?language=en).

Interesting to see the varying levels of functionality among people between the 2 apps. The My BMW app allows me to see whether any door or window is open and locate a nearby gas station/parking/dealer, which isn't possible in the Connected app. However, I can honk the horn in the Connected app, a feature not available in My BMW. As development continues on the My BMW app, I suspect any missing features will be added over time.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 05:56 PM   #34
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline2.0 View Post
The My BMW app will "fully replace" the older Connected app starting from July 2021 (https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...21?language=en).

Interesting to see the varying levels of functionality among people between the 2 apps. The My BMW app allows me to see whether any door or window is open and locate a nearby gas station/parking/dealer, which isn't possible in the Connected app. However, I can honk the horn in the Connected app, a feature not available in My BMW. As development continues on the My BMW app, I suspect any missing features will be added over time.
It depends on the car as both apps allow me to check my windows and doors. But weirdly only the connected app checks my sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 09:53 PM   #35
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep

Both apps show oil status, but only connected shows tire pressure is ok. Not sure if the My BMW app will indicate if pressure isn’t good, or feature is not here at all.

Quote:
It depends on the car as both apps allow me to check my windows and doors. But weirdly only the connected app checks my sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 10:24 AM   #36
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Both apps show oil status, but only connected shows tire pressure is ok. Not sure if the My BMW app will indicate if pressure isn’t good, or feature is not here at all.

Quote:
I have noticed that as well. Both apps are identical in features for my 2016 X1. The interface seems nicer on the new app. For my 2018 340, the new app has less features, but tells me in font 2000 ALL GOOD…. As pointed out, is the new UI a framework for the future or just a change? With the old app ending or at least support for it ending, the new app for better or for worse will be what we are stuck using…..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 11:38 AM   #37
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep

I think this has been mentioned a couple of times, but I wanted to confirm that, at least with my MY21, the app will simply indicate that windows are closed when everything is closed, but if the sunroof is open it will in fact say that the sunroof is open.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 12:52 PM   #38
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Quote:
I think this has been mentioned a couple of times, but I wanted to confirm that, at least with my MY21, the app will simply indicate that windows are closed when everything is closed, but if the sunroof is open it will in fact say that the sunroof is open.
I get sunroof open status too, along with hood and trunk door open warnings in the My BMW app, but not Connected.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 01:50 PM   #39
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Funny…on my 2018, I opened all the windows including my sunroof and connected drive accurately told me what was open, while the new app only told me the windows were open, not the sunroof. I will have to check just the sunroof tonight to see if that works, or if I then get an alert that the sunroof is open, or if it just a windows is open.

For the rest it seems similar. For example the car is right now car in the shops and it has alerted me the front left and right windows and hood is open - both apps are the same. Maybe I just need to play more.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 02:03 PM   #40
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep

In my test, I only checked with opening the sunroof. It could be that when everything is open or closed it’ll only reference ‘windows’.

Big thing missing for me is calendar integration.

Quote:
Funny…on my 2018, I opened all the windows including my sunroof and connected drive accurately told me what was open, while the new app only told me the windows were open, not the sunroof. I will have to check just the sunroof tonight to see if that works, or if I then get an alert that the sunroof is open, or if it just a windows is open.

For the rest it seems similar. For example the car is right now car in the shops and it has alerted me the front left and right windows and hood is open - both apps are the same. Maybe I just need to play more.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 03:07 PM   #41
M2sporty
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1 M Sport

Will the app work for a 2017 X1?

Hello bimmerbros - will the bmw app work with a 2017 bmw x1?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 09:30 PM   #42
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2sporty View Post
Just install and try it. I received an email 8 days ago from BMW Canada to announce the new app.

I have both new and old apps installed to compare (for now).
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 09:58 PM   #43
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2sporty View Post
Yes it will work. The net functionality is vehicle and year dependent. For 2016 X1, other than lock, unlock and find vehicle, I don't usually use it since I have to hard wire it to see gas and mileage. For my 2018 it works well and does so over the air. Complaints with the newer app are discussed above.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 12:27 AM   #44
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep

So in response to an app review in the iOS App Store, the developers claim more features are coming. That gives me hope that the app will indeed improve over time.
Appreciate 0