BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Where to move to in the US?

02-03-2020, 01:54 PM   #133
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
You people have to drive HOURS to get to a beach???? How do you live that way?
I am from NJ & the shore was an hour away most of my life. Now I'm 2+ hours from NJ shore. DE shore might be closer, but I don't think so. Last time I went to the shore was in the fall...for the annual car show. I can't sit on the beach all day. I get bored. I'll stay for an hour, enjoy the sun & take a little swim. Then I wanna leave.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 04:40 PM   #134
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
I'm not a $500k baller, though.
I was just saying as an example. I paid 232k for a brand new house that has 2154sq ft.
Appreciate 3
      02-03-2020, 06:17 PM   #135
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

I just learned today that it's easier to own a tiger than a pitbull as a pet in Texas.
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1135.00
      02-03-2020, 06:19 PM   #136
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Better yet, I don't have to drive that far yet I rarely ever go to the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanovic View Post
500k could get you a mansion here. Not sure what area you looked at..
realtor.com typed in Chatanooga, sorted by most expensive to least expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanovic View Post
I was just saying as an example. I paid 232k for a brand new house that has 2154sq ft.
At a certain point, 2100 sq ft is really all you need. a nice floor plan and you're golden. Unless you have a bunch of children.

Sometimes, I see a nice 3bd/2ba 1600 sq ft house and get jealous. Only problem is that the areas that I would live in with smaller houses are ones that I cannot afford a 1200-1600 sq foot house, haha

Florida seems like a great place to live. I remember seeing people really enjoying living on the east coast of Florida. OP - have you done any research to some coastal towns on the east of Florida?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #137
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Better yet, I don't have to drive that far yet I rarely ever go to the beach.

realtor.com typed in Chatanooga, sorted by most expensive to least expensive.

At a certain point, 2100 sq ft is really all you need. a nice floor plan and you're golden. Unless you have a bunch of children.

Sometimes, I see a nice 3bd/2ba 1600 sq ft house and get jealous. Only problem is that the areas that I would live in with smaller houses are ones that I cannot afford a 1200-1600 sq foot house, haha

Florida seems like a great place to live. I remember seeing people really enjoying living on the east coast of Florida. OP - have you done any research to some coastal towns on the east of Florida?
My first house was 1250sq ft but it wa suits the wife and I and it was perfect for us. The baby came and we decided to sell and buy bigger. The new house has a perfect floor plan imo, 3 bedroom 3 full bath and a bonus room over the garage that is basically my daughter play room lol. Everything we need, I will say since the city is expanding like crazy houses are getting more expensive, but for 200-300k you can buy what you need to be wayyyyy more then comfortable and be in a great area.
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1135.00
      02-04-2020, 01:22 PM   #138
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Anyone here move to another state without a job? Dumb question, I know.
I'm sure the answer is no since no one is going to rent to me without an income, but stranger things have happened!

House I rent is being sold. I have a few months to find a new place, but really tired of winters & my job is terrible. So really don't wanna be stuck here for at least another year if I can figure out how make this happen without depleting my savings.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 03:49 PM   #139
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Anyone here move to another state without a job? Dumb question, I know.
I'm sure the answer is no since no one is going to rent to me without an income, but stranger things have happened!

House I rent is being sold. I have a few months to find a new place, but really tired of winters & my job is terrible. So really don't wanna be stuck here for at least another year if I can figure out how make this happen without depleting my savings.

I'm sure you could find someone looking for a roommate or renting out a room wherever you decide to go. That option may help accommodate you on the short term while you are on the job hunt.
      02-04-2020, 05:03 PM   #140
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
I'm sure you could find someone looking for a roommate or renting out a room wherever you decide to go. That option may help accommodate you on the short term while you are on the job hunt.
I can't do the roommate thing (Unless it's my gf or a GOOD friend). I'm just not wired for this living with a stranger thing.

I am sure those arrangements don't have a garage anyway lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #141
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

The place I live at now didn't require a security deposit, nor did they ask for pay stubs. They just did a credit check. So technically they wouldn't know whether or not I had a job when I signed.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #142
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Yeah, just rent off of Craigslist or do a long term VRBO, you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 09:17 AM   #143
Conissah
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Or AirBnb / other rental sites and apps. I would think that the renter would prefer 1 person for 2 months rather than 8 different people over 2 months.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2020, 09:25 AM   #144
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Quote:
Or AirBnb / other rental sites and apps. I would think that the renter would prefer 1 person for 2 months rather than 8 different people over 2 months.
Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to just use one company. When I moved to Laguna Beach, I rented a place for three months, was a great spot and helped me figure out where I really wanted to live. Just put my stuff in storage until I got it all sorted out.
Appreciate 1
Conissah1574.50
      02-05-2020, 09:28 AM   #145
Conissah
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to just use one company. When I moved to Laguna Beach, I rented a place for three months, was a great spot and helped me figure out where I really wanted to live. Just put my stuff in storage until I got it all sorted out.
No need to apolgize, I wasn't even thinking of VRBO, and wanted to make sure OP knew about AirBnB.

A lot of apartments here in Charlotte do short term leases, 3-6 months, at a higher rate. Could also be an option, but I think VRBO/AirBnB/Craigslist rental would be much better financially for short term, specifically to see where you do and do not want to live.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      02-05-2020, 09:45 AM   #146
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

OP, not going back through all the posts, but you did say NO to outside sales right?

I know our company has been hiring people like CRAZY the last few years all over the country.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2020, 10:48 AM   #147
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
OP, not going back through all the posts, but you did say NO to outside sales right?

I know our company has been hiring people like CRAZY the last few years all over the country.
Correct, no outside.

I'm down for inside sales, account management, business development, operations, marketing & other roles where my sales & lead gen skills translate.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 10:51 AM   #148
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Depends on where you go. I lived in Alpharetta for a number of years. Really nice up there. The city is just like any other large city in the US. Traffic sucks, melting pot of people from all over the place.
I hear the greater Atlanta area is growing a lot in population, but I've also heard it suffers from the same "blandness" that Dallas and Houston have. In the sense that the downtown is pretty mediocre, life is pretty suburban and sprawling, and overall there's not a lot of "culture."

Of course this is a generalization and depends on individual tastes. As far as warm weather metros go, it's one of only a handful without the insane living costs of California.
"Culture" is overrated. ATL is a Jack of all trades but master of none.

Temperate climate.
Low Taxes.
Huge easy to navigate airport.
Growing

Mercedes Benz,
Porsche,
NCR,
Cox,
Home Depot,
Intercontential Exchange,
There's a lot of tech as well.

Cons....
Traffic (can't have growth without it)
Water.

Edit: Basically it has a lot of above average attributes but there are plenty of areas which surpass Atlanta in some or a few but not all of them.

It's why I've never left.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2020, 12:16 PM   #149
tigermack
OPN DIFF
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 10' E90 M3 6MT LB

Garage List
2010 M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW e36 325i  [7.91]
2006 BMW e90 330i  [8.34]
I have leads for inside sales in CA but since you said no CA, can't help ya.

Good reads, living in CA for the past 15+ years, the population is insane. I went to SoCal last weekend and there's people literally everywhere. Please don't come to CA, we need people to move the F out. lol

Autocross vids https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack
https://www.instagram.com/tigermack
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2020, 12:38 PM   #150
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Although I know you said no snow, I just moved to Boise, ID last month and I LOVE IT... Low cost of living, I happen to like cold weather, I don't like humidity at all, and no stupid laws, including the straw that broke the camel's back: My new gig pays a huge crapload and I'm making the most money I've made in 10 years, but I'm a 1099 contractor and CA Assembly Bill 5 screwed that one up for me.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 1
tigermack466.00
      02-10-2020, 10:26 AM   #151
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
Although I know you said no snow, I just moved to Boise, ID last month and I LOVE IT... Low cost of living, I happen to like cold weather, I don't like humidity at all, and no stupid laws, including the straw that broke the camel's back: My new gig pays a huge crapload and I'm making the most money I've made in 10 years, but I'm a 1099 contractor and CA Assembly Bill 5 screwed that one up for me.
Question: Are you really making the most money, or just the highest hourly rate?

No longer having corporate sponsored healthcare, 401k match, ESPP, paid vacation and sick leave, etc, to truly take home more money I'd probably need a contractor rate approaching $90/hr. And I'm not even sure that would do it. We'd have to see what it would cost to get my girlfriend health insurance on the open market.............RA medicine is EXPENSIVE.

Also, we have some friends that live in Boise and love it. We need to go visit.

Last edited by OkieSnuffBox; 02-10-2020 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 10:38 AM   #152
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
Question: Are you really making the most money, or just the highest hourly rate?

No longer having corporate sponsored healthcare, 401k match, ESPP, paid vacation and sick leave, etc, to truly take home more money I'd probably need a contractor rate approaching $90/hr.

Also, we have some friends that live in Boise and love it. We need to go visit.
$300 a day for 80% of the time, about 3-4 hours of work (for the 20% chance it does exceed 8 then it's $600). I only plan to do this for about 6 months before I get back the the W-2 realm; I can't do this line of work forever.

I only intend for this to be a fast track to catching up to where a 34 year-old guy like myself should be in life... Having a house, settling down and having a bit of savings, instead of renting a spare bedroom and not even having a rainy day fund).

Also, before this I was mostly a temp, so I either never got those benefits or were able to afford them anyway.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #153
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
I'm like 3 miles from the beach and in the 10 years I've lived here I have not been on the beach even once.
Appreciate 4
Conissah1574.50
vreihen1614886.50
P111541.50
tigermack466.00
      02-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #154
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Quote:
I'm like 3 miles from the beach and in the 10 years I've lived here I have not been on the beach even once.
B
A
N