BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Auto hold

05-21-2019, 04:32 AM   #45
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworgri View Post
I can see the Auto H logo on my dash, so I guess mine has it too.
Where did you see it? Can you post a pic?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 07:24 AM   #46
SDriver18i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 s18i 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorix View Post
Its right below the Parking brake.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Jorix72.50
MJE60678.00
      05-21-2019, 07:14 PM   #47
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I see you too have scratches on your cluster. Any solution to fix?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 12:13 AM   #48
SDriver18i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 s18i 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi555 View Post
I see you too have scratches on your cluster. Any solution to fix?
No idea. My little nieces messed around the dash with their toys and that's the result. Its not visible without the flash, so it doesn't really bother me, for now.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #49
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 xDrive 20d

Quote:
Could you make a video showing how to remove the panel and activate it? That would be really helpful.

I can see the Auto H logo on my dash, so I guess mine has it too.
I subscribe to this request.
I also saw the AutoH on the instrument panel.
It will help us a lot, maybe someone else will find a solution for a button.
Appreciate 3
iceman7117.00
MJE60678.00
      05-23-2019, 03:58 AM   #50
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanJ View Post
I subscribe to this request.
I also saw the AutoH on the instrument panel.
It will help us a lot, maybe someone else will find a solution for a button.
Before any solution for the button we need to see how it actually works ...
If it works OK there is no need for a button actually, just a one time activation..

The best solution would be if this could be activated via coding of some sort (or a combination of key presses ... has anyone tried for example to keep the hand brake button pressed for a while or any other combination?) ...the way the button probably works may resemble the start/stop button
Appreciate 2
MJE60678.00
      05-23-2019, 06:04 AM   #51
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggie View Post
Nice! But I don't think any other standard BMW part will have an exact fit. Will have to fabricate something ourselves.

Maybe something like this may work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/R-L-Buttons...item48b91f0ca2

Of course will still need to find a nice looking hard button to press on the pad.
I opened my switch and the rubber actuator buttons (with conductive material on underside) were present. In effect all I need to do is incorporate some form of spring plunger. I have bought several used/cheap BMW switches with auto hold buttons incorporated and see what the correct mechanism is likely to be . I will manufacture and will post pics and instructions (please allow a few weeks as I am currently awaiting surgery).
Appreciate 3
iceman7117.00
nathanm4681.00
      05-23-2019, 06:15 AM   #52
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Before any solution for the button we need to see how it actually works ...
If it works OK there is no need for a button actually, just a one time activation..

The best solution would be if this could be activated via coding of some sort (or a combination of key presses ... has anyone tried for example to keep the hand brake button pressed for a while or any other combination?) ...he way the button probably works may resemble the start/stop button
You may be correct Iceman7, I will have a look at coding lines and see if auto-hold options are listed. I suspect however, that like “high beam assist”, the function has been designed to work around a physical switch.

Tinymilad says he says been using feature for months without any issues/problems and once switched on he says it stays on. This final point appears to contradict what the manual says, namely auto-hold has to be engaged with button but will be disengaged when you apply the parking brake.
http://www.bavarianmw.com/guide-3174.html

I have bought several bmw switches with auto hold buttons and will try and work out what correct layout/mechanism would be for the F48 switch. Interestingly, I opened my parking brake switch and it had the rubber actuator buttons inside, I will post some pics.
Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00
      05-23-2019, 07:28 AM   #53
xlr8it
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 20d, SLK55AMG

opened my switch today and tried to activate auto hold , but it doesn't work on my x1, maybe something needs to be coded for it to work
Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00
      05-23-2019, 07:47 AM   #54
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
I opened my switch and the rubber actuator buttons (with conductive material on underside) were present. In effect all I need to do is incorporate some form of spring plunger. I have bought several used/cheap BMW switches with auto hold buttons incorporated and see what the correct mechanism is likely to be . I will manufacture and will post pics and instructions (please allow a few weeks as I am currently awaiting surgery).
Have you tried switching it on to see if it actually works?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #55
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Have you tried switching it on to see if it actually works?
No, I have not tried switching it on yet, may depend on HU or as you suggested, may need coding.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #56
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here is the AutoH logo on my dash, too:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 02:03 PM   #57
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, my older expanded content cluster does not have AUTO H, it could be that the feature notification is given in the small LCD display instead.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 02:15 PM   #58
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8it View Post
opened my switch today and tried to activate auto hold , but it doesn't work on my x1, maybe something needs to be coded for it to work
Hi
When you say it doesn’t work, would you please explain. Did the led on the circuit board come on or not? My expanded content does to have the AUTO H icon showing, unlike some other clusters so I would not expect it to show on the dash, unless in the smaller lcd screen. Did you take a test drive to check?
Sorry to ask so many questions but I am trying to work out whether activating this will only be possible on certain models, markets or perhaps even newer cars. Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 02:23 PM   #59
AndiamoSF
Rep
Drives: None

It is cheaper to reuse the same components on multiple product lines than to build out new ones with minor differences. That the auto h icon exists on the dash doesn't necessarily mean it's wired up or functional as a display. Same goes for the circuit board where the parking brake is... they probably use that same board for all their cars and just change out the housing. Doesn't mean it won't work, just means that the presence of those components doesn't necessarily mean it will work.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      05-23-2019, 02:37 PM   #60
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiamoSF View Post
It is cheaper to reuse the same components on multiple product lines than to build out new ones with minor differences. That the auto h icon exists on the dash doesn't necessarily mean it's wired up or functional as a display. Same goes for the circuit board where the parking brake is... they probably use that same board for all their cars and just change out the housing. Doesn't mean it won't work, just means that the presence of those components doesn't necessarily mean it will work.
True (all valid points), except someone with an F48 has opened the switch and got the function to work. I am just trying to determine why and whether this can be replicated in all F48 and if not, why. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 03:03 PM   #61
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
True (all valid points), except someone with an F48 has opened the switch and got the function to work. I am just trying to determine why and whether this can be replicated in all F48 and if not, why. Any thoughts?
Good point.

I can make a test, too, if I have some instructions to remove the covering elements for reaching the button.
I don't want to break or damage something.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      05-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #62
AndiamoSF
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Quote:
I have no idea why it would or wouldn't work. Could be a different wiring harness, hard coded in the software, soft coded (so you could code it with bimmercode), or it could just work. I'm just pointing out that having the board and/or the light on the instrument panel doesn't mean a whole lot, other than bmw is saving money by not printing out different versions of those components. There is so much more that goes into a feature like that than the cutout on the dash and the circuit board, just trying to explain (poorly lol) why it may look like it should work but doesn't. I hope it does for those who want it though!
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      05-24-2019, 01:34 AM   #63
tinymilad
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 i3 Rex

Dash light coding
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 03:20 AM   #64
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
I have no idea why it would or wouldn't work. Could be a different wiring harness, hard coded in the software, soft coded (so you could code it with bimmercode), or it could just work. I'm just pointing out that having the board and/or the light on the instrument panel doesn't mean a whole lot, other than bmw is saving money by not printing out different versions of those components. There is so much more that goes into a feature like that than the cutout on the dash and the circuit board, just trying to explain (poorly lol) why it may look like it should work but doesn't. I hope it does for those who want it though!
Thanks for your thoughts.
The facts are;
-that all current F48 with auto boxes and electronic parking brake switch have the feature where you can apply the parking brake when you come to a halt and it will automatically disengage again when you put your foot on the gas/accelerator pedal. This feature ensures you do not have to leave your foot on the brake pedal at traffic lights thus dazzling cars immediately behind you, it can also be less tiring for the driver.
-the auto hold function goes one step further, when engaged it will reapply the parking brake whenever the car comes to a halt thus removing the need to manually apply the parking brake each time, this can be a useful feature if driving in heavy traffic with frequent stop/start conditions. The sensors, main electronics, HU are all the same.
-BMW does however make bespoke wiring harnesses for each car and this will often (although not always) mean that if a feature/function has not been ordered then the wiring will not be present [as an example, the wiring for footwell lights is not present unless you order the extended lighting but the wiring for the dash led strip is there and anyone can therefore install the strip if they buy the part].
- a member of the forum (Tinymilad) has determined that the F48 parking brake switch unit actually has the auto hold electronic switch present but that a blanking cover is in place rather than a button. Tinymilad has been able to modify his switch and has been using the auto hold feature in his car without problems for some time.
- I bought a second hand F48 switch (and have order two other BMW auto hold switches) and found rubber contact buttons in place (missing in tinymilad’s Switch), this makes modification even easier.
- some forum member have identified that their f48 instrument clusters actually have the AUTO H icon present however this is not the case for all instrument clusters and it has yet to be determined if this is a significant point.
-another forum member has tried to copy Tinymilad and activate auto hold [by opening the switch and engaging the switch contacts] they were unsuccessful but we do not yet know why.

It is assumed that many members reading this thread may be interested in either having the feature or understanding if it can be enabled on their car. I have been researching if coding may be an issue (tinymilad did not say coding was needed). I have only been able to find one reference to autohold coding (owner claimed it activated auto hold in their car), namely,

DSC->3000 Allgemein, 20->Funktion_AutomaticDriveawayRelease_aktiv->aktiv (nicht_aktiv is the default)
EMF->3000 Kodierdaten, 14->ADR_AKTIV->ADR_ein (ADR_Aus is the default)

but have not had time to check/test, So far I have not found the code.

As mentioned, I do not currently have much time, am still awaiting other two switches to arrive and have not tested if feature works in my car BUT I will try and do my best to work with other forum members to solve this mystery.
Thanks

Last edited by MJE60; 05-24-2019 at 03:37 AM..
Appreciate 3
StefanJ68.00
iceman7117.00
Pph5537.00
      05-24-2019, 03:32 AM   #65
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanJ View Post
Good point.

I can make a test, too, if I have some instructions to remove the covering elements for reaching the button.
I don't want to break or damage something.
You should be able to find instructions to safely remove trim in ISTA (BMW workshop manual). When I have time I will find pages and post links.
In the meantime here is ISTA
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...xdrive20d-sav/
Appreciate 2
StefanJ68.00
iceman7117.00
      05-24-2019, 09:13 AM   #66
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48

What year is your X1? It appears you're in the US so it's going to be an X28 model? I didn't get what all of the desire for auto-hold was until I drove an X5 for a 600mi road trip and found the love when sitting in traffic due to a major accident.
Appreciate 0