BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Official Road Cycling Thread

10-01-2017, 06:00 PM   #683
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERMAN M3 View Post
Great to hear M_Six!! Cycling can definitely become addicting.
Indeed. I just bought a clothes rack for the office so I can store my office clothes there and start daily commutes on my bike. Then I can take long rides on my way home. The weather is cooler now, so riding in shouldn't leave me a soggy mess and the afternoon ride home should be a great way to unwind.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      10-02-2017, 02:38 PM   #684
whitextc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Hi everyone! Had no idea there was cycling forum.
I've been riding since 2011 and started with mountain biking. Mainly to combat anxiety disorder and mild depression. I also lost 45 lbs of fat in the process...in about 6 months time period. After 2 years of mountain biking I was introduced to road cycling and I fell in love with that too. I try to put in 100 miles per week at least but its been hard with 1 toddler and an infant. I enjoy local crit racing and weekend grand fondo. Here are pics of my bikes.

Appreciate 3
Mr Tonka6058.00
dean8766.00
M_Six16550.00
      10-02-2017, 02:59 PM   #685
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitextc View Post
I've been riding since 2011 and started with mountain biking. Mainly to combat anxiety disorder and mild depression. I also lost 45 lbs of fat in the process...in about 6 months time period. After 2 years of mountain biking I was introduced to road cycling and I fell in love with that too. I try to put in 100 miles per week at least but its been hard with 1 toddler and an infant. I enjoy local crit racing and weekend grand fondo. Here are pics of my bikes.

What is that on the seat post of your road bike ? a lock or shock absorber ?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 03:23 PM   #686
whitextc
Enlisted Member
Rep

bike stand is holding up the bike by the seatpost. i cropped the picture so you can't tell but its up in the air.
Appreciate 2
Mr Tonka6058.00
M_Six16550.00
      10-02-2017, 03:53 PM   #687
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
bike stand is holding up the bike by the seatpost. i cropped the picture so you can't tell but its up in the air.
yeah I see it now, that's nice having the stand. That is really interesting about the weight loss. Did you self diagnose your anxiety and mild depression? I ask because I always thought to some extant at a certain point in ones aging those attributes are normal reactions. I know I get anxious and use running and the gym to offset and to gain concentration - is that what you are describing? don't answer if your think I'm being inconsiderate by asking.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 04:35 PM   #688
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:

Sweet rides!! Thanks for sharing.
      10-02-2017, 04:51 PM   #689
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Sweet rides!! Thanks for sharing.
Is that your Cipollini ?
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 04:54 PM   #690
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Is that your Cipollini ?
Pinarello.

Mine didn't come with any extra eye candy though.
      10-02-2017, 05:03 PM   #691
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Pinarello.

Mine didn't come with any extra eye candy though.
Eye candy from the Belgian cyclocross ...
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #692
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Looks like we have the same bike maintenance stand. That's a cool way of holding up the bike. Hadn't thought of that. I've been using the main crossbar, but the seatpost looks like it might make it easier to level the bike.

Nice ride, btw.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 07:03 PM   #693
dean87
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

Nice rides!
I've got the same Infinito also
Welcome onboard
      10-03-2017, 10:21 PM   #694
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I've recently started following two colleagues on Strava. One is a distance guy. He knocks out 50 milers like they're just warmups.

The other is a commuter who rides 13 miles to work and back every day regardless of weather. He also takes his Domane 3.2 on some seriously nasty mountain bike trails around the local lake. He's hard-core as they come. His Domane SLR is loaded. Electronic shifting and the works. He's also a scientist and data collection nerd. You walk into his office and he's pouring over charts of his rides to determine where he can improve his time on Strava segments. Yesterday he rode up beside me as I was heading out for some hill work. We chatted for a bit and then he said, "See ya" and left me in his dust. Now I know how Wile E. Coyote feels.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
dean8766.00
Mr Tonka6058.00
      10-03-2017, 11:07 PM   #695
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

Glad to have seen this thread. Like most of you, I started with a BMX bike and transitioned over to a mountain bike. Life got in a way and the MTB collected dust for about 10 years. When my daughter was 8 she asked me if she could start riding her bike to school. I said sure, but she had to wait until she turns 9. I promised I would teach her the rules of the road. Didn't really think she would remember. Boy I was wrong!

In April of this year she reminded me of my promise so off we go to a local bike shop. We got her a specialized mtb. Started taking her and the wife at a local bike trail 1 day (Saturday) a week; once became twice per week. Started talking more and more about bikes with friends and co workers. A couple of em invited me to a local Bike the Bridges event. Started putting miles on my mtb to prep for the event. Then I bought a endurance bike (cervelo C3) in June and rode the event, had a blast, and the rest is history.

To date, I'm averaging 75-100 miles per week. My wife now rides a road bike too (Bianchi via Nirone) and she's rides with me 2-3 times per week unless. I've lost approx 9 lbs so far and hoping to loose some more. I have gone up to 35 miles and hoping to ride a metric century by June 2018.

"I've caught a bug" as my coworkers tell me. All I talk about are bikes, bike routes, bike maintenance, and our next planned bike event. My wife even got several of her coworkers to pick up their old bikes and ride the local trails 1-2 days a week.

As for my daughter, she has yet to ride her new bike to school. Lol!
Appreciate 1
M_Six16550.00
      10-03-2017, 11:15 PM   #696
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuera09 View Post
Glad to have seen this thread. Like most of you, I started with a BMX bike and transitioned over to a mountain bike. Life got in a way and the MTB collected dust for about 10 years. When my daughter was 8 she asked me if she could start riding her bike to school. I said sure, but she had to wait until she turns 9. I promised I would teach her the rules of the road. Didn't really think she would remember. Boy I was wrong!

In April of this year she reminded me of my promise so off we go to a local bike shop. We got her a specialized mtb. Started taking her and the wife at a local bike trail 1 day (Saturday) a week; once became twice per week. Started talking more and more about bikes with friends and co workers. A couple of em invited me to a local Bike the Bridges event. Started putting miles on my mtb to prep for the event. Then I bought a endurance bike (cervelo C3) in June and rode the event, had a blast, and the rest is history.

To date, I'm averaging 75-100 miles per week. My wife now rides a road bike too (Bianchi via Nirone) and she's rides with me 2-3 times per week unless. I've lost approx 9 lbs so far and hoping to loose some more. I have gone up to 35 miles and hoping to ride a metric century by June 2018.

"I've caught a bug" as my coworkers tell me. All I talk about are bikes, bike routes, bike maintenance, and our next planned bike event. My wife even got several of her coworkers to pick up their old bikes and ride the local trails 1-2 days a week.

It is a bug. And once you catch it, there's no looking back. I'll be looking at a stationary stand for my bike for the winter and then I'll invest in a pure road bike (Trek Domane SLR, most likely) for next year. I'll keep my Crossrip 1 for the Rails-to-Trails runs since it has gravel tires on it. Or maybe it will become my permanent indoor machine.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Neuera09278.50
      10-03-2017, 11:31 PM   #697
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

Domane slr is a great bike. I rode that and an Emonda slr. I like the feel of the Emonda more. To each their own right? I bought a cyclocross fluid 2 trainer on craigslight and I'll be using my Raleigh m80 as a trainer. I'm getting mix opinions about having a full carbon bike on a stationary trainer. Some says it's okay while others say get a cheap aluminum bike.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 12:00 AM   #698
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuera09 View Post

Good stuff man! Bike is life!
Neuera09278.50
      10-04-2017, 12:01 AM   #699
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
It is a bug. And once you catch it, there's no looking back. I'll be looking at a stationary stand for my bike for the winter and then I'll invest in a pure road bike (Trek Domane SLR, most likely) for next year. I'll keep my Crossrip 1 for the Rails-to-Trails runs since it has gravel tires on it. Or maybe it will become my permanent indoor machine.
I'm mrtonka on strava.
      10-04-2017, 07:28 AM   #700
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

Let’s get some Strava love on here. I’m leo z.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      10-04-2017, 09:58 AM   #701
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm mrtonka on strava.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo95se View Post
Let’s get some Strava love on here. I’m leo z.
Following both.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      10-04-2017, 12:31 PM   #702
whitextc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
yeah I see it now, that's nice having the stand. That is really interesting about the weight loss. Did you self diagnose your anxiety and mild depression? I ask because I always thought to some extant at a certain point in ones aging those attributes are normal reactions. I know I get anxious and use running and the gym to offset and to gain concentration - is that what you are describing? don't answer if your think I'm being inconsiderate by asking.
I purchased the stand from amazon. makes cleaning and maintenance super easy. I was diagnosed with severe anxiety after I recovered from broken collarbone and surgery to fix that. I took pain meds for about 4 months everyday as directed during the process...when my collarbone healed I stopped taking pain meds but it really almost killed me several hours after I stopped. My body had gotten used to the pain mends and sudden cut off really kicked my rear end. Had to wean off but by the time I weaned off I was experiencing severe anxiety which lead to mild depression after about a year. I did therapy and doctor wanted me on meds to treat anxiety and depression. A friend swayed me against going on meds from his own experience so I took that advice and instead worked on raising my heartbeat with exercise. That's where biking came in and saved me. After about 5 or 6 years my anxiety is gone. Cardio does wonders for our mind and body.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      10-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #703
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

brian R on Strava, from Ashburn VA.
      10-04-2017, 12:48 PM   #704
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I purchased the stand from amazon. makes cleaning and maintenance super easy. I was diagnosed with severe anxiety after I recovered from broken collarbone and surgery to fix that. I took pain meds for about 4 months everyday as directed during the process...when my collarbone healed I stopped taking pain meds but it really almost killed me several hours after I stopped. My body had gotten used to the pain mends and sudden cut off really kicked my rear end. Had to wean off but by the time I weaned off I was experiencing severe anxiety which lead to mild depression after about a year. I did therapy and doctor wanted me on meds to treat anxiety and depression. A friend swayed me against going on meds from his own experience so I took that advice and instead worked on raising my heartbeat with exercise. That's where biking came in and saved me. After about 5 or 6 years my anxiety is gone. Cardio does wonders for our mind and body.
That's one of the best items on health I've read in a long time.
Appreciate 0