BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Strange Rattle/Squeak Driver Side 2016 X1 25D

09-26-2023, 03:57 AM   #1
RuggedToyBoy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 MSport 25D Xdrive

Question Strange Rattle/Squeak Driver Side 2016 X1 25D

Hey Guys,

Recently had some issues with my X1, primarily issues around the EGR cooler recall and the manifold.... but I've also found this noise.

https://youtube.com/shorts/oaYX-vF50UA

BMW did a health check and cleared the car when replacing the EGR cooler and I've just had it serviced at an independent garage.

None of which have picked up on this noise until I've shown then this video.

It's going into BMW tomorrow but I'm worried about driving it in case it may be a timing chain issue, leading to more damage!

What are your thoughts / Have you heard this sound before?

Forgive me if this post is in the wrong place.... I'm new to the forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 12:08 PM   #2
srh007
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 25d

Hi, I’m so pleased to read your post.

I too have a 2016 BMW X1 25d. It’s a ‘66 plate with 67,000 miles on.

The car has been flawless for us over the past 18 months. However, we too have just (2 weeks ago) just had the EGR recall check completed. BMW said that everything was in spec and a replacement part would be issued later in the year or early 2024.

But I had noticed a very similar noise and had concerns. Your video is the first that I have been able to find that sounds similar. Although I have to say, I think the noise in your video sounds a little more worse than what I have heard and been able to capture.

Also, the noise I have seems to stop and start at random intervals.

I’ll try and upload the clip now and provide a link. Please do provide an update with what you find.

The only thing I had wondered about was the crankshaft vibration damper, or some part of the belt assembly. But I’ve not been able to confirm or deny this issue. But the car is going in for MOT next week, so I’ll be asking the mechanic to listen and take a look further.

Thank you and best of luck in the diagnosis.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 12:12 PM   #3
srh007
Rep

Uploaded the clip here:

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 10:57 AM   #4
RuggedToyBoy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 MSport 25D Xdrive

Hey,

OK, so yours sound very similar to mine, although not as rough. The sound does dissappear after a 5 minute drive and will only come back when the engine is cold again.

It's been with BMW all day today and they have concluded that it's the vibration damper.
In my case, it's not 'Urgent'. It's simply worn and not working as effectively upon start up BUT does need to be done soon.

They quoted me a little over £900 Inc labour, which is maybe double what an independent garage will charge so I guess that's up to you.

Hope this helps anyone out there with this issue.

For the record, my X1 only have 57k on the clock and been regularly serviced.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 02:41 PM   #5
srh007
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedToyBoy View Post
Hey,

OK, so yours sound very similar to mine, although not as rough. The sound does dissappear after a 5 minute drive and will only come back when the engine is cold again.

It's been with BMW all day today and they have concluded that it's the vibration damper.
In my case, it's not 'Urgent'. It's simply worn and not working as effectively upon start up BUT does need to be done soon.

They quoted me a little over £900 Inc labour, which is maybe double what an independent garage will charge so I guess that's up to you.

Hope this helps anyone out there with this issue.

For the record, my X1 only have 57k on the clock and been regularly serviced.
Thanks so much for a helpful and informative reply. I am glad that you have been able to obtain a diagnosis - albeit a fairly costly one.

I will be able to ask the mechanic at my MOT time next week to investigate and confirm suspicions of the issue.

Thanks again and happy motoring!
Appreciate 0