BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Heads up display and car play

02-17-2021, 11:35 PM   #1
tamon77
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Heads up display and car play

Will a 2021 x1 shows Apple Maps/ music info in the heads up display?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 12:03 AM   #2
pg101
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive Petrol (2021)

I have the 2021 X1 sdrive (India)... and no headsup display in mine... I dont use iphone.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 05:11 AM   #3
grumpyguy
Rep

Apple Maps doesn't display in the HUD but you can skip to the next song or go back to the previous one with the controller on the steering wheel following the display in the HUD. The name of the song appears but not the artist. When done selecting the song the HUD goes back to its regular display.
      02-18-2021, 06:02 AM   #4
tamon77
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyguy View Post
Apple Maps doesn't display in the HUD but you can skip to the next song or go back to the previous one with the controller on the steering wheel following the display in the HUD. The name of the song appears but not the artist. When done selecting the song the HUD goes back to its regular display.
Ok. Thank you for the clarification.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 06:52 AM   #5
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

3rd party navigation doesn't show in the HUD, but as others have said you will see the Now Playing list from the phone in the HUD.

The no 3rd party navigation in the HUD is an enormous PITA/disappointment
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 07:51 PM   #6
Paco II
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2021

I've found that using the native nav is surprisingly good, and you get the added benefit of the HUD. I am always listening to music via CarPlay, so I can start Waza and get police and hazard warnings while using the native nav. There are aspects of the native nav, beyond HUD capabilities, that I prefer over Google Maps and Waze. Obviously a personal choice.

I hadn't thought much about the HUD when I purchased my X1, but it has quickly become a favorite feature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
3rd party navigation doesn't show in the HUD, but as others have said you will see the Now Playing list from the phone in the HUD.

The no 3rd party navigation in the HUD is an enormous PITA/disappointment
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 09:42 PM   #7
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco II View Post
I've found that using the native nav is surprisingly good, and you get the added benefit of the HUD. I am always listening to music via CarPlay, so I can start Waza and get police and hazard warnings while using the native nav. There are aspects of the native nav, beyond HUD capabilities, that I prefer over Google Maps and Waze. Obviously a personal choice.

I hadn't thought much about the HUD when I purchased my X1, but it has quickly become a favorite feature!
I won't consider a replacement vehicle without a HUD at this point.
As far as the OEM NAV, while it's perfectly acceptable for long highway drives, it falls flat on its face when in the city and driving in traffic, Boston is notorious for traffic issues that randomly pop up during a drive and knowing about them is the key to using a NAV in the city, Google Maps and to a large part Apple Maps have real time traffic updates that put the OEM NAV to shame.

The killer app for the 3rd party navigation apps isn't the maps or directions, but the instantaneous crowd sourced traffic updates.
Appreciate 0