BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Driving style?

02-08-2021, 10:27 AM   #1
DorsetBimmer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X1 sDrive 20i M Sport

Unhappy Driving style?

Advice please,

I have an X1 sDrive 2.0i M Sport. (2019)

Since owning the car I have problems with the loss of traction when pulling out onto a roundabout or slip road from a standing start. The wheels appear to be spinning and juddering when pulling away quickly.

It is my first experience of driving an automatic - in a manual, I had more clutch control when it came to joining roundabouts etc.
I am not flooring the accelerator by any means, but on occasions you have to pull out quickly.

The car is shod with Pirelli P Zeros 225/50/18.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does the DSC need looking at?
Or is it a "characteristic" of the car?

I would appreciate any input.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 10:49 PM   #2
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorsetBimmer View Post
Advice please,

Since owning the car I have problems with the loss of traction when pulling out onto a roundabout or slip road from a standing start. The wheels appear to be spinning and juddering when pulling away quickly.

It is my first experience of driving an automatic - in a manual, I had more clutch control when it came to joining roundabouts etc.
I am not flooring the accelerator by any means, but on occasions you have to pull out quickly.

Take a video, I don't think anyone knows what you're talking about exactly.

My guess, try turning the dsc off and see what that does, I'm not sure if the x1 has it but there is I think a soft dsc off where you push it once and a hard dsc off try both.

If that doesn't help or make it worse then it might lead to another problem.

Are you sure it's wheels doing and slipping and not something mechanic that moves around?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 04:23 AM   #3
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Advice please,

This will be happening on a sDrive car because all the power in your vehicle is sent to the front wheels all the time (sDrive). It has a tendency to lose traction under certain conditions, such as when you floor it when trying to go into a space between cars on a roundabout or when leaving from a junction.
It is a "characteristic" of the car. The DSC does not need looking at. Even my wife's little VW Polo that had less power did it.
You will notice it tends to happen when the front wheels are turned slightly at an angle, more so when entering traffic on a roundabout, and also it manifests itself under damp road conditions especially on smooth tarmac surfaces.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 2
      02-18-2021, 05:00 AM   #4
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
This will be happening on a sDrive car because all the power in your vehicle is sent to the front wheels all the time (sDrive). It has a tendency to lose traction under certain conditions, such as when you floor it when trying to go into a space between cars on a roundabout or when leaving from a junction.
It is a "characteristic" of the car. The DSC does not need looking at. Even my wife's little VW Polo that had less power did it.
You will notice it tends to happen when the front wheels are turned slightly at an angle, more so when entering traffic on a roundabout, and also it manifests itself under damp road conditions especially on smooth tarmac surfaces.
Precisely my sentiments too. Couldn't have put it more succinctly and especially as regards (not) fiddling with the DSC.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2021, 05:50 AM   #5
MarioGeo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Another important variable may be the tyre pressure on the front wheels compared to rear wheels. If the front tyres are overinflated then the spinning effect may be accentuated since the contact with the road will be smaller. If the pressure between front and rear will be out of manufacturer recommendations then the gravity center may be affected also.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 07:43 AM   #6
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioGeo View Post
Another important variable may be the tyre pressure on the front wheels compared to rear wheels. If the front tyres are overinflated then the spinning effect may be accentuated since the contact with the road will be smaller. If the pressure between front and rear will be out of manufacturer recommendations then the gravity center may be affected also.
Hummm. Does not apply to this car I am afraid. BMW design is such that tyre pressures would have little impact if any. Along with all BMWs the engineers have designed the vehicles as much as they have 50/50 weight distribution, so tyre pressures will have little or no impact. They have even put the battery in the front to get the C of G in the centre for the X1, whereas in many other series they have put the battery in the boot (trunk) to balance the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 09:09 AM   #7
MarioGeo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Quote:
Hummm. Does not apply to this car I am afraid. BMW design is such that tyre pressures would have little impact if any. Along with all BMWs the engineers have designed the vehicles as much as they have 50/50 weight distribution, so tyre pressures will have little or no impact. They have even put the battery in the front to get the C of G in the centre for the X1, whereas in many other series they have put the battery in the boot (trunk) to balance the car.
Quote:
Quote:
My understanding is that F48 has a 54/46 weight distribution (not 50/50 like BMW sedans). I understand also that even the X drive is also slightly front bias hence the reason why tyre pressure is different from front to rear.

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1320310
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 10:16 AM   #8
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My understanding is that F48 has a 54/46 weight distribution (not 50/50 like BMW sedans). I understand also that even the X drive is also slightly front bias hence the reason why tyre pressure is different from front to rear.

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1320310
That may be so! It is the best the engineers could do considering the design of the BMW X1 that is based on the UKL2 platform. The difference in tyre pressure is irrelevant in this situation and not really relevant here, because as the OP is saying...
Quote:
and so only the front wheels are driven.

Loss of traction on the front-driven wheels. The rear ones are being dragged along. Tyre pressure on the rears does not affect the slippage the OP is getting on his front driving wheels.

Last edited by Peter_R; 02-18-2021 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2021, 06:51 AM   #9
DorsetBimmer
United Kingdom
Rep

My thanks to all for getting back to me.
I find it disconcerting losing traction when entering a roundabout.
I have tried it with DSC on and off with no appreciable difference; bizarrely, it helps if I enter the roundabout in sport mode!
I will try reducing the tyre pressure on the front wheels to see if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 07:03 AM   #10
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I will try reducing the tyre pressure on the front wheels to see if that helps.
The best of luck with that! You will need to have exactly the same conditions every time you drive to try and get consistent results.
Such as:
Outside air temperature
Tyre temperatures
Road conditions (Wet, damp, or dry)
Throttle position
All-up weight of the car.

Something that BMW engineers try to achieve from concept through to testing and finally to mass production. Even then they have to refine and test over time. This includes different tyres as they evolve and come onto the market.

Forgot to say! Your car is still under warranty? See a dealer and ask his opinion!

E & OE

Last edited by Peter_R; 02-19-2021 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2021, 12:03 PM   #11
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Advice please,

I know a number of sdrive owners have said the issues you raise are normal but I am not sure that it should be as bad or noticeable as you indicate. I never once, in three years of driving, experienced tyre scrabbling or torque steer in normal driving conditions in my X1. I know I had an xDrive but it is primarily front wheel drive and only diverts power to the rear wheels when there is loss of traction or DSC required it.
May I suggest you get this fully checked out as a warranty issue. I would suggest that you ask for the throttle to be reset/recalibrated and gearbox parameters are checked. I would also ask for the traction control and stability control systems to be checked. Unless pulling away on gravel/loose surface or a very heavy right foot, imho the front tyres should not spin/slip, especially in comfort/eco modes.

Tyres can have a huge impact and some tyres can make even the best handling car perform poorly in certain circumstances. The Pirelli P zeros are an excellent tyres but wheel spin is something that a number of people have complained about, it is possibly a compromise in the tread pattern which is quiet but also provides good stability and lateral grip. Have you tried the same model on different tyres?

Last edited by MJE60; 02-21-2021 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2021, 12:42 PM   #12
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I wonder if the original poster just has a heavy foot... I can roast the tires on my Honda Odyssey FWD minivan if I want to almost at any time, so entering any turn and having a heavy foot with a car that's "different" than what you're used to sounds really a question of driving style. Even on any xdrive or AWD car I have I can get wheels to spin. On my X2 if I am rushing to get into a gap while turning out of a side street the front tires will loose a little traction there as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 04:54 PM   #13
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Advice please,

I wouldn't overlook something as simple as having the car's wheel alignment checked and corrected.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 04:18 AM   #14
DorsetBimmer
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
I wonder if the original poster just has a heavy foot... I can roast the tires on my Honda Odyssey FWD minivan if I want to almost at any time, so entering any turn and having a heavy foot with a car that's "different" than what you're used to sounds really a question of driving style. Even on any xdrive or AWD car I have I can get wheels to spin. On my X2 if I am rushing to get into a gap while turning out of a side street the front tires will lose a little traction there as well.
I am not 'flooring' the accelerator - just depressing it a little further than, say, pulling away from traffic lights.

I will flag the issue up when it goes in for a service. (Two year service with 3700 miles on the clock!)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 08:20 AM   #15
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
Even on any xdrive or AWD car I have I can get wheels to spin. On my X2 if I am rushing to get into a gap while turning out of a side street the front tires will loose a little traction there as well.
I've never had any wheelspin on my xDrive, unless there was a lot of snow or ice on the road.
Appreciate 0