BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Looking for Audio upgrade advice (Basic audio)

08-31-2020, 04:45 AM   #1
m4rk
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (F48)

Looking for Audio upgrade advice (Basic audio)

Hello all,

I just got my F48 X1 2017 version. I like it a lot so far. The car drives great, looks awesome (pear-white, with matching leather seats) The Apple Carplay is a nice addition as well.

But the sound quality is less impressive. I THINK I have the basic audio package. (I have no tweaters in the doorposts, and no center speaker) I would like to improve the general quality. I think mids/highs are the worst. Bass is OK'ish (subs under the seat)

I am not sure what will have the most added value, considering my limited budget. Also, some simple replacement of existing speakers could be done by myself, whereas if I would have an amp placed, and having to re-wire the hole thing will probably be too hard.

I was thinking to replace the doorspeakers with a Focal or JBL speaker that has a tweeter in the same frame (so a 2-way speaker) Will that help? I also would like to add a center speaker (same size as door speakers?) so I will need to get myself a replacement grill for the dash. And will the wires be there, as I don't have a center speaker now?

So to recap, my questions are:

1. Will replacing the standard speakers with a 2-way version improve the sound? (I have seen some posts that the standard speakers are too small to make much of a difference)
2. Will the wires be there if I add a center speaker? Or will I need to add a new wire for it? (In that case it will probably be too complicated for DIY)
3. I dont think I have an amp, such as the HK version. (in the boot) Will I need to add or rewire, should I want to add a new amp?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 07:10 AM   #2
Tarekith
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M35i

1. Yes, to some extent although in your case a new amp will be needed too to get the most improvement.

2. Don't know.

3. Yes, a lot of rewiring if you don't have an amp in the trunk.

I put the Focals in my M35i and it was not only easy, but a nice upgrade overall. Here's my thread about the process and results: https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1729159
      08-31-2020, 07:32 AM   #3
m4rk
Registered
Rep

Thanks. I've seen that post, it covers some questions I had.

Not sure if I want to do all the re-wiring though. I'm a bit afraid I might damage something. And adding an amp will quickly force me to go over my budget. (not to mention if I can't do it myself)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
allwheelsdriven
#onelesssubaru
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM X1 MSport

yes its very much worth changing the front door speakers to Focals
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 02:17 PM   #5
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

I was thinking of upgrading my basic system with some Focal speakers, and started doing some research into it, but I'm likely to be handing the car back in a couple of months so I won't be going ahead with any installation. That said, this was what I was going to do...

For the front and rear, I was going to go for the Focal RCX-100 speakers along with an adapter from eBay to fit the four-hole speakers into the existing three-hole door mount. I did also buy some BMW fitment speaker wire tails from Aliexpress that I would splice onto the Focal speakers. I know that there is a "plug-and-play" Focal kit for the doors, but this seemed like a fun project to attempt, and it was quite a bit cheaper

I was also planning on fitting some Focal TWU1.5 tweeters, in the included little pods, to the bare patch of plastic on the window trim where other folk might have their HK tweeters.

Focal's own website was handy for the specifications, and the Crutchfield site had a lot of information about compatibility.

I don't know if any of this will give you food for thought, but good luck on whatever upgrade route you go down and I hope you get an improvement on the basic system
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 10:10 AM   #6
m4rk
Registered
Rep

Thanks for your feedback. I will start with the 2-way speakers in the front, and see how much that clears things up. (Don't want to add tweeters if I don't need to)

I could always add the center and amp later if needed.

Should anyone know if the wires for the center will be there in Basic audio, or if I have to place the wires myself, would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 03:13 PM   #7
Bcborn59
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Match Speakers are another great option, direct fit for BMW

Search Audiotec Fischer Match, they also have the wiring.

If you don't want to buy tweeter pods for the front doors doors go with the Coax Option.

If you don't have an amp in the car (no amp no center).

Basic System 6 speakers (4 doors, 2 under seat subs). (no used in North America)

Hi Fi System 7 speakers and an Amp (4 doors, 2 under seat Subs and a Center Speaker. (Basic North American System)

Harman Kardon System 12 Speakers and a more powerful amp (4 doors c/w tweeter), 2 subs and a center c/w tweeter.

To add the door tweeter you can buy these aftermarket pods or any of the other pieces.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...%2315618%23988
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 03:49 PM   #8
Fredro
GOLD Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 xDrive Premium

I just upgraded to BavSound speakers and Ghost subwoofers. Definitely a vast improvement, but definitely pricey.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 11:53 PM   #9
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

I put Pioneer tweeters in the corner adjacent to the plastic where the exterior mirror housing is located. I also put a Pioneer Powered Sub with an active crossover and Eq. I was going to change the 3" drivers in the doors however my aftermarket sound garage told me that those speakers are too small to make any kind of difference. I have the upgraded sound system 1 up from the base package. The subs under the seats are being used as lower mids. We used the BMWs tone controls to balance the system first then the subs eq after to customize the sound. No boom and lots of bass with good punch. The door speakers no longer handle the highs and just the upper mids by using a crossover and the tweeters handle upper mids to high frequencies. A really good balance without costing a huge amount.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 11:58 PM   #10
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

More pictures
Sorry the trunk picture uploads upside down no matter how I save it. It's held down with industrial velcro which is great because it can eventually be removed if I decide to keep the sub or if the next owner decides to remove it with no damage changes to the interior. The sub is secure and doesn't move at all and it doesn't shake. It's located under the trunk cover. It's also bigger than it looks in this picture. I didn't need to upgrade the amp because as everyone knows bass requires and consumes the most power from an amp. Once you remove that deep bass from the vehicles own speakers and amps it frees up power for the mids and tweeters. It cleans the sound up tremendously and everyone that hears it is impressed at how good it sounds. It sounds better with a CD, or Bluetooth sound and Satellite radio with the sound from the CD and Bluetooth (apps) equally and sat on some stations sounding the best.
Attached Images

Last edited by Xorbitman; 02-22-2021 at 12:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 02:55 PM   #11
bclam
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Thanks for sharing XorbitMan! I would like to mimic your setup in my X1. Im assuming you put the crossovers on the line running from the factory head unit to the door speakers and so the front left and right are powering both the tweeter and the door, is that correct?

Secondly, do you recall how you came off the existing head unit to the powered sub you installed? Is there a line out you can utilize on the existing head unit?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 10:09 AM   #12
marticztn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 xDrive28i

Garage List
How come a 2017 X1 has Apple CarPlay? Is it factory CarPlay? I thought this is only possible for X1s that are 2018 and above
Appreciate 0