BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Dinantronics Sport Performance Tuner vs JB+

02-08-2021, 11:39 PM   #1
pfdaxe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Dinantronics Sport Performance Tuner vs JB+

Guys:

I couldn't find a good thread (yes, I did a lengthy search) comparing the pros & cons for these 2 (Dinantronics Sport Performance Tuner vs JB+) simple tuners. I found comparisons for different BMW models, just not X1's. I just want a little bump for my wife's 2017 X-drive. We can only get 91 octane here in AZ but wanted real feedback on these. They are selling for the same price these days.

Thanks

Last edited by pfdaxe; 02-08-2021 at 11:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2021, 08:33 AM   #2
DemetriusJoel
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdaxe View Post
Guys:

I couldn't find a good thread (yes, I did a lengthy search) comparing the pros & cons for these 2 (Dinantronics Sport Performance Tuner vs JB+) simple tuners. I found comparisons for different BMW models, just not X1's. I just want a little bump for my wife's 2017 X-drive. We can only get 91 octane here in AZ but wanted real feedback on these. They are selling for the same price these days.

Thanks
I too would like to know. Is the Dinan even noticeable? Or do I just go straight for the JB4. I have a 2017 F48 Xdrive. All I want is a little more punch. Nothing crazy.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 04:43 PM   #3
31 Express
Rep
Drives: 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemetriusJoel View Post
I too would like to know. Is the Dinan even noticeable? Or do I just go straight for the JB4. I have a 2017 F48 Xdrive. All I want is a little more punch. Nothing crazy.

I have a thread selling a JB4 (a few threads below). I've had both the Dinan and the JB4. As I said in my thread, I felt the JB4 produced a better all around gain. Besides having a better result, the Burger has a dial on the module that you can adjust the "boost" with. The Dinan uses an app which never worked properly when I had it.

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1791174
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 09:00 PM   #4
natman316
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Had dinan on my X2, was okay not a huge difference. More peppy in the mid range for sure. App sucks (works but clunky)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 09:30 AM   #5
pfdaxe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1 xDrive28i M Sport

31 Express: PM sent
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 10:45 AM   #6
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

I had a software programmer that has the tools on his laptop and the OBDII connector and he was able to program a host of cool features to my 2018 BMW X1. Ours are made differently than those sold in the USA for example the windscreen and glass is thicker for better sound insulation and the vehicle comes with the windows already pre-tinted and a few other differences. My programmer was also able to use a software to bump up the HP and TQ on sports mode (turbo and other parameters) plus I added a BMW Cold air intake kit. The jump in HP is very noticeable and of course this affects the gas mileage. Also when I start the vehicle it no longer starts with the auto/start stop. When I put it in ECO mode (highway) it turns that feature on which it also does when the vehicle is low on gas too. I hear a lot of good things regarding the JB+ chip however some BMW dealerships will also program the ECU for a small fee ($400 - $600 unofficially) instead of buying a Dinan license. But you have to be discreet about this and not everyone does it. You need to know someone who knows...if you know what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 08:26 PM   #7
31 Express
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorbitman View Post
I had a software programmer that has the tools on his laptop and the OBDII connector and he was able to program a host of cool features to my 2018 BMW X1. Ours are made differently than those sold in the USA for example the windscreen and glass is thicker for better sound insulation and the vehicle comes with the windows already pre-tinted and a few other differences. My programmer was also able to use a software to bump up the HP and TQ on sports mode (turbo and other parameters) plus I added a BMW Cold air intake kit. The jump in HP is very noticeable and of course this affects the gas mileage. Also when I start the vehicle it no longer starts with the auto/start stop. When I put it in ECO mode (highway) it turns that feature on which it also does when the vehicle is low on gas too. I hear a lot of good things regarding the JB+ chip however some BMW dealerships will also program the ECU for a small fee ($400 - $600 unofficially) instead of buying a Dinan license. But you have to be discreet about this and not everyone does it. You need to know someone who knows...if you know what I mean.
That is very cool about the programmer Xorbitman. I also have a Cold Air Intake and if for nothing else, it sounds pretty good. I will say the nice thing about the JB+ or the Dinan is that they are relatively inexpensive, but more importantly, they can be installed and removed easily without the dealer knowing. I had a shop do an ECU tune on my car and I got a slap on the wrist from the dealership. This resulted in the dealership locking my cars DME, making it difficult for a shop to re-tune the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 08:27 PM   #8
31 Express
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdaxe View Post
31 Express: PM sent
Replied.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 12:02 AM   #9
redcars
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228xi

JB+ provides noticeable improvement. It's how it should have come from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:42 PM   #10
jrveron
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

I have JB + installed in my 2017 X1 2.0i and the power increase is noticeable, apart from being very easy to install and remove.

Btw, I also get only 91 octane gasoline.
      03-03-2021, 12:55 PM   #11
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Express View Post
That is very cool about the programmer Xorbitman. I also have a Cold Air Intake and if for nothing else, it sounds pretty good. I will say the nice thing about the JB+ or the Dinan is that they are relatively inexpensive, but more importantly, they can be installed and removed easily without the dealer knowing. I had a shop do an ECU tune on my car and I got a slap on the wrist from the dealership. This resulted in the dealership locking my cars DME, making it difficult for a shop to re-tune the ECU.
There is sufficient data space on the ECU in the BMWs to "hide" software programmed upgrades or tunes. And programmers can access software switches (which are in German) on or off that allow certain functions such as using LED fogs (round fog light on the older models) or LED taillights, auto on/off, handle lights to turn on when backing up, passenger side exterior mirror to point downwards while backing up, convenience door locking for mirror folding by holding the handle an extra 2 seconds, extra functions etc. My car came optioned with some options not available in the US models like the thicker glass and the digital dash that features kms/hr or MPH. My dealership didn't reprogram my ECU despite 3 oil changes so far and one Map software update. My Infiniti G37xS coupe has been tuned during warranty and my dealership didn't mention anything because they know that customers routinely tune these cars: GTRs, 370Zs and G35/37 and Q60. Infiniti even sells some performance parts including NISMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 02:07 PM   #12
Shagohod
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F48 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Express View Post
I also have a Cold Air Intake and if for nothing else, it sounds pretty good.
This is pretty much the only reason I have the Dinan tuner(also I got it for a steal). The gain is noticeable but ultimately pretty negligible in a car like this. But a small boost to your uh... boost, at least it makes for some good sound out of a "cold" air intake.
Appreciate 0