BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Weirdest thing happened with my brake pad today

08-07-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Weirdest thing happened with my brake pad today

I was out in the morning for a quick trip (maybe 1 mile each way tops). Then when I headed out again from the house, half a block away all of a sudden I hear this faint dragging/scraping sound start as if I tapped the brakes. There was no particular drag or slowdown of the car. It was faint, but when I rolled the window down it got a bit louder. I turned off the radio because I thought it could be something audio wise, but it wasn't. I did a few stops on the brakes, no change (well the sound stopped when the car stopped moving). I sped up a little, then stomped on it again.. no change. I then parked the car, and walked around just to do a quick inspection if there was any surface rust or what not. There were faint marks from the pads (we had a heavy rain last night and usually there is more surface rust in the morning after.. but this was my second trip of the day). Otherwise clean and shiny rotors. Confused I was just about to turn around to get the car up in the air to check.. but when I went another 10 meters or so all of a sudden the noise just disappeared almost if someone let off the brakes quickly.

I have never had a thing like this happen to any vehicle. I'm not too worried as it's not a stuck caliper, but I'll probably measure some rotor surface temps when I get home after work to double check.

Anyone had something like this happen to any car?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:15 PM   #2
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

This can be caused by a stone or other debris getting caught behind the rotor backing plate. Since it's not in the brake, stopping or braking by itself doesn't clear it, but sometimes reversing does. And because it's behind the rotor, it's hard to spot.

In my Volvo, if it's a stone (common), it makes a god-awful screeching noise. And it magically disappears.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #3
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

I guess I never thought of that.. I had a stone get stuck in the rotor twice in my life, and it made the most godawful screeching/scraping both times. Once was on my Evo, the other was on a 99 A4. This one I probably wouldn't have heard if I was going faster or had the radio louder. Maybe a tiny chip that just barely got caught.. great idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:53 PM   #4
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

One other idea - a branch caught in something, or wrapped around an axle. Don't know about your place, but mine had plenty of debris dropped by TS Isaias the other day,
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:59 PM   #5
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep

There is a lot of road debris, but not directly by my house right now, nor rocks... but I could have picked up something along the first ride of the morning certainly.

I did almost get whacked by exploding tree debris Tuesday, a large one fell near the road and I did get showered by the splash (when the rain was already heavy enough to warrant full wiper speed). I had flashbacks of 2 years ago, my wife had a tree fall just missing the car in front of her, but she got hit on the hood with a large exploding branch. It cost me $600 for PDR removal of that dent.. at least it didn't hit the windshield, it might have been able to shatter it with that force!
Appreciate 0