BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Radar guns..

04-06-2023, 02:46 PM   #23
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
Just curious and honestly being non-judgemental....has there been an accident of this kind, and if so, how many?
look at any south florida news. every fucking day.

A few weeks ago, about 1/2 mile outside our development, man in 70s living here hit by car on bicycle. Many broken bones etc etc. Used to see him every day walking his dog.

I also learned the intersection coming into our development there was a fatal accident there before we moved in.

Need more?
      04-06-2023, 03:56 PM   #24
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Some people drive fast, some drive slow. Just mind your business IMO. Unless there is a major safety threat like speeding through a school zone, just let it go.

As someone who also lives in a gated S Fla with a 20mph limit and speed cameras throughout the community, its annoying and painful to drive excessively slow.
Speeding in a residential area is a "major safety threat." I learned that lesson the hard way. I was driving down a narrowish residential street with cars parked on both sides of the street doing no more than 25 (the residential street speed limit here). Out of nowhere a kid comes shooting into the street on a Big Wheel. I slammed on the brakes and hit him as soon as I stopped. All I did was knock him over on his Big Wheel and he didn't even sustain a scratch. Had I been going any faster or my reflexes any slower, the result may have easily been quite different! I though I was in deep kimchi anyway when his mon came out of the house yelling in Spanish. Fortunately, she was yelling at her son and apologizing to me for his stupidity!

I rarely go over 20 anymore on residential streets; kids come out of nowhere!
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410979.50
2000cs3502.50
      04-06-2023, 04:10 PM   #25
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Speeding in a residential area is a "major safety threat." I learned that lesson the hard way. I was driving down a narrowish residential street with cars parked on both sides of the street doing no more than 25 (the residential street speed limit here). Out of nowhere a kid comes shooting into the street on a Big Wheel. I slammed on the brakes and hit him as soon as I stopped. All I did was knock him over on his Big Wheel and he didn't even sustain a scratch. Had I been going any faster or my reflexes any slower, the result may have easily been quite different! I though I was in deep kimchi anyway when his mon came out of the house yelling in Spanish. Fortunately, she was yelling at her son and apologizing to me for his stupidity!

Speed limit in our community is 15 mph for that reason (and pets). I never go above 15-20 mph in my neighborhood as I prefer not to kill my neighbors kids or dogs and its only 1/2 mile to my house from the front gate anyway. Seems like an easy thing to do. But I see lots of people going 30-40+ while looking at their phones and every once in a while, you see some mailboxes clipped.
      04-06-2023, 04:59 PM   #26
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Maybe you could join the HOA and drive change from within?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 05:42 PM   #27
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post
look at any south florida news. every fucking day.

A few weeks ago, about 1/2 mile outside our development, man in 70s living here hit by car on bicycle. Many broken bones etc etc. Used to see him every day walking his dog.

I also learned the intersection coming into our development there was a fatal accident there before we moved in.

Need more?
Yes actually. Give some examples from inside YOUR community. Would also accept similar size gated community with speed bumps. At least in the 12 years I've lived in my community (and mind you we've been living on the edge being 100% speed bumpless) I can't count one incident. I can't even recall ever seeing or hearing about one of these obnoxious moscavi ducks who are all over the community and think they own the road getting hit. Did have my mail box messed up once, but that was an idiot with a truck trying to backup and had nothing to do with speeding.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 05:50 PM   #28
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I agree with not speeding in residential areas, but what is more realistic... make sure NO ONE EVER speeds... and not just speeds but what about the 102 year olds we have driving around here... I'm sure their reflexes may not have been as good or what if the kid had jumped out just a bit sooner or you had shitty brakes or any of the other million variables that could have changed this outcome. Is it easier to stop all of that or to stop the kid from going into the street to start with?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 07:28 PM   #29
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post

This just incites people as soon as the road opens up!! my town did this last year they checked down a road that had 2x2 into 2x2/1x1/2x2. so goes 2 lanes into 1 for a mile and then goes back to 2. Meanwhile my commute just got 20 minutes longer because of the gridlock and then the traffic resumes the 10 over the limit.

Plain and simple enforce the speed limit and you won't need this type of BS.
Appreciate 1
Buug95917406.50
      04-07-2023, 09:21 AM   #30
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Maybe you could join the HOA and drive change from within?
THIS!!!

I'm working on my 250 words maximum candidate statement for the HOA of one of my rental properties. I'm tired of the threatening letters about a sign for the alarm company that just got installed, or the weeds. I want an HOA that keeps the grounds clean, but not sterile. I want CC&R that protect the value without impinging on the right to personalize a property.

The other rental place, the HOA sent me a letter last week, to notify my tenants that the HOA is going to paint my single family home. When I went to get insurance after the inheritance, Google showed me I had a freaking yellow house. I immediately contacted my management company, and told them once the place become vacant we are painting it. He tried to talk me out of it, saying there was no financial incentive to attract renter in spending that $. No, but I won't have a yellow house!!!
Literally, the color they are painting my house is . . . "Maybe mushroom" Yeah, maybe someone was on mushrooms when they picked that color name.
      04-07-2023, 09:26 AM   #31
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
THIS!!!

I'm working on my 250 words maximum candidate statement for the HOA of one of my rental properties. I'm tired of the threatening letters about a sign for the alarm company that just got installed, or the weeds. I want an HOA that keeps the grounds clean, but not sterile. I want CC&R that protect the value without impinging on the right to personalize a property.

The other rental place, the HOA sent me a letter last week, to notify my tenants that the HOA is going to paint my single family home. When I went to get insurance after the inheritance, Google showed me I had a freaking yellow house. I immediately contacted my management company, and told them once the place become vacant we are painting it. He tried to talk me out of it, saying there was no financial incentive to attract renter in spending that $. No, but I won't have a yellow house!!!
Literally, the color they are painting my house is . . . "Maybe mushroom" Yeah, maybe someone was on mushrooms when they picked that color name.
Be careful what you wish for. I am on the condo association board for our vacation property and can’t wait until my term is up at the end of this year. You’ll be surprised by the number and nature of things people complain about.
      04-07-2023, 09:32 AM   #32
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Be careful what you wish for. I am on the condo association board for our vacation property and can’t wait until my term is up at the end of this year. You’ll be surprised by the number and nature of things people complain about.
I've been on the local water board for about 20 years now. Can't get enough participation from the shareholders to show up to annual meeting and vote me off.

I just leave my heart/emotions at home before coming to any meeting. Did you get water? Did you pay for water? Then you owe us for water. Don't care if you forgot the hose was on, or you let someone stay at your house, or your dog ate your bill. How many times did you ignore our warning letters that you have a trickle, meaning something is leaking?

BUT, when we go to add some ridiculous rule to water distribution, I'm very shrewd on a) exposure to litigation b) equity to all shareholders.
      04-07-2023, 09:32 AM   #33
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

this is such a futile debate. most people who advocate for these rules are the same people who break them.

dropping kids off to school, OMG who was that speeding down the road.

no kids in car, OMG why are cars going so slow, I have to pick up my kids, go home etccc
Appreciate 2
gatorfast4997.50
Joachim328.00
      04-07-2023, 03:16 PM   #34
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Being on any HOA or Condo board is a PITA, there is always at least one person making the boards life miserable. Trying to change a HOA or the CCR is mostly a useless waste of time and if you do bring any change it opens up the floodgate. It doesn't matter what existing rules are people will complain just because even if they actually don't care truly about the violators. Many times people complain about neighbors is due to personal reasons not because they want rule compliance.

As far as speeding, if you have kids and thats your concern, then if its teens speeding by your house try to nicely talk to their parents. If its adults then try to do the same. But in todays world trying to even have a civil conversation with someone who did something wrong will turn ugly as the person turns into an Ahole when confronted.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 04:47 PM   #35
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
...Is it easier to stop all of that or to stop the kid from going into the street to start with?
Have kids?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 12:19 AM   #36
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I thought old folks in Florida where always shooting at things ...

... also I miss the good'ol days when Uzi fire was prevalent.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 04:10 AM   #37
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Bet you’re really popular at the community pool.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 07:49 AM   #38
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have kids?
Nope, which makes me qualified to give an unbiased opinion. Especially when EVERYONE is affected by the decision to install speed bumps etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 06:05 PM   #39
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Nope, which makes me qualified to give an unbiased opinion. Especially when EVERYONE is affected by the decision to install speed bumps etc.
I just laugh at the commercials that say to talk to your kids because they will listen you. That's rose-colored glasses thinking.

Actually, having no experience raising kids has the opposite effect. I went to a seminar way back as a teen where the speaker said he had many sermons on marriage... then he got married and threw them all out. Same with kids; had all these ways to raise (control) kids, had kids then threw them out. My sister nailed it years ago when she saw a toddler crying in a store and the dirty looks the mother was getting. She said those with kids will understand, those without, won't. She was/is right.

Speed humps don't bother me, speed mountains do!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 06:30 PM   #40
br438
Infinite Boulder Roller
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Raptor

it is possible that a letter with documentation of repeated "wreckless" driving... I know... by an amazon contractor... in a branded vehicle... on an attorney's letterhead would do something? I bet the Big A has thousands and thousands already. If all of the individual complaints were somehow able to band together, that would make a heck of a class action... if any implied responsibility can be attributed to the Big A in court.

I don't know what, but... once it's documented that the Big A has been notified, then their potential legal liability for anything bad that happens with a contract driver... anywhere goes up.

good luck? I know we have a UPS driver that I "love". He's our guy, and sometimes he blows by our house like a bat out of hell.... ?? Irritates the crap out of me... we live on a dead-end street. You have to try to be going that fast. hahaha.... He's not a contract employee, and UPS doesn't seem bothered as long as nothing happens.

so - Big A... non-employees. I think local LEO and tickets are about the only real "solution".
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 10:21 PM   #41
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just laugh at the commercials that say to talk to your kids because they will listen you. That's rose-colored glasses thinking.

Actually, having no experience raising kids has the opposite effect. I went to a seminar way back as a teen where the speaker said he had many sermons on marriage... then he got married and threw them all out. Same with kids; had all these ways to raise (control) kids, had kids then threw them out. My sister nailed it years ago when she saw a toddler crying in a store and the dirty looks the mother was getting. She said those with kids will understand, those without, won't. She was/is right.

Speed humps don't bother me, speed mountains do!
I don't claim to know anything about raising kids or dealing with kid. Nor am I making recommendations on how anyone should deal with their kids. I just don't want to deal with speed bumps every day of my life because someone has kids and can't stop them from running in the street. There are far more people in this community without kids than there are with kids (at least small kids).

Now I'm a reasonable guy. You want to bring a cop in to give tickets or something as recommended previously then go for it. The community speed limit IS 20 so... However doing something that is permanently going to affect everyone negatively just because someone has kids... nay nay.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 08:54 PM   #42
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
At my last residence, I joined the rules committee to leave some beneficial Easter eggs as well as hedge some of bafoonery some of people on it were clamoring for. Once the rules were set and approved, the committee disbanded.

Mind you, the subdivision was fully closed out/moved in but examples of what the other members originally wanted included things like no pets (at all), no parking on driveways, no kids playing outside, bringing in trash cans within 1hr of pick-up, etc... When it came to HOA board elections, though, meh... Unless they were problematic for me, I stayed aways from it.

At my current reaidence, thankfully, the HOA does little and the people are mostly sane.
      05-02-2023, 01:24 PM   #43
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa2033 View Post
This is why I refuse to live anywhere with a HOA.. Karens.
Is it really a Karen is some as*hat is flying by in his M4 at 50mph in a 30 while grandma is walking outside with her grandchildren?

Listen, I'm all for calling out Karen's, but this has some merit, depending on how bad it is. If they are doing 35 in a 30, stfu. But he's happy to waste $100 to check himself.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2023, 06:16 PM   #44
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

My cranky step-dad once asked me to order him a radar gun. I replied, "What are you going to do? Sit on your porch all day, aiming that thing at every passing car?"

He lived in an Arizona HOA. He asked me the question during the summer, if you get my drift.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0