BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Radar guns..

04-05-2023, 07:56 PM   #1
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Radar guns..

Our HOA is hell bent on making sure people have their holiday lights down in time and weeds under control, while some residents and commercial traffic are routinely driving 30-40mph in a 20 in our community..

I am looking for an inexpensive radar gun to informally clock community traffic.. Something in the ~$100 price range that can somehow record each car's speed and recall later. Anonymous records would be fine; i.e. I dont need a license plate reader or camera etc.

Something with accuracy of +- 2-3mph would serve the purpose of making a point that we have more pressing matters than low hanging fruit like crabgrass to the Board of Directors.

Can anyone (maybe LEOs here) recommend such a device?
      04-05-2023, 10:38 PM   #2
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Oh boy I sure hope you don't live in my community. Some people here seem to be hell bent on having speed bumps installed. Honestly I have a life so I don't really follow wtf is going on in the HOA but I believe they installed ONE speed bump somewhere as a "test". Dunno what that means or how you "test" a speed bump but I hope the test fails. I don't speed inside the community and I personally don't notice many people speeding. Then again I don't sit outside all day looking so...

Hopefully their sudden fear that people could be concealed carrying in the clubhouse will keep them busy and make them forget about the speed bumps. Maybe they can install some of those TSA spinning shits at all entrances connected to a tornado siren...

Anyways what were we talking about?
Appreciate 5
Buug95917400.50
wrickem2101.00
vreihen1615268.00
Joachim328.00
Torgus3781.50
      04-06-2023, 12:52 AM   #3
2008M36MT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Oh boy I sure hope you don't live in my community. Some people here seem to be hell bent on having speed bumps installed. Honestly I have a life so I don't really follow wtf is going on in the HOA but I believe they installed ONE speed bump somewhere as a "test". Dunno what that means or how you "test" a speed bump but I hope the test fails. I don't speed inside the community and I personally don't notice many people speeding. Then again I don't sit outside all day looking so...

Hopefully their sudden fear that people could be concealed carrying in the clubhouse will keep them busy and make them forget about the speed bumps. Maybe they can install some of those TSA spinning shits at all entrances connected to a tornado siren...

Anyways what were we talking about?
Better yet, they should find a way to repurpose the Planet Fitness lunk alarm to shame those speeders into compliance.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 07:18 AM   #4
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Spend some time researching “design speed”. If you want to slow traffic you really have to change the perceived safe speed (not posted limit). For example, a boulevard with wide lanes and shoulders marked 35mph will see speeds around 50, while the same road with curbs, parking and streetscapes might stay closer to 35. Subdivisions like the look of wide streets and fire depts like the easy access, but they encourage speeding.

Sleeping policemen are a bad option - annoying, hard on suspensions at teenage speeds, slow down the first responders, and tear up all of my favorite cars underneath. If you’re northern, the plow drivers also hate them.

You also can try some community education assuming the speeders live there and are not cutting through. A dog doesn’t shit in its own bed.
Appreciate 3
      04-06-2023, 07:21 AM   #5
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

install a speed camera lol
      04-06-2023, 08:13 AM   #6
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
This post made me glad as HELL I live in a rural HOA that has about 3 rules like no cars on bricks, no livestock, and we all pay for the lake maintenance. Living where people measure my weeds, cross check calendars with my decorations, and set up HOA speed traps would not be a place for me............

LOL
      04-06-2023, 08:18 AM   #7
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
https://carmanah.com/resources/traffic-calming/
      04-06-2023, 09:41 AM   #8
aa2033
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

This is why I refuse to live anywhere with a HOA.. Karens.
Appreciate 4
Llarry15947.50
vreihen1615268.00
JustinHEMI7445.00
      04-06-2023, 09:46 AM   #9
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep
Drives: nothing fast

Oh hey Karen,there you are!
-'22 X3MC,'20 M550i,'18 X2,F30 328xi,'07 E63 AMG (1st W211 63 in the 11s),997 C4S Cab,CLS55 AMG,E55 AMG,C55AMG
Appreciate 5
Tyga113235.50
vreihen1615268.00
JustinHEMI7445.00
Torgus3781.50
      04-06-2023, 09:54 AM   #10
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

And forums can suck because of know it all wiseasses

So you don't get me wrong, even though you already jumped to conclusions.. I don't want to set a speed trap and can't stand our HOA ..

Our community has 400 homes and relatively narrow curbed streets with on-street daytime parking and worthless, annoying speed bumps already placed.

The HOA is having a "crackdown" on things like weeds, xmas lights, visibilty of garbage cans and stained sidewalks.. threatening owners of $1M+ homes with $25 fines for non-compliance.

There are 20mph signs posted everywhere and even as you enter the community "Speed Checked by Radar". Since we are a gated community there is no police presence, except when called for an incident.

Landscapers, Pool maintenance and especially Amazon delivery vans and some residents punch it between speed bumps (1/10 - 1/4 mi between them) for their own satisfaction and zero benefit to their schedule.

All I want to do is to bring awareness to the BOD / management that they are focused on bullshit instead of making an actual effort to slow traffic.. and not suggesting it be done punitively. The HOA rules specifically state speed limit is enforced. The fake news that they make any effort at all is opening the community to lawsuit when some crazy effing Florida driver goes off the rails and hits someone or something. It happens literally every day in our county.

We don't need a fucking amazon driver taking a mirror off a car or taking out a kid on a bike because he has a goddamned quota
      04-06-2023, 10:08 AM   #11
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post

So you don't get me wrong, even though you already jumped to conclusions.. I don't want to set a speed trap and can't stand our HOA ..

Our community has 400 homes and relatively narrow curbed streets with on-street daytime parking and worthless, annoying speed bumps already placed.

The HOA is having a "crackdown" on things like weeds, xmas lights, visibilty of garbage cans and stained sidewalks.. threatening owners of $1M+ homes with $25 fines for non-compliance.

There are 20mph signs posted everywhere and even as you enter the community "Speed Checked by Radar". Since we are a gated community there is no police presence, except when called for an incident.

Landscapers, Pool maintenance and especially Amazon delivery vans and some residents punch it between speed bumps (1/10 - 1/4 mi between them) for their own satisfaction and zero benefit to their schedule.

All I want to do is to bring awareness to the BOD / management that they are focused on bullshit instead of making an actual effort to slow traffic.. and not suggesting it be done punitively. The HOA rules specifically state speed limit is enforced. The fake news that they make any effort at all is opening the community to lawsuit when some crazy effing Florida driver goes off the rails and hits someone or something. It happens literally every day in our county.

We don't need a fucking amazon driver taking a mirror off a car or taking out a kid on a bike because he has a goddamned quota
Curious. So you radar Amazon Joe going 30 mph. You tell HOA hey Amazon Joe be cray cray! HOA agrees... what do you do? Ban Amazon from delivering in the community? You already have speed bumps so that's out. They hire you full time to stand there with your radar gun and yell at Amazon Joe? As far as I know an HOA has no power over anyone except the people who live in the HOA. So since you seem to keep mentioning it's mostly Amazon and vendors who are speeding... what's the plan to stop them? Want to know in case it's a good idea I can steal it and tell these fucks at my HOA to do that instead of installing speed bumps.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 10:19 AM   #12
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Curious. So you radar Amazon Joe going 30 mph. You tell HOA hey Amazon Joe be cray cray! HOA agrees... what do you do? Ban Amazon from delivering in the community? You already have speed bumps so that's out. They hire you full time to stand there with your radar gun and yell at Amazon Joe? As far as I know an HOA has no power over anyone except the people who live in the HOA. So since you seem to keep mentioning it's mostly Amazon and vendors who are speeding... what's the plan to stop them? Want to know in case it's a good idea I can steal it and tell these fucks at my HOA to do that instead of installing speed bumps.
If we can agree that the Amazon drivers and other vendors are the problem...

YES have management inform the local amazon hub customer service of the issue and to know that driver Ids will be checked and any individual driver who has previously been warned about excessive speed will NOT be permitted into the private community. Amazon etc now pretty much get waved in.

Other vendors, suspend their access and they lose work, potentially lose customers permanently.

Residents? Repeat excessive speed - lets say multiple 35s in a 20 - and your resident gate access is suspended for x amount of time and you can wait in line with the guests and have your credentials checked to enter. Furthest house from the security gate is about 1/4 - 3/4 mile of house-lined streets. I think residents can keep it in their pants til they hit the public streets. Check my sig. I don't drive slow cars, or drive slowly in the proper venue.

It can work, and not Karen
      04-06-2023, 10:43 AM   #13
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Some people drive fast, some drive slow. Just mind your business IMO. Unless there is a major safety threat like speeding through a school zone, just let it go.

As someone who also lives in a gated S Fla with a 20mph limit and speed cameras throughout the community, its annoying and painful to drive excessively slow.
Appreciate 1
Joachim328.00
      04-06-2023, 11:25 AM   #14
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Some people drive fast, some drive slow. Just mind your business IMO. Unless there is a major safety threat like speeding through a school zone, just let it go.

As someone who also lives in a gated S Fla with a 20mph limit and speed cameras throughout the community, its annoying and painful to drive excessively slow.
For literally 30 seconds to 2 minutes to get to/from public roads, no it's really not. What do you do with the 11 seconds you save?
      04-06-2023, 11:33 AM   #15
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

Your only possible solution (other than speed bumps), if you or your HOA can make it happen, is to get the local police to come in and hand out tickets. The HOA is pretty powerless to enforce speed limits and most people know it, so the awareness will not result in changes. They send emails, but that's about all they will do. We had a police radar set up for a week at our community in FL (the one's that flash your speed) and it had zero impact on speeding.
Tommy-G4490.50
      04-06-2023, 12:16 PM   #16
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Quote:
Our HOA is hell bent on making sure people have their holiday lights down in time and weeds under control, while some residents and commercial traffic are routinely driving 30-40mph in a 20 in our community..

I am looking for an inexpensive radar gun to informally clock community traffic.. Something in the ~$100 price range that can somehow record each car's speed and recall later. Anonymous records would be fine; i.e. I dont need a license plate reader or camera etc.

Something with accuracy of +- 2-3mph would serve the purpose of making a point that we have more pressing matters than low hanging fruit like crabgrass to the Board of Directors.

Can anyone (maybe LEOs here) recommend such a device?
If you want to benchmark speeds through your neighborhood at a good DIY price point look at the Bushnell sports speed gun. I think they run $50.

Any more serious hardware you would require an FCC license to operate. You don't require a license to operate a Lidar (Light Detection and Ranging) device but they are well out of your price range.
      04-06-2023, 12:21 PM   #17
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

look CarsAndGuitars you want reason, but you probably live with a bunch of 400 pearl clutching motherfuckers. at best you will add speed bumps and people will find something else...so you can do all this shit...i feel you. I want to do it to at times, but if you win, you win speedbumps

edit: you already have speed bumps. at best you might get a LEO to ticket someone once in the blue fucking moon. but then people will complain about the optics in the neighboorhood of said LEO.

its a no win. let them clutch your pearls and move on.

to the design speed comment, i totally understand it, i do. but then why is the limit still arachic...and I can be penalized for not following it.

what if I feel my weeds are long enough to be safe...appealing but not everyone else does, hence tight rules...

what i am getting it are some rules are fucking stupid...things such a speed design are a mob created theory( which I believe the theory but what isn't that theory used to up the limit???) that enables said mob to break the law which is selectively enforced.

TL;DR you are just getting mad for no reason. most people are no reasonable, ESPESICALLY in a fucking HOA

Last edited by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY; 04-06-2023 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 12:22 PM   #18
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Your only possible solution (other than speed bumps), if you or your HOA can make it happen, is to get the local police to come in and hand out tickets. The HOA is pretty powerless to enforce speed limits and most people know it, so the awareness will not result in changes. They send emails, but that's about all they will do. We had a police radar set up for a week at our community in FL (the one's that flash your speed) and it had zero impact on speeding.
That seems like the only realistic "solution" to me. The other stuff the OP mentioned just doesn't seem realistic and would cause way more problems than what it's trying to solve.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2023, 12:30 PM   #19
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Here ya go: https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-1019...002X7V1Q&psc=1

Oh the irony of the Amazon driver speeding though your complex to deliver you your new radar gun.
Appreciate 9
      04-06-2023, 12:51 PM   #20
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep
Drives: nothing fast

FWIW I live in a gated golf-course community w 1100 or so million dollar homes(except my shithole),24hr security blah blah blah. Wife wanted to live here so that's that. I don't play golf. I hate the HOA&the ARB. Residents complained about other residents&contractors etc speeding,we have the speed camera thingy that displays your speed that was mentioned above. Doesn't do shit. HOA sent emails threatening violations to speeders. Nothing happened and nothing will. People are still going over the 25mph speed limit,myself included when I roll to the gym at 3:30am.
If you don't like the rules set in place by the HOA which you agreed to when you moved in,then move out. Personally,I can't wait to move to a single family home away from these entitled,uppity holy-rollers.
Until then,I do my own thing and mind my own shit.
-'22 X3MC,'20 M550i,'18 X2,F30 328xi,'07 E63 AMG (1st W211 63 in the 11s),997 C4S Cab,CLS55 AMG,E55 AMG,C55AMG
Appreciate 4
      04-06-2023, 01:32 PM   #21
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Quote:
Just curious and honestly being non-judgemental....has there been an accident of this kind, and if so, how many?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 02:18 PM   #22
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

I love the HOA.
The head guy is 2 houses catty corner to me and compains about anyone who lives in a rental house.
-The garbage cars should be hidden
-I had green mold on my gutters
-I drove home a work truck with decals b/c my car had a flat one night

But this jackwagon has a bright pink house, a navy blue fountain that looks like a phallic symbol and completely trimmed all the branches after Ian but left the tree torsos there. (I might take pics tonight just so you see I'm not exaggerating)

I do get the speeding thing though. People at the end of the developement fly down our street and anyone who lives in the first 2 blocks creeps along b/c of people walking with pets and kids etc
Appreciate 0