BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) 2018 X2 sDrive28i MSport - Should I get it?

03-12-2022, 09:37 AM   #1
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
2018 X2 sDrive28i MSport - Should I get it?

I've been looking for a daily to keep the miles off my M2. In about 18 months I will be handing it down to my daughter when she turns 16.

My initial pick was a slightly used GTI, and then was considering the new Integra.

I found an Certified 2018 X2 sDrive28i, for the same price range as the GTI. I've owned many BMWs, including my current car and most recently picked up a 2020 X5 sDrive40 for my wife. It's the first BMW SAV I've owned and I'm very impressed with it.

I have no need for AWD in FL, though I am a bit skeptical of a FWD BMW. As much as I'd love the XDrive35, I don't need the extra power since it will be mainly commuting miles and I can drive the M2 when I want some real spirited driving.

Sorry for being a little lazy with search, but I'm going to look later today. Any issues to look out for? Is there general positive sentiment for this model, specifically the SDrive28i? I have a lot of confidence in BMW in general and the Certified label gives me some additional piece of mind. I think it looks sharp and would make a great first car for my daughter while giving me a practical car to rack up miles in the meantime. Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 10:18 PM   #2
r3amir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X2

Should be a great car for your daughter, but it is no where near the luxury of X5
2006 325i Arctic Metallic
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 10:16 AM   #3
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I ended up getting the X2 and overall I'm quite pleased with it as a daily driver, especially at the price point in todays market. It's quite practical and drives pretty well overall. A nice bonus is the gas mileage is better than my other cars.

I do think the steering doesn't feel quite right. There is some noticeable pull when accelerating, which I originally thought might just be torque steer from the FWD. However, I still feel it under light acceleration. Also there seems to be a bit of play on center in the wheel; I can move the wheel several degrees both ways without any real reaction in steering. Has anyone encountered this or is this "normal" on the sDrive model? I'm taking it in tomorrow to get looked at, luckily it's Certified.

My only real other complaint is the HiFi. It's quite bad for a BMW. I have HK in my other cars, which especially in the X5 sounds really good. I'm considering a Bimmertech amp, but I think it may take me down the road of wanting to change out the speakers also. Not sure if I want to go down that road as I tend to go overboard once I start.

Again, overall the car is great. Nice little SAV that looks pretty good and has everything I need to get to the office or gym. I think it will be a really good car for my daughter in 17 months time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Burnt C6257.50
      04-14-2022, 01:06 PM   #4
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

My M35i doesn't have any steering wheel play.. sorry no sDrive advice.

I'd love to hear if you upgrade the amp how much an improvement it is. Our other X1 has the HK system and it is indeed better than the Hifi by a lot. I added in door tweeters as well as a tweeter in the center speaker for my X2 and it's BETTER.. but still not quite close to the HK system. I did hear that the amp helps.. also any of the bimmertech/focal add on door speakers with tweeters etc are an upgrade, but I wish I could hear how much of an upgrade.

For me.. the sound is just good enough, and I still love hearing the stock exhaust of the m35i so pure quiet sound quality isn't so much a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 09:04 AM   #5
Burnt C6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
I ended up getting the X2 and overall I'm quite pleased with it as a daily driver, especially at the price point in todays market. It's quite practical and drives pretty well overall. A nice bonus is the gas mileage is better than my other cars.

I do think the steering doesn't feel quite right. There is some noticeable pull when accelerating, which I originally thought might just be torque steer from the FWD. However, I still feel it under light acceleration. Also there seems to be a bit of play on center in the wheel; I can move the wheel several degrees both ways without any real reaction in steering. Has anyone encountered this or is this "normal" on the sDrive model? I'm taking it in tomorrow to get looked at, luckily it's Certified.

My only real other complaint is the HiFi. It's quite bad for a BMW. I have HK in my other cars, which especially in the X5 sounds really good. I'm considering a Bimmertech amp, but I think it may take me down the road of wanting to change out the speakers also. Not sure if I want to go down that road as I tend to go overboard once I start.

Again, overall the car is great. Nice little SAV that looks pretty good and has everything I need to get to the office or gym. I think it will be a really good car for my daughter in 17 months time.

We just picked up our S drive. I didn't realize that it was going to be a FWD. the torque steer is very noticeable. There are times when just accelerating already under power that you can feel it walk. I can't imagine ever turning off the traction control. Of course it doesn't help we down sized from a 2020 X6M50i to this little jewel.
Appreciate 1
mfarrzhp1491.00
      05-31-2022, 02:23 PM   #6
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt C6 View Post
Quote:

We just picked up our S drive. I didn't realize that it was going to be a FWD. the torque steer is very noticeable. There are times when just accelerating already under power that you can feel it walk. I can't imagine ever turning off the traction control. Of course it doesn't help we down sized from a 2020 X6M50i to this little jewel.
Well, sorry you notice it too, but I'm glad to hear it's not something wrong with my car.

I did take it in for service to have it checked out, and they said it's just noticeable torque steer. I've learned to live with it, but it is a strange feel in a BMW.

Other than the steering feel, it does handle well and it's a good overall package for daily driving duty.

I'd imagine it's quite a departure from your X6 M50i.

I do like it overall, but also like that I can bring my dog in the car and park like a normal person (instead of way out at the end of the lot) and not agonize over every single tiny rock chip on the front bumper.
Appreciate 1
Burnt C6257.50
      06-01-2022, 12:17 PM   #7
Burnt C6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Well, sorry you notice it too, but I'm glad to hear it's not something wrong with my car.

I did take it in for service to have it checked out, and they said it's just noticeable torque steer. I've learned to live with it, but it is a strange feel in a BMW.

Other than the steering feel, it does handle well and it's a good overall package for daily driving duty.

I'd imagine it's quite a departure from your X6 M50i.

I do like it overall, but also like that I can bring my dog in the car and park like a normal person (instead of way out at the end of the lot) and not agonize over every single tiny rock chip on the front bumper.
I love the handling. I use to Autocross out F30 328i and plan on doing this one also. it seems pretty nimble for sure. We took a trip in it over the weekend from Houston to San Antonio and I got 35 MPG at 75 MPH. not going to complain about that at all. put right at 700 miles on it and used 1 1/2 tanks of fuel. the 6 would have been 4 at $80+ a tank.
Appreciate 1
mfarrzhp1491.00
      06-01-2022, 04:34 PM   #8
r3amir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X2

Quote:

Congratulations on your X2. I do feel the torque steer under light acceleration (full throttle not tried yet), as I am still in break in period. I failed to notice in the test drive before I ordered it. I think it is normal.
2006 325i Arctic Metallic
Appreciate 1
mfarrzhp1491.00