BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

10-15-2019, 03:55 PM   #45
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
You're sworn?
Sworn AT, but no, I'm a computer geek.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 04:53 PM   #46
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
How do you deal with the anti cop attitude these days? My SO is LEO. It breaks my heart and scares the hell out me. It's a disgrace.

Does the brass have your backs or is it like the BS here in NYC?

It sucks. The worst part about it is that things are more transparent now than ever, and even still, there's so much dissent. The lack of accountability on behalf of some of the public makes it more difficult, especially with all of the race baiting. Everything we do is perceived to be colored by the race of the individual, and it's certainly not the case. Even with me being a black officer I'm still subject to the ridiculousness.

For the most part the brass at the station level supports the line staff; custody brass is hit and miss. It's bad for everybody everywhere though, and I really feel for the NYPD officers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
AWESOME!!

I've HEARD there may be groups of guys going on spirited drives across the country generally on the back roads. No high sustained speeds but bursts into some interesting figures. All family guys and often WITH their SO/Kids/friends in the cars. Nothing crazy. What would be your reaction if you so happened upon a group like this?

It would depend on a number of factors, but I am not so concerned with back roads. Being a car/bike guy, I naturally give some leniency to enthusiasts. I still love a good canyon or back road romp myself.
Appreciate 6
MKSixer34171.50
cmyx6go15579.50
Rmtt8206.00
King Rudi13152.00
      10-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #47
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Sworn AT, but no, I'm a computer geek.
Got it. I was once a computer geek myself. Oh the old days!
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      10-15-2019, 05:18 PM   #48
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

If I'm, I mean my friend is soliciting a hooker is it true if you ask to see the goods you can verify they arent a cop in that way?
Appreciate 4
kscarrol8778.50
MKSixer34171.50
King Rudi13152.00
      10-15-2019, 05:21 PM   #49
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

When I , er, MY WIFE pleads not guilty and then an appearance is scheduled, the officer is subpoenaed to show, right? So how does my wife think she can get out of it when the officer doesn't show, even when he said "I have a lot of training and vacation coming up"?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #50
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
If I'm, I mean my friend is soliciting a hooker is it true if you ask to see the goods you can verify they arent a cop in that way?
Naw. Vice is pretty well versed in talking their way around things. I wouldn't count on that being a telltale sign if I were you..........errrrrr...your friend.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer34171.50
Run Silent15127.00
King Rudi13152.00
      10-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #51
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
When I , er, MY WIFE pleads not guilty and then an appearance is scheduled, the officer is subpoenaed to show, right? So how does my wife think she can get out of it when the officer doesn't show, even when he said "I have a lot of training and vacation coming up"?
The officer is subpoenaed to show, but sometimes the officer can forget.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
King Rudi13152.00
      10-15-2019, 07:09 PM   #52
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Naw. Vice is pretty well versed in talking their way around things. I wouldn't count on that being a telltale sign if I were you..........errrrrr...your friend.
If I ask them to pay me for sex and they accept can I citizen arrest them?
Appreciate 4
Run Silent15127.00
King Rudi13152.00
BSM n54iS2684.50
      10-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #53
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Quote:

Wish it was this easy. If I forget to show, I get written up. If I can't make it (injury/vacation) the case gets continued.

Most of the time, the prosecutor pleas it to an equipment violation anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 08:26 PM   #54
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

We're not prohibited against lying to effect an arrest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
Quote:

Wish it was this easy. If I forget to show, I get written up. If I can't make it (injury/vacation) the case gets continued.

Most of the time, the prosecutor pleas it to an equipment violation anyway.
Damn! Your department is savage. Then again, I know some departments write up their officers for less.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 08:42 PM   #55
bigrum
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

Has a girl ever whipped her tits out to try and get out of trouble?

Do motorcycles get a little more unspoken leeway for speeding if they aren't flagrant like that Kawi idiot?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 11:06 PM   #56
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrum View Post
Has a girl ever whipped her tits out to try and get out of trouble?

Do motorcycles get a little more unspoken leeway for speeding if they aren't flagrant like that Kawi idiot?
No woman that I've encountered has attempted to use her boobs to get a pass, but they flirt from time to time.

Motorcyclists are harder to catch, so chasing them isn't always worth the risk of casualties, serious property damage, etc. With that said, sometimes Chippers will give chase.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 11:51 PM   #57
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Do those PBA stickers help shift towards leniency in a speeding stop? Are there still cards you give friends to use as a 'get out of a ticket'?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614894.00
      10-15-2019, 11:57 PM   #58
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Do those PBA stickers help shift towards leniency in a speeding stop? Are there still cards you give friends to use as a 'get out of a ticket'?
The PBA thing doesn't really work in California. Showing respect during a traffic stop and simply asking for a break will net a better outcome (....the squeaky wheel gets the oil ). People have name-dropped me to officers in areas where I'm known and managed to get out of tickets, but that doesn't always work. One girl that I used to date said, "My boyfriend works for [insert department here], so I'll ask him how to do the traffic school thing." The officer replied, "Well why didn't you say something earlier?"......and then let her off with a warning. Her boobs weren't out either. Lol!
Appreciate 4
MKSixer34171.50
Run Silent15127.00
King Rudi13152.00
Maynard3804.50
      10-16-2019, 01:48 AM   #59
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Can you bribe your way out of a traffic ticket ? Asking for a friend ...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 01:49 AM   #60
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Can you bribe your way out of a traffic ticket ? Asking for a friend ...
Somewhere......I'm sure you can.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
King Rudi13152.00
      10-16-2019, 05:46 AM   #61
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
No woman that I've encountered has attempted to use her boobs to get a pass, but they flirt from time to time.
How about turning on the water works? Can women cry their way from a ticket to a warning?

On a personal issue, is there some sort of official "do not taser me" bracelet or similar tag that people with certain medical conditions can wear? I have a medical condition where non-lethal force would surely be lethal, and my "get out of metal detectors free" card would be of little use in preventing a taser deployment. Of course, not winding up in a situation where an officer would need to taser someone is the best bet.....
      10-16-2019, 05:58 AM   #62
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
It sucks. The worst part about it is that things are more transparent now than ever, and even still, there's so much dissent. The lack of accountability on behalf of some of the public makes it more difficult, especially with all of the race baiting. Everything we do is perceived to be colored by the race of the individual, and it's certainly not the case. Even with me being a black officer I'm still subject to the ridiculousness.

For the most part the brass at the station level supports the line staff; custody brass is hit and miss. It's bad for everybody everywhere though, and I really feel for the NYPD officers.
I thank God every day my man isn't on the street anymore. He's a Sgt in the detective squad and does mostly white collar crimes. A couple times a year he has to go out and do the mass coordinated arrest warrants for gangs. I hate those days. But at least it's not every day.

I think I'd be a basket case if he was still on the street. Thank you. Be safe out there.
MKSixer34171.50
King Rudi13152.00
      10-16-2019, 09:46 AM   #63
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:

Reminds me of this: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-...e-army-1604254

Back story, this is one of my closest friends brother-in-law. Got crazy drunk with this guy one night. Homeboy is an absolute nutter and obviously has balls of steel.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #64
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I thought, when I have glanced at the ones our officers get, that there is something listed about "violation of penal code. . . " To me that would make me remember. . .
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 10:43 AM   #65
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Does asking for a break make it more likely you'll get one?

My strategy has always been be respectful, don't play dumb (though I try not to provide any specifics in case they're fishing), and make the officer feel as safe as possible (windows down, interior lights one, hands on wheel, engine off, pull over in an area where they're not in danger from traffic, tell them when and where I'm going to reach to get my paperwork).

The above has worked pretty well for me. But, I've never actually asked for a break-- do you think doing so would make me more likely to get one?

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 1
IamFODI364.50
      10-16-2019, 12:46 PM   #66
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:
How about turning on the water works? Can women cry their way from a ticket to a warning?

On a personal issue, is there some sort of official "do not taser me" bracelet or similar tag that people with certain medical conditions can wear? I have a medical condition where non-lethal force would surely be lethal, and my "get out of metal detectors free" card would be of little use in preventing a taser deployment. Of course, not winding up in a situation where an officer would need to taser someone is the best bet.....
I don't know that crying is ever effective. Surprisingly it hasn't ever happened to me personally (...aside from the Kawi rider).

As for a less lethal deployment deterrent....

...all of our less lethal options have distance requirements, be it a taser (...although we can dry stun up close), 40mm, stun bags, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Quote:

I thank God every day my man isn't on the street anymore. He's a Sgt in the detective squad and does mostly white collar crimes. A couple times a year he has to go out and do the mass coordinated arrest warrants for gangs. I hate those days. But at least it's not every day.

I think I'd be a basket case if he was still on the street. Thank you. Be safe out there.
He's where I ultimately want to be, even though I would lose any patrol related pay increases if I go to the detective bureau. There's always a trade off I suppose.

Thank you! I appreciate that. Tell your significant other to be careful out there.

Quote:
Quote:
I thought, when I have glanced at the ones our officers get, that there is something listed about "violation of penal code. . . " To me that would make me remember. . .
You're probably right. I'll look at one of my subpoena's today and confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Does asking for a break make it more likely you'll get one?

My strategy has always been be respectful, don't play dumb (though I try not to provide any specifics in case they're fishing), and make the officer feel as safe as possible (windows down, interior lights one, hands on wheel, engine off, pull over in an area where they're not in danger from traffic, tell them when and where I'm going to reach to get my paperwork).

The above has worked pretty well for me. But, I've never actually asked for a break-- do you think doing so would make me more likely to get one?
It doesn't hurt to ask. You're already detained at that point. I recommend it.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15579.50