BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Tire Questions

08-28-2020, 10:30 PM   #1
yeezy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228ix, 2018 x1

Tire Questions

Have a few tire questions if someone doesn’t mind sharing their insights and experiences. Currently have a 2018 X1 with the OEM run flats all season and they’re nearing the end of their useful life so I’m starting to explore replacement options. Would like to make a decision before the winter season and have new tires before that. So the options I’m currently contemplating:

Option 1 - Replace with a new set of all season run flats, easiest option as there’s no change.

Option 2 - Get a set of winter tires and a set of summers/all seasons.

So pretty straight forward at this point but if I do option 2 I feel like I have a lot more variability within this option. So if I get a set of winter tires should I get a set of winter wheels as well? Or should I have the tires mounted each time? I’m leaning towards a full set of dedicated winters to avoid the headache.

Also if I do a winter/summer set up do I go all season on the summer set up or do I opt for more performance summers? I personally like to drive a bit more spirited but having never used performance summers before not sure how the traction holds up if there’s rain or a temperature drop. For reference based out of NYC so we do get a decent amount of rain in the spring and always the random drop in temperature in the spring and fall.

Also, if I do the option 2 of the summer / winter set up I might also consider switching from run flats to standard tires. And possibility using the winter wheel as my spare in the summer and my summer tire as my spare in the winter. Has anyone done this before? Advisable of switching to non-run flats and also using the off season tire a spare?

Lastly I share this car with my wife and honestly she uses it more as a daily driver than me so I would definitely do not want to sacrifice safety and also another reason why I would want to keep the runflats so she does not have to deal with changing the tire if there’s a puncture.

Sorry if this was a bit long, semi just thinking out loud but all input is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 10:45 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

On an X1 in New York I'd get a set of non-run flat M&S (mud and snow) All Season Tires probably Michelin. And I'd make sure the Speed Rating and Load Rating match what the owners manual has listed.

And I'd check to see it the X1 had room for a spare tire and jack for emergencies.

I see no reason to get a set of Summer tires on an X1. All Season seems more versatile and appropriate for the X1.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 12:38 PM   #3
jmhumr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
On an X1 in New York I'd get a set of non-run flat M&S (mud and snow) All Season Tires probably Michelin. And I'd make sure the Speed Rating and Load Rating match what the owners manual has listed.
I just switched to non-RFTs this summer. I polled around and the two most popular options for the X1 are Continental DWS+ and Michelin A/S 3+. I went with Continental because they had a good promo. Can't go wrong with either one though.

Quote:
And I'd check to see it the X1 had room for a spare tire and jack for emergencies.
There's room for a donut and a lot of people (including myself) have done it. It's a factory option, so there are OEM parts for attaching the tire to the floor. Not enough room under the floor board for a full size, but you could get a nice cover and lay it in your cargo area.

Quote:
I see no reason to get a set of Summer tires on an X1. All Season seems more versatile and appropriate for the X1.
Agreed. Forget summer tires on an X1. Ultra high performance A/S tires have come a long way and are plenty of grip for spirited driving.

My suggestion for the OP:

As for your all-season's, it doesn't sound like you have any gripes about the ride quality or noise of the RFTs. If true, just keep it simple and replace with the best-reviewed RFTs you can find.

Whether or not you need winter tires is completely up to you. I live in Virginia and can easily stay home or granny-drive the 1-3 times a year that we get snow, but I know NY gets hit harder. If you decide to do dedicated winters, a set of used OEM wheels are easy to find in the $350-750 range compared to paying $80-100 twice a year for mounting and dismounting. So having a full wheel/tire set for the winter is by far the most popular option. Like I said above, if you're concerned about a flat in the winter, you could always throw one of your A/S tires into the cargo area for those 3-months of the year.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 11:29 PM   #4
yeezy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228ix, 2018 x1

Thanks for the input above! Think I’m going to stick with the all seasons for sure but I think I’m going to mix in a set of winter wheels.

Probably end up just going for a set of off brand wheels from tire rack since I can get them mounted and balanced before delivery and just swap them on myself to save a few bucks.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 08:56 PM   #5
Jack Watts
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

In close to a million miles of driving, I have never had a flat that a can of fix-a-flat didn't manage to get me home or to a place where I could get it repaired. I just don't see the benefits of run flats--and the tires are absolutely terrible.

Ditching the run-flats was the first thing I did on the X1, and I couldn't be happier.

My suggestion to the OP: get a winter-rated AS tire like Michelin Cross Climate Plus. It will offer more than enough performance on dry roads, and good daily-driving capabilities in the winter.
Appreciate 0