BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board I hate the US, or is it Canada, or is it border control ?

01-01-2023, 12:34 AM   #1
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

I hate the US, or is it Canada, or is it border control ?

Man, this happens everytime I order something from the US.
I seem to feel when I order something from amazon.com or .ca and it comes from the US I don't get dinged,,, anyway

I ordered a Jack from a company in Utah (modern spare), $50 (which got converted to can$ (I really wanted their one, it's an emergency one and I couldn't find what I wanted in canada)

So Company charged me, $50 +tax for the jack, then about $60 or $70 for Fedex then fedex sent me a whole wack of paperwork for customs clearance.
and charged me another $40

So $150 for a jack costing 50, I seem to think a jack from the dealer would have been around the same price, but without all the delays

I keep getting reminded that I'm in "North America" HELLOOOO AMERICA, America's Little cousin etc etc, <banghead> isn't there some kinda reciprocal agreement between my southern friends and your weed smoking northern hockey fans up here Eh !

I mean the company was awesome and had good comms and the item was great... no wonder the world is in such a state...

So I'm just going to sit here as a Canadian and just apologise to you all for wasting your time and as a Brit I'm just going to sit here and fume and keep a stiff upper lip.

No-wonder you guy's take to bell towers with rifles

God,
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 12:57 AM   #2
AWDtoRWD
Private
Rep
Drives: 23' R1S & 21' M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
So I'm just going to sit here as a Canadian and just apologise to you all for wasting your time and as a Brit
God,
wut
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2023, 02:16 AM   #3
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I have ordered parts from Canada ( and sent to), England, Poland, Denmark (quite a bit), Australia (several times), Mexico (and shipped), Japan, China ... never once have I had to do any customs added costs.
When I've shipped I did so through our US Mail and filled out a customs form. It's been a while now but I don't recall there being anything but maybe a few dollar charge and as long as I said it wasn't hazardous, corrosive or the like it got to the recipient with no issue in a timely manner.
But most anything I ship/order is car parts. I can't speak for anything else.
Appreciate 1
nazali1309.50
      01-01-2023, 03:01 AM   #4
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

I just ordered some plugs and then air filters from the States and both orders were to me in about four days each and with little fuss.

Must be the Canadians eh!
Appreciate 2
nazali1309.50
Tommy-G4490.50
      01-01-2023, 09:44 AM   #5
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I had to read that a few times before it made any sense...

Also FedEx is literally THE WORST of any of the shipping companies. I wouldn't trust them to deliver my mail from my mailbox at the bottom of my driveway to my house without destroying every last piece of it.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 2
Dpc2u11503.00
      01-01-2023, 12:24 PM   #6
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

Hey thanks, for that, next time I order from the US, maybe I'll ask the company if they do USPS ? I think that's what it's called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
I have ordered parts from Canada ( and sent to), England, Poland, Denmark (quite a bit), Australia (several times), Mexico (and shipped), Japan, China ... never once have I had to do any customs added costs.
When I've shipped I did so through our US Mail and filled out a customs form. It's been a while now but I don't recall there being anything but maybe a few dollar charge and as long as I said it wasn't hazardous, corrosive or the like it got to the recipient with no issue in a timely manner.
But most anything I ship/order is car parts. I can't speak for anything else.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 12:27 PM   #7
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

OMG really ? I ordered this jack in like 1st week in December/ mid november I want to say, yeah, have a feeling it must be some scam on the Canadian border side.

In fact I seem to remember ordering or sending things from the UK and there was none of this stupid charges or big custom's delays and clearances

txs !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
I just ordered some plugs and then air filters from the States and both orders were to me in about four days each and with little fuss.

Must be the Canadians eh!
Appreciate 1
HFW0035696.50
      01-01-2023, 12:30 PM   #8
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I think from a customs clearance charges POV, I've had the same problem with UPS as well as Fedex.

I've had just as much issues with UPS as I've had with Fedex, although very few and far between.

both companies including amazon, do good tracking along the whole journey and even send you a picture of the item on your doorstep, once i's delivered.

I've seen the youtube video's but not been my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I had to read that a few times before it made any sense...

Also FedEx is literally THE WORST of any of the shipping companies. I wouldn't trust them to deliver my mail from my mailbox at the bottom of my driveway to my house without destroying every last piece of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 01:06 PM   #9
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Might defeat the purpose but don’t some people have it dropped stateside and then drive across the border and pick it up?
Appreciate 1
nazali1309.50
      01-01-2023, 02:31 PM   #10
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

Yeah I know people who do this, and that is awesome, but I see 2 problems with this.

1> you "should" really declare it at the border, I know 1000's don't, but I guess if your car is searched and you have products and invoices, the BS guards could mess you up, the chances of this are slim to none, but still I've seen too many episodes of "Border Security" to be wary of trying to scam the system

2> I would need to drive to Niagara cross there get my package and come pack, not sure of the cost's involved including the stress of interacting with BS, would it be easier and cheaper that paying $100 bucks ? shipping and customs, I rate my time at $59/hour I'm a contractor. It wouldnt be worth it

I only visited the US twice, 1st about 20-25 years ago well before 9/11 and I was coming to DJ, so paid work, a guy wanted me to DJ for him, so paid all my expenses except plane fare, I had 2 bags one full of records the other full of clothes, I was traveling alone, the TSA at US didn't bat an eye lid, just waved me through, no questions, I was so nervous !

The second time, about 5 years ago, I crossed at Niagara with OH and 6 yr old child, I came across the NASTIEST POS "black / afro american" guard, (his color was an issue which I will explain why)

He spoke to me with such contempt, I had my hands were he could see them, all windows rolled down, hat off, except I forgot to remove my sunglasses. He BARKED at me an order to remove them.

He barked at my OH to remove the hat my 6 yr old was wearing

Barked at me again, why I was coming to the US, luckily I had all paperwork, hotels etc, (once again I was coming to DJ) but this time I just had some CD's so not suspicious, we also were having a nice 5 day break.

OH and kid had a Canadian passport, I had my UK passport and PR card with me. There was some kind of form I "could have pre-completed" I hadn't he asked me about it, I said I wasn't sure, so again got narky as Fuq and gave me again some really BS crappy statement. So I had to go and park up and get this form (I had to PAY for this privilege btw to get into the US)

Oh and at some point during the conversation, he referred to me as "boy"

When I went to the control, again I had a barrage of questions, but this time by a more polite guy, I had to pay in CASH for this Visa/form thing, I was photographed as well, OH and Daughter didn't need to go through this procedure.

To say this guy had a chip the size of the Mississippi was an understatement, I was going to complain, but thought better of it. My prayer that night was somone would put a bullet in his lousy fuc'ing brain and I don't usually have these thoughts.

I encountered law enforcement on my trip and stopped off at diners, I DJ'd my event and EVERY SINGLE American without exception I came across was awesome, friendly, with the "Oh I love your accent", not one single issue, didn't even get involved in any road rage.

As for ever crossing into the US...well I guess that's a no.

Ohh sorry for the rant <soapbox mode off>
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 02:45 PM   #11
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Yeah I know people who do this, and that is awesome, but I see 2 problems with this.

1> you "should" really declare it at the border, I know 1000's don't, but I guess if your car is searched and you have products and invoices, the BS guards could mess you up, the chances of this are slim to none, but still I've seen too many episodes of "Border Security" to be wary of trying to scam the system

2> I would need to drive to Niagara cross there get my package and come pack, not sure of the cost's involved including the stress of interacting with BS, would it be easier and cheaper that paying $100 bucks ? shipping and customs, I rate my time at $59/hour I'm a contractor. It wouldnt be worth it

I only visited the US twice, 1st about 20-25 years ago well before 9/11 and I was coming to DJ, so paid work, a guy wanted me to DJ for him, so paid all my expenses except plane fare, I had 2 bags one full of records the other full of clothes, I was traveling alone, the TSA at US didn't bat an eye lid, just waved me through, no questions, I was so nervous !

The second time, about 5 years ago, I crossed at Niagara with OH and 6 yr old child, I came across the NASTIEST POS "black / afro american" guard, (his color was an issue which I will explain why)

He spoke to me with such contempt, I had my hands were he could see them, all windows rolled down, hat off, except I forgot to remove my sunglasses. He BARKED at me an order to remove them.

He barked at my OH to remove the hat my 6 yr old was wearing

Barked at me again, why I was coming to the US, luckily I had all paperwork, hotels etc, (once again I was coming to DJ) but this time I just had some CD's so not suspicious, we also were having a nice 5 day break.

OH and kid had a Canadian passport, I had my UK passport and PR card with me. There was some kind of form I "could have pre-completed" I hadn't he asked me about it, I said I wasn't sure, so again got narky as Fuq and gave me again some really BS crappy statement. So I had to go and park up and get this form (I had to PAY for this privilege btw to get into the US)

Oh and at some point during the conversation, he referred to me as "boy"

When I went to the control, again I had a barrage of questions, but this time by a more polite guy, I had to pay in CASH for this Visa/form thing, I was photographed as well, OH and Daughter didn't need to go through this procedure.

To say this guy had a chip the size of the Mississippi was an understatement, I was going to complain, but thought better of it. My prayer that night was somone would put a bullet in his lousy fuc'ing brain and I don't usually have these thoughts.

I encountered law enforcement on my trip and stopped off at diners, I DJ'd my event and EVERY SINGLE American without exception I came across was awesome, friendly, with the "Oh I love your accent", not one single issue, didn't even get involved in any road rage.

As for ever crossing into the US...well I guess that's a no.

Ohh sorry for the rant <soapbox mode off>
You sound like a delight.

“Let me be racist, I’ll explain why this is important later”

Fails to explain.

Just racist. You hoped he got a bullet in his brain for telling you you entered the country without the proper visa (pre-filing is a requirement).

I hope you get banned for being a racist.
Appreciate 2
Torgus3781.50
      01-01-2023, 02:53 PM   #12
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Re: border, goes both ways.
The several times I’ve gone into Canada (Vancouver side) for work, the Canadian border intake people were pretty harsh.

The first time she grilled me really good (first time in) and I was really frustrated as how I was being treated.

The 2nd time in, figuring I had the questions down, the guy was worse than the first time in. Sheesh.

The 3rd time in, I saw an Asian guy, and I thought “oh a fellow Asian… I’m in” and NOPE! Worst of all 3 to date. He finally let me in and as I was walking to the exit, the guy at the end flagged me and put me in a special room. Called my employer and gave me the whole 9 because my homie hookup flagged me. Thanks.

A few months ago i went in the Ontario side and breezed through though. Go figure.
Appreciate 1
nazali1309.50
      01-01-2023, 03:44 PM   #13
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I haven't been to Canada since I was a kid, 30 some years ago. Just going through recently to get a passport so I can go up and watch Canadian rally maybe.

Sounds like the border crossing aren't like it used to be. Now everyone is a criminal and up to criminal activities. Not really something I'm looking forward to.
But if I where Canada I wouldn't want the stereotypical Americans coming in either. Me, I just want to watch some cool shit and go home. See a Moose maybe.
Hell maybe I'll just drive across the lake and skip the border alltogether.
Appreciate 1
nazali1309.50
      01-01-2023, 05:38 PM   #14
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

It has been like this for years and it's not the fault of the US or Canada but more so the logistics companies involved.

1. Amazon.com adds import/custom charges in your order at the time of delivery.
2. USPS and Canada post typically avoids the duties
3. UPS is a bastard and in addition to the taxes charges heavily in duties and admin fees. The added charges are much more than what you would pay if your order at the border and pick it up yourself.
4. Fedex does the same as UPS. At one point FedEx used to deliver the item and send invoice later. You can choose not to pay and get harassed by collectors.

NAFTA agreement often prevents these added charges but no one cares to read. Fedex and UPS are happy to take advantage of that.

When UPS/Fedex delivers, you can let then know you will get it cleared yourself and go to one of the centers and do what's required.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 07:44 PM   #15
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Man, this happens everytime I order something from the US.
I seem to feel when I order something from amazon.com or .ca and it comes from the US I don't get dinged,,, anyway

I ordered a Jack from a company in Utah (modern spare), $50 (which got converted to can$ (I really wanted their one, it's an emergency one and I couldn't find what I wanted in canada)

So Company charged me, $50 +tax for the jack, then about $60 or $70 for Fedex then fedex sent me a whole wack of paperwork for customs clearance.
and charged me another $40

So $150 for a jack costing 50, I seem to think a jack from the dealer would have been around the same price, but without all the delays

I keep getting reminded that I'm in "North America" HELLOOOO AMERICA, America's Little cousin etc etc, <banghead> isn't there some kinda reciprocal agreement between my southern friends and your weed smoking northern hockey fans up here Eh !

I mean the company was awesome and had good comms and the item was great... no wonder the world is in such a state...

So I'm just going to sit here as a Canadian and just apologise to you all for wasting your time and as a Brit I'm just going to sit here and fume and keep a stiff upper lip.

No-wonder you guy's take to bell towers with rifles

God,
Of the $150, how much was:

U.S. sales tax, and
Canadian VAT
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 03:23 AM   #16
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

Interesting, I pulled up my invoice today, for some reason I thought I'd paid tax,but couldn't see it in the invoice

Subtotal: $54.99
Shipping: $70.86 via FedEx Ground To Canada
Total: $125.85

Fedex charged me,
Disbursement fee $10
HST $3.71
Canada HST $9.63
Clearance $19.30
tot: 42.72

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Of the $150, how much was:

U.S. sales tax, and
Canadian VAT
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 03:35 AM   #17
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

Let me tell you something fella,

"Fails to explain"
Hmm ? You didnt readm right, re-read, you understand the term BOY and when used to a BLACKMAN or VICE-VERSA

10th Paragraph
"Oh and at some point during the conversation, he referred to me as "boy""

There ain't anything that YOU can tell ME about racism, PERIOD, GOT IT, I actually lived it,
it's not some throw away term to me, it has and was FULLY INGRAINED in my life

From the 70's-naughties, I been through more racist scenarios that you had hot cakes, I was racially discriminated by both white AND a black teacher and don't tell me black people can't be racist, because I know better.

I've been stomped into the ground by a gang of 5 white kids, while teachers looked on.

While I was at school, I was ridden into the path of an ongoing car by 3 thugs and while I got beaten up all was watched on by 2 adults.
There was a gang of known racists at my high school and I spent 5 years running, ducking and hiding.
I had the crap beaten outta me by 2 black guy's who called me a paki immigrant.

When I had enough I learnt self defense, but not before I had suffered a broken jaw & concussion.
and 1 black guy sexually assaulted me in school watched by his black friends
And telling teachers did shit and I was close to offing myself twice and was nearly put in a psych ward for my own protection

Let's not talk about the job discrimination as well.

Have you ever called a black man BOY, try it kiddo, it is the same as using the N word.

The ONLY reason, the ONLY reason I didn't stomp that guy into the ground, was he had a GUN and was hiding behind a badge.
The same goddamn bullies I met and encountered at school, if it wasn't a student calling me a paki
there were plenty of teachers who though "curry muncher" was a fun new term
Tell me who does a 10 year old go to, to complain einstein ?

I have no problem with being grilled, I have no problem with you asking me a shed load of questions, it is YOUR RIGHT AS AN AMERICAN to question those that come into your country. To give me access or not.

Hide behind a gun and a badge and then call me a RACIALLY DEROGATORY term because YOU have some worm up your butt and chip on your shoulder is beyond cowardice and that guy will get it, Karma, always sees to that and people, BLACK OR WHITE who act like that USUALLY do that all the time, and they usually run into a psycho who will teach them right from wrong.

I had my wife and kid in the car and DIDNT wanna be behind bars.

But if that dude was anyone else I woudda stomped his brains out, I ain't the bullied 10 year old I used to be.

I got the money & job to prove thoes F8kers wrong, they are all I hope in jail.

AND

"Generally, British Citizens are allowed entry into the United States under the Visa Waiver Programme (see also ESTA);
however there are certain exceptions so we encourage you to check at the time of booking if any special requirements apply in your particular case."

source: north america travel service

AND EVEN IF THEY CONSIDERED ME CANADIAN

Information for Canadians
Canadian citizens generally do not require a visa to enter the United States directly from Canada for the purposes of visiting or studying.

source: US EMBASSY.com

and wether or not I had the required paperwork, becuase I explained I wasn't sure, that is NO, grounds
ABSOLUTLEY NO GROUNDS for a RACIALLY DEROGATORY TERM

is that kinda clear now ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
You sound like a delight.
“Let me be racist, I’ll explain why this is important later”
Fails to explain.
Just racist. You hoped he got a bullet in his brain for telling you you entered the country without the proper visa (pre-filing is a requirement).
I hope you get banned for being a racist.

Last edited by nazali; 01-02-2023 at 03:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 07:56 AM   #18
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

It's always my fear about this hassle when I purchase things from overseas. But so far, I've been able to escape the issues you've had. I purchased a few watches from a couple of businesses in Hong Kong. I think both shipped DHL and they've arrived with no surprises. What I paid online was what I paid total with no extra charges. Shipping was pretty quick too with one shipment which actually arrived the next day which shocked me.

I purchased items from a couple of European retailers and I think those where shipped via UPS. Again no issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 09:12 AM   #19
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting, I pulled up my invoice today, for some reason I thought I'd paid tax,but couldn't see it in the invoice

Subtotal: $54.99
Shipping: $70.86 via FedEx Ground To Canada
Total: $125.85

Fedex charged me,
Disbursement fee $10
HST $3.71
Canada HST $9.63
Clearance $19.30
tot: 42.72
The manufacturer charged you $55
FedEx charged you $100 ($10 + $19.30 + $70.86)
Ottawa charged you $13 ($9.63 + $3.71)

Shipping cross border is the issue. You paid a portion of the $100 in the form of a premium to have the product that met your requirements.

What would be the comparable total amount if you ordered a comparable $55 jack from Canadian Tire, delivered to your home? I realize the CT jack is not exactly equivalent, but what would the transaction have cost you, so the mental exercise can be completed?

Last edited by chassis; 01-02-2023 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 12:11 PM   #20
o_g
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 M3, '22 Ioniq5

Pre-pandemic, we would travel to the US all the time to collect goods. I get stuff delivered to US Address in Niagara Falls, US (https://usaddressinc.com/).

At the border, always declare everything; you don't want to be black-listed. Usually, if you have spent under 200 per person, they will let you through without paying duty. There is a cost for them to process you for duties, FYI.

For my last trip, I ordered a Scuba Intake for the M3 from ECS Tuning. I got it for 59/USD, and with free shipping in the US, plus no tax. I also used an AMEX which has no extra USD to CAD conversion fee.

Scuba Intake (ES#: 35300); I paid $5 at US Address, and they waived duty at the border. And I fueled the car up in the US, so I got some cheaper gas.

If goods are manufactured in US/CAN/MEX, then they may be duty-free, as per NAFTA. For all other goods, you can calculate the duties here: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...t-cal-eng.html.

UPS and FedEx suck balls, as far as shipping is concerned. They add customs brokerage and their shipping rates, across the border, are expensive.

As an aside, shippers like DHL or a myriad of other Chinese shippers that handle logistics for eBay retailers, usually under-quote the goods value on shipping documents. Unless you get heavy / bulky items.

You really need to travel with a Canadian passport. If you have a visa or an I-9x entry permit, then you will get some hassles at the border.

The only time we were pulled for secondary inspection was when my wife and I drove my Russian-Israeli buddy to the outlet malls; we are Pakistani-Canadian, and maybe the border officials found the pairing odd - whatever. We never get stopped or go through secondary, ever. At most, the agent at the kiosk may want to rummage through the trunk, but that would be when entering the States.

And if we go for more than two days, then we will spend well over the 800/CAD allowance per person, but they never charge duty as long as you always declare to the border agents.

When CAD to USD was almost at parity, we would go the States almost every weekend. Done many road-trips to New England, Florida, Texas, Arizona and California, and immensely enjoyed every single minute of it.

Pre-9/11, crossing the border was very lax, and you could cross with just your drivers license, and some nominal ID. Post-9/11, things got a lot more strict. Either way, you may run across someone having a bad day, or someone on a power-trip. Just don't let them get under your skin. Don't be curt with them, but don't give over-elaborate answers, either.
Appreciate 1
chassis6552.50