BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) X2 F39 Taillight Flaw / Issue ... Can I Salvage It Or No?

07-02-2023, 04:36 PM   #1
jvivlemore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

Question X2 F39 Taillight Flaw / Issue ... Can I Salvage It Or No?

Some of you may recall my post a couple years ago. I started getting a 'left rear turn signal bulb malfunction error' indicating my signal light was burnt out. To my shock I removed it and it wasn't. It was perfectly fine but what I was discovered was one of the two points on the tail light assembly where the bulb socket / bulb holder makes contact had melting on the black plastic surrounding that metal point.

Thanks to some members here and elsewhere I took a knife, sand paper, and metal files to try and bring that metal point to the surface by removing as much of the burnt plastic as possible. I did this twice over the past 2 years with success but after a windshield replacement and them scanning my car and recalibrating things it is popping the error and my signal is no longer working.

I've tried the bulb socket from the other side (same issue) and even plugged the other taillight assembly from the other side into the same wiring harness and it works so I know it's 100% the tail light assembly and this contact point causing me issues.

Any tips and/or advice on how to salvage it? It seems like a waste to buy a new one for $250 shipped when the entire thing works and this small part is the reason it's not working.

Attached pictures below show the section that has the issue, the non-affected upper side, and the affected bottom side that has the melting/damage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 05:06 AM   #2
forgemarco
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I’ve bent the metal tabs outwards on the bulb holder to make better contact, worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 08:46 AM   #3
davetcollection
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 18d S Drive

It's only the earth contact, Solder a wire directly on to the bulb. It'll be years before the bulb blows
Appreciate 0