E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 2000 to spend, what would you prioritize?

04-26-2024, 11:10 AM   #1
chris55552
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW x3 35i

2000 to spend, what would you prioritize?

If you guys had an LCI e92 328i Xdrive with only 2k to spend on a suspension upgrade to make it as close to the OEM sport suspension and overall better handling, what would be your top cost effective choices before inevitably running out of money? Thanks for your time in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 11:58 AM   #2
335i54n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e39 m5

stock height/msport only coilovers are bc rm, otherwise

b8, front monoballs, rear subframe inserts, alignment
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 05:36 PM   #3
chris55552
Private
Rep

awesome reply, love it thanks for the feedback it helps tremendously.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:22 PM   #4
Peter Morrin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90(sedan) 328xi

xdrive suspension upgrades

A good way to word your question. I strongly suggest reading the referenced article for some guidance. It is the best I have found:

https://dreamingin302ci.blogspot.com...ve-handle.html

The first response has merit. You might want to consider the Powerflex urethane bushinngs for the control arm to chassis bushing (PFF5-5701). Not as solid as the mono-ball but less expensive, less prone to winter corrosion issues, likely less NVH. You should examine the joints of the other front control arms as well as the tie rods while you are in there.

Rear sub-frame bushings are a bear to replace. It took me about 60 hours, but YMMV. I used the Revshift urethane bushings (less expensive from FCP). Less sub-frame movement over bumps on curves, no noticeable increase in NVH.

If your tires need to be replaced, putting money into better rubber is likely good performance value, but durability will likely go down. I run Continental DWS 06 plus in 225/45-17 in the summer and like them as a sporty all-weather tire. I run dedicated snows in the winter.

Outside your budget, but I think the ST coil-overs are perfectly matched to this car for daily sport use. They are the same as the KW 1, but with painted steel bodies rather than stainless. The rear shocks are prone to early failure, so I would consider some Bilstein B8 or Koni when the shock fails. Keep the springs.

Let us know what you end up doing.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:40 PM   #5
chris55552
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morrin View Post
A good way to word your question. I strongly suggest reading the referenced article for some guidance. It is the best I have found:

https://dreamingin302ci.blogspot.com...ve-handle.html

The first response has merit. You might want to consider the Powerflex urethane bushinngs for the control arm to chassis bushing (PFF5-5701). Not as solid as the mono-ball but less expensive, less prone to winter corrosion issues, likely less NVH. You should examine the joints of the other front control arms as well as the tie rods while you are in there.

Rear sub-frame bushings are a bear to replace. It took me about 60 hours, but YMMV. I used the Revshift urethane bushings (less expensive from FCP). Less sub-frame movement over bumps on curves, no noticeable increase in NVH.

If your tires need to be replaced, putting money into better rubber is likely good performance value, but durability will likely go down. I run Continental DWS 06 plus in 225/45-17 in the summer and like them as a sporty all-weather tire. I run dedicated snows in the winter.

Outside your budget, but I think the ST coil-overs are perfectly matched to this car for daily sport use. They are the same as the KW 1, but with painted steel bodies rather than stainless. The rear shocks are prone to early failure, so I would consider some Bilstein B8 or Koni when the shock fails. Keep the springs.

Let us know what you end up doing.
Cant thank you enough for your input, ive never been strong in the suspension and tire coversation but after learning the cons of xdrive I realized I need to study up and make good cost effective decisions. Im not a track guy, really would rather the n52 over the n55 or n54. Id totally prefer a slower smoother car thats well balanced and light on its feet over raw power. My goal for my 3 series is just to get it as close to the rwd sports package feel as possible. One thing thats an easy upgrade is in the wheel department, I currently have wheel style 338 which weigh 27lbs, im ditching those and going with style 157;s which are 18lbs per wheel which will cut down 8lbs at all 4 corners of unsprung or rotational mass which all together comes in at roughly 200 lbs of weight savings which will be about the same as the awd added weight, then adding some michelin pilots or Continental DWS 06 plus in 225/45-17 like you have coupled to at minimum koni yellows and possibly coilovers and new bushings. Thanks for the link and info, im reading it now.
Appreciate 0