BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) metallic knock under the rear part of the car

04-08-2024, 04:50 AM   #1
br_318_d
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive18 DA

metallic knock under the rear part of the car

Hello everyone,
I would like to ask for help if anyone has experience.
I have had a problem with my X1 xDrive18d automatic for a long time.
After mapping the engine to 140kw power, a sound can be heard from the rear part of the vehicle, around the rear differential and towards the left wheel.
The sound is heard as a metallic knock only when accelerating from a standstill, it is not heard when stopping or driving or when changing gears.
The mechanic tried everything, I changed the flex disc, the left half-axle, the rear brake pads, checked the suspension, the rear frame .... everything OK.
Has anyone had experience with a broken diff or similar?
Please some advice or help
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:43 AM   #2
jcreme
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 M3

I have found the F48 to be extremely sensitive to suspension changes and generates loud banging noises when suspension components are worn.

I had a loud noise in the front, disassembled the suspension, and replaced identified worn parts. The noise persisted. I ended up replacing front suspension parts one by one until they were all new.

My point is this: a normal suspension inspection (moving the suspension around looking for incorrect movement) and even inspecting the parts while disassembled did not seem like they needed replacing.

I suggest replacing suspension parts based on mileage not by condition (inspection).

By the way, I have not found the same for engine/transaxle/differential mounts which seem to be extremely forgiving.
Appreciate 0