BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Have an estoril blue, thinking about mimic the 04 wrx sti look.

12-16-2023, 03:41 PM   #1
Leaftors
Rep
Drives: BMW x1 2017

Have an estoril blue, thinking about mimic the 04 wrx sti look.

Thinking about painting the wheels gold. Might want to lower the car too. What's the cheapest decent option for lowering? I was considering the br racing coilovers but it's $1000 that I shouldn't be spending money on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 09:53 PM   #2
saphirschwarz.f48
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW F48 X1 sDrive

a lot of folks run Bilstein B12 kit (Eibach springs with Bilstein B8 dampers) on their Bimmers, it’s quite a ubiquitous setup honestly. you can try that. or if you’re worried about the ride being too harsh you can always go for Eibach springs with Bilstein B6 shocks.

Both these setups will be good and I’d say probably a better fit for the F48 as some members previously reported running coils causes a low speed shimmy (due to the coils lowering the car too much and messing up with the balancing weights etc)

Take a look at Knightarmor’s thread to read about the low speed shimmy issue https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1604373

Last edited by saphirschwarz.f48; 12-16-2023 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 11:56 AM   #3
Leaftors
Rep
Drives: BMW x1 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphirschwarz.f48 View Post
a lot of folks run Bilstein B12 kit (Eibach springs with Bilstein B8 dampers) on their Bimmers, it’s quite a ubiquitous setup honestly. you can try that. or if you’re worried about the ride being too harsh you can always go for Eibach springs with Bilstein B6 shocks.

Both these setups will be good and I’d say probably a better fit for the F48 as some members previously reported running coils causes a low speed shimmy (due to the coils lowering the car too much and messing up with the balancing weights etc)

Take a look at Knightarmor’s thread to read about the low speed shimmy issue https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1604373
Thanks! Someone mentioned to me that I could also just put lowering springs and keep everything else oem. Does that work? They said h&r, eibach, tein, swift are all good brands.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 12:05 AM   #4
saphirschwarz.f48
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaftors View Post
Thanks! Someone mentioned to me that I could also just put lowering springs and keep everything else oem. Does that work? They said h&r, eibach, tein, swift are all good brands.
I would not recommend doing lowering springs on stock shocks honestly… especially if your stock shocks are near to wearing out. The ride and handling will be much better if you do the lowering springs with the Bilstein shocks rather than on the worn out stock shocks, to maximize the ride and handling gains and not have a jarring ride. Plus, might as well do it all at once than having to take apart the suspension again to replace the shocks not too far down the line anyways
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 09:32 AM   #5
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Regarding Bilstein B6 and B8, you should go with B8 for lowering springs.

Talking about springs, I would choose H&R or Eibach.

If you want to save some bucks, buy the Bilstein B12 combo: Eibach lowering springs + Bilstein B8 shocks.

As a thumb rule:
  • Bilstein B4 - These are classed as a replacement damper. A few B4 variations exist depending on the vehicle application but these are all intended to replace the standard shocks fitted when the car was new.
  • Bilstein B6 - A non-adjustable sport damper which is painted yellow. The B6 damper is designed for the motorist who wants a sporty ride without lowering the car or changing the original springs.
  • Bilstein B8 - just like the B6 shock absorber but shorter. These are only for use with lowering springs or listed for vehicles with factory sports suspension. They are shorter to ensure the all-important coil spring pre-load as lowering springs are shorter than OE springs.
      12-19-2023, 10:42 AM   #6
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Yesss do it! I have the misano blue X2 and I have been thinking of the dark bronze for a while.. love the color. I also had a dark bronze on one of my previous black cars and loved it. I honestly might plastidip my stock wheels as soon as I run the stock tires out as I plan on putting winters onto those and when I take the tires off I might just paint it then.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 09:17 AM   #7
saphirschwarz.f48
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
Regarding Bilstein B6 and B8, you should go with B8 for lowering springs.

Talking about springs, I would choose H&R or Eibach.

If you want to save some bucks, buy the Bilstein B12 combo: Eibach lowering springs + Bilstein B8 shocks.

As a thumb rule:
  • Bilstein B4 - These are classed as a replacement damper. A few B4 variations exist depending on the vehicle application but these are all intended to replace the standard shocks fitted when the car was new.
  • Bilstein B6 - A non-adjustable sport damper which is painted yellow. The B6 damper is designed for the motorist who wants a sporty ride without lowering the car or changing the original springs.
  • Bilstein B8 - just like the B6 shock absorber but shorter. These are only for use with lowering springs or listed for vehicles with factory sports suspension. They are shorter to ensure the all-important coil spring pre-load as lowering springs are shorter than OE springs.
The B6 is able to run lowering springs, at least in a ‘de facto’ manner. From what I’ve heard, it’s slightly less harsh ride than the B8 if thats what youre looking for. B8 however is indeed, by design, the Bilstein shocks for the purposes of running lowering springs.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 09:52 AM   #8
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphirschwarz.f48 View Post
The B6 is able to run lowering springs, at least in a ‘de facto’ manner. From what I’ve heard, it’s slightly less harsh ride than the B8 if thats what youre looking for. B8 however is indeed, by design, the Bilstein shocks for the purposes of running lowering springs.
I had lowering springs with OEM M-sport shocks, and they worked ok.

But the problem with the Bilstein B6 is the length. I ran into a similar problem with Koni Sport shocks. The lowering springs didn't settle correctly since they have a regular x-drive OEM length. While it might work, it isn't how it should be, and you will constantly hear noises from the strut tower.