BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion G60 40e or G26 M50

11-14-2023, 11:52 AM   #1
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
G60 40e or G26 M50

Kind of in a dilemma. Currently need to decide if I order a i5 40e or a i4 M50. Car needs to be electric and under €80k in order to qualify for reduced tax rate, this unfortunately means I can't get all the options on the G60 that I'd like to have. So here are the possible specs:

G60 i5 40e
- M Sport, Alpine White, 19" standard wheels
- manually adjustable sports seats
- HUD, 360° camera, Highway Assistant
- Bowers & Wilkins
- Digital Key
- Heated Steering wheel
- no privacy windows, no iconic glow kidneys, no 4-wheel steering, no comfort seats, no cooled seats, no seat memory, no 4 zone climate control, no comfort access

G26 i4 M50
- San Remo Green, 18" standard wheels
- Driving Assistant Professional, 360° camera, HUD
- laser lights
- comfort access
- sports seats with memory
- harman kardon
- heated steering wheel

I don't really need the car, I still have my F11, which is doing fine (with comfort seats, seat cooling etc. but none of the driving aids). I got a new job and need to go to the office 2-3 times a week which is about 80 miles one way on the Autobahn, can charge at start as well as destination. The main reason for me to get a new car are the driving aids, hence I'm currently leaning towards the i5. But, well 544hp in the i4 will be fun to drive, I'm just thinking that it might get boring if I'm doing this 3 times a week long term.

I feel like I'm missing out not being able to get all the features I want on the G60, but comparing it to the i4, it still seems to be better in most relevant aspects. I can't get the comfort seats/seat cooling, but the i4 also just has sports seats. I can't get the 4-wheel steering I wanted to have, but the i4 also doesn't have it. And those features that the i4 does better mostly I don't care about. E.g. memory seats, I'm the only one driving, so it's set once and forget. The only thing annoying is the comfort access really.

The main point for the i4 is obviously the power, which is enough to not make me sure with the decision to order the i5. Anyone of you has some other points I didn't think about yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 10:22 AM   #2
gfhlyte
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Hi, if it's me, I'd go for G60 i5 40e. The manually adjustable front seats are safer..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 04:11 PM   #3
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

You said in your post you don’t need the car and that you’re missing on some options that you’d like. Why bother spending on something that is not 100% you’d like to have ? It’s quite substantial amount of money to settle. I’d just wait till I would be comfortable with getting whatever I 100% like.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 04:33 PM   #4
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafichicago View Post
You said in your post you don’t need the car and that you’re missing on some options that you’d like. Why bother spending on something that is not 100% you’d like to have ? It’s quite substantial amount of money to settle. I’d just wait till I would be comfortable with getting whatever I 100% like.
Yes, I understand where you're coming from and if I paid full price I certainly would get all the options on my wish list, but I'm in a very special situation where I get a massive discount on the car. Getting e.g. the G60 and saving on fuel (can charge for free at work and have 20kWp solar panels at home) I would only pay like 150-200€/month for everything (car itself, insurance, service, winter tires, electricity). That's such a laughably low amount it doesn't make sense to not get the car, even if it's not 100% percent specced to the level I'd like it to be. Going over the 80k MSRP would immediately increase monthly costs by 200€ as I'm not benefiting from the tax discount. Even though I really want to have e.g. the comfort seats, it's not worth 200€ per month (plus higher leasing cost as the car is more expensive).
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 04:37 PM   #5
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
Yes, I understand where you're coming from and if I paid full price I certainly would get all the options on my wish list, but I'm in a very special situation where I get a massive discount on the car. Getting e.g. the G60 and saving on fuel (can charge for free at work and have 20kWp solar panels at home) I would only pay like 150-200€/month for everything (car itself, insurance, service, winter tires, electricity). That's such a laughably low amount it doesn't make sense to not get the car, even if it's not 100% percent specced to the level I'd like it to be. Going over the 80k MSRP would immediately increase monthly costs by 200€ as I'm not benefiting from the tax discount. Even though I really want to have e.g. the comfort seats, it's not worth 200€ per month (plus higher leasing cost as the car is more expensive).
If that would be my only car I’d go with more complete package and in this case I5 would be my choice. It will be more comfortable and have better audio.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 04:42 PM   #6
Matt@Evolve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E36 M3 Touring, Z3

Having been in both, the i5 is a much more premium vehicle compared to the i4.

Both will feel quick up to a certain point anyway, I wouldn’t be too worried about the lesser performance of the 40e.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 04:45 PM   #7
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Seems like the feedback is quite clear, thanks for your input

Now I just have to wait until the new legislation is passed and I'll be first in line to order the G60.
Appreciate 0