BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Tesla crazy residuals

08-23-2022, 03:24 PM   #23
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I don't own a Tesla, but I can't believe the Model 3 Performance suspension is harsh. In every test where I see it compared against really sporty ICE cars, it has an absolute ton of wheel travel and body roll. Everyone's reference point is different, but I'd expect it to have a plush ride compared to a BMW M car.
I have a model 3 long range and it rides smoother than my m3 comp.

I don’t mean when taking corners as the Tesla isn’t known for that. I mean just regular driving. The m3 even in comfort rides harsh. And yes I checked for the shipping blocks and I adjusted my tire pressures.
Appreciate 1
chris7197353.00
      08-23-2022, 03:37 PM   #24
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
I have a model 3 long range and it rides smoother than my m3 comp.

I don’t mean when taking corners as the Tesla isn’t known for that. I mean just regular driving. The m3 even in comfort rides harsh. And yes I checked for the shipping blocks and I adjusted my tire pressures.
I believe you, the videos show Model 3s appear to have very little roll stiffness. Not sure how that squares with the other poster's experience. The G80 is also the among the best M cars ever in terms of ride quality.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 03:44 PM   #25
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I believe you, the videos show Model 3s appear to have very little roll stiffness. Not sure how that squares with the other poster's experience. The G80 is also the among the best M cars ever in terms of ride quality.
Damn, good thing i didn't try to get an F80 then lol. One thing i do hate is a stiff ride.

I know the model YLR rides harsher than the model 3. At least from what car reviewers have said.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 07:01 PM   #26
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
More craziness:
Chevrolet dealer exposed for charging $90,000 over mrsp for 2023 corvette
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 12:11 AM   #27
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Buddy at work has two Teslas. He can't wait to trade them in now that he saw the new BMW i4.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 10:43 AM   #28
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Nope. The G80 absolutely has a smoother and more compliant ride than a Model 3 Performance.

Model 3 and Model Y don't ride particularly well.
I can't comment on a G80 but my Model 3P rides better than my X3MC. The ride is fine for me but I'm used to BMW M-cars and in the past daily drove EVO's. The Model 3P really isn't an all out performance model as it's really more of a LR with bigger brakes, rubber, and a spoiler. Initially Tesla (Elon) stated that performance models had a 1 cm drop but recently they removed the "lowered suspension" wording from their performance configuration page so it appears that it doesn't come with specific performance springs that lower ride height. There is a weirdness to overall feel of the setup as it feels like a combination of firm springs and underdamped shocks but I find it totally fine for a commuter car. I think a lot of the harsh ride stuff comes from people that moved to a Model 3 from cars like Camry's and Accords as it would definitely be firmer than what they are used to as there's little doubt that Model 3 and Y's would benefit from better suspension tuning. I just don't think it's as terrible as some say.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 10:47 AM   #29
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

LOL ride quality, my 997 is an ox cart, the Saab feels like a limo in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 01:53 PM   #30
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Initially Tesla (Elon) stated that performance models had a 1 cm drop but recently they removed the "lowered suspension" wording from their performance configuration page so it appears that it doesn't come with specific performance springs that lower ride height. There is a weirdness to overall feel of the setup as it feels like a combination of firm springs and underdamped shocks but I find it totally fine for a commuter car. I think a lot of the harsh ride stuff comes from people that moved to a Model 3 from cars like Camry's and Accords as it would definitely be firmer than what they are used to as there's little doubt that Model 3 and Y's would benefit from better suspension tuning. I just don't think it's as terrible as some say.
wow so much to unpack there.

didn't know it's no longer lower,

and the bit about Camrys, yes that's it!

can't get past the absent dash, ipad controller and all day sun though
Appreciate 0