BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) 2018 BMW X2 Rear break pads service

10-06-2021, 07:40 PM   #1
1nscape
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

2018 BMW X2 Rear break pads service

Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well. So today when I got in my car, I received an orange warning message indicating service in 2000 KM for rear break pads and I need to schedule and appointment. Before that I had two messaged indicating oil change and just regular car check, which isn't an issue, I do it on yearly bases as part of the lease and just your standard 4 year maintenance. But it is the first time I see this message, the car only has 41,000 KM which is 25,000 miles. When I visually inspected the breaks, and the pads it seemed absolutely fine just as good as the front. Now I have been reading people having an issue with the sensor itself, and the fact that is just programmed to say it within certain range of km. I am just worried that I will go for the usual maintenance, and they will try to dink me for it and say something about it. I heard people resetting the warning and it never comes up again, however, since it is on lease not sure if it is a good idea to mess with it. It just seems weird, considering the driving the style that I would get this warning. Anyone has experienced this or has any advice?

Thank you appreciate the help
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 11:16 PM   #2
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Pop the wheels off and measure your pad thickness. Make sure to check all eight pads.

My normal bmw brakes (e90, f33) would usually go 40-50k miles on the rears and 50-60k miles on the front.

Not sure what my X2 M35i brakes will get to but at my last oil change they said there’s 7mm of pad in the front and 8mm in the back. Plenty of life.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 12:27 PM   #3
1nscape
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
Pop the wheels off and measure your pad thickness. Make sure to check all eight pads.

My normal bmw brakes (e90, f33) would usually go 40-50k miles on the rears and 50-60k miles on the front.

Not sure what my X2 M35i brakes will get to but at my last oil change they said there’s 7mm of pad in the front and 8mm in the back. Plenty of life.
Thank you for your response my friend. I called the dealer and it says oh it means it needs to be changed. It’s weird since the mileage is low and driving habit isn’t intense. I will pop the wheels and check it myself. They said it will be like 800 bucks no thank you. If I have to change it I will do so myself, it isn’t a hard job.
Appreciate 1
chowser512025.00