BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Rear Diff Fluid - Hypoid Axle Oil G__...what?

06-30-2021, 01:35 PM   #45
petered
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1 xdrive 18d

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 03:57 PM   #46
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Jack,

The Dremel tool will probably work but take quite some time. You'll probably be going through a good number of small cutting discs. An angle grinder would likely make quick work of it. I forget if you'll have access with a much larger tool though.

I recommend bringing both tools if you can.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 04:19 AM   #47
petered
Rep

Photos showing rib removed.

Haldex clutch with pump attached was removed to provide clearance to cut rib.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
wcs2229170.50
      07-15-2021, 05:30 AM   #48
Maccam26
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X1 M Sport Black

Awesome posts on haldex, I plan on keeping the F48 so will be changing the fluid and cutting that rub also when time comes
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 08:11 PM   #49
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by petered View Post
Photos showing rib removed.

Haldex clutch with pump attached was removed to provide clearance to cut rib.
Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 08:23 AM   #50
petered
Rep

Haldex Fluid Change & Pump Sock Clean

Anybody any updates on successfully completing a pump removal fluid clean & filter sock clean?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 05:56 AM   #51
petered
Rep

Any Haldex Updates?

It's been quite a while, has anybody successfully managed to remove the pump, clean the intake mesh & change the Haldex fluid without taking the complete final drive unit or clutch assembly out of the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 05:14 AM   #52
petered
Rep

Haldex Clutch HOC Drain Bung

Photos of Haldex clutch unit with drain bung added.
Attached Images

Last edited by petered; 01-05-2022 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: Another photo added
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 10:52 PM   #53
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 f85

Quote:
Awesome job, ill be doing the same with my wifes x1 this coming week, could you tell me where is the fill plug ? Is it behind the black plastic cover towards the front of the unit ? Thank you

PS would you think that it is possible to make that clearance with the diff assembly in place/without removing it from the vehicle? Thanks a lot for any info !
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 01:00 PM   #54
mkvitdi
Registered
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive28i

Has anyone had the Haldex fluid replacement done at a shop? How much did it cost you? I am interested in getting this done (60,000kms on my 2018 X1) but I don't want to DIY it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 11:08 AM   #55
BMWGus
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1

I know this thread started a while ago. I was wondering if anyone ever figured out a way to remove that little bit of aluminum that keeps the Haldex pump from coming out to be serviced/cleaned/replaced, without dropping the entire unit.

One way or another I am going to make my pump removeable for maintenance/cleaning without having to drop the entire Haldex unit. The worst case scenario I see, is cutting the existing pump out of the way (basically destroying it), then grinding out the aluminum rib, then installing a new pump (expensive). I have not gone under there to see if this is possible yet, just brainstorming for right now.

Anyone have a better idea? Would it be easier to drop the entire Haldex unit, remove the aluminum rib, then put it back? I don't like having to pay for a new pump, but it seems dropping the whole unit is a huge pain. My goal in the end is to be able to do routine maintenance to the pump and screen easily.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 01:35 AM   #56
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Nice work!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 01:42 AM   #57
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGus View Post
I know this thread started a while ago. I was wondering if anyone ever figured out a way to remove that little bit of aluminum that keeps the Haldex pump from coming out to be serviced/cleaned/replaced, without dropping the entire unit.

One way or another I am going to make my pump removeable for maintenance/cleaning without having to drop the entire Haldex unit. The worst case scenario I see, is cutting the existing pump out of the way (basically destroying it), then grinding out the aluminum rib, then installing a new pump (expensive). I have not gone under there to see if this is possible yet, just brainstorming for right now.

Anyone have a better idea? Would it be easier to drop the entire Haldex unit, remove the aluminum rib, then put it back? I don't like having to pay for a new pump, but it seems dropping the whole unit is a huge pain. My goal in the end is to be able to do routine maintenance to the pump and screen easily.
I’ve been meaning to try an oscillating tool. Not sure if the angles will work to get it all though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 09:49 AM   #58
BMWGus
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
I’ve been meaning to try an oscillating tool. Not sure if the angles will work to get it all though.
I thought the same thing. I'm going to try it, and a couple of other tools I think might fit. I'm just not sure there is enough room for a tool with the pump still in there. I will let everyone know.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 09:31 AM   #59
petered
Rep

Haldex Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGus View Post

I don't know if this would give you enough space around the pump but if you remove the hex screws holding the haldex clutch assembly and without removing the assembly rotate it. It might just give a bit better access to removing the offending rib. The haldex assembly is sealed with an O ring so should not leak. Removing the hex screws may let the fluid out, you'll have to try it to find out!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 09:06 AM   #60
Carlman3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1, 2009 328i

Would it not be possible to cut one of the bolts after loosening? Then you could rotate it down.
Anyway, thanks to everyone for the tips.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 08:24 AM   #61
kolosovsky
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Hey guys!

Do you maybe know what is that hole for?
Bought the used X1 F48 and previous owner stated that changed the oil in rear diff. And some oil released from this hole. Also oil can be released from this hole if you use a thin screwdriver or niddle and push there.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 11:22 AM   #62
petered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlman3 View Post
Would it not be possible to cut one of the bolts after loosening? Then you could rotate it down.
Anyway, thanks to everyone for the tips.
Don't think cutting one of the pump bolts would help, it's the rib stopping the unit withdrawing from it's housing. I don't think access to the bolts is a problem, it's that you can't remove the pump even with both screws removed because of the rib.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2023, 01:34 PM   #63
Carlman3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1, 2009 328i

Got it. I forgot it can't be rotated... man, they really wanted this to not be serviced...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 12:45 PM   #64
petered
Rep

Have you looked at removing the Haldex clutch plate housing bolts to see if this helps?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 12:54 PM   #65
liamh
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 M-sport X-drive

I've recently got a F48 X1 and was reading this thread as I have had a Haldex pump fail on a previous car due to lack of maintenance.
Apart from the problem of getting the pump off, I was wondering how to get the Haldex system to relearn the pump characteristics?
I believe that this needs to be done when replacing the pump or changing the oil and cleaning the filter.
There is plenty of info on this for VAG vehicles but nothing for BMW.
BimmerCode and BimmerLink don't appear to cover this.
Anyone know what's needed to do this?

Thanks
Liam
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 01:04 PM   #66
mDrive1
Rep
Drives: X1

You have to use ISTA to calibrate the pump. It is very straight forward there.
Appreciate 0