BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) touch up paint advice

11-24-2021, 03:10 PM   #1
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48

Hey guys, any advice on the above? I know there is a touch up paint from bmw but it quite pricey. Anyone used a different bramd with perfect match?
I hit a fallen wood from a car in front. Luckily its just a small hole on the very bottom of the front bumper and not my bonnet or windshield.
Will need to get some filler too, can advice on that guys?
Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 03:36 PM   #2
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

How large is that hole (e.g.,size of a eraser tip on a pencil, dime, quarter)?

You may need to reinforce the back with a bumper repair kit, especially since there are cracks extending out of the hole. Patching the back would greatly reduce the chance of those cracks growing larger. Afterwards, apply filler and glazing putty over the front. Then, wet sand smooth with medium to fine grit sandpaper. Bondo/filler alone may be enough.

For painting, touching up with a brush and liquid paint may be possible without it being glaringly obvious unless you're up close. But, a cleaner fix would be via spray can - primer > color > clear.

Using a bumper repair kit, filler, spray painting, etc. will be several hours of work, but just giving my thoughts on how I would approach this problem. If there was no penetration through the plastic, I probably just go the touch up paint only route.

For X1, I've only used the small BMW touch up kit, which is a very good color match. It also comes with both the base color and clear coat. I'm not aware of any good non-OEM paint options for UK.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 12:20 AM   #3
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinco000 View Post
Hey guys, any advice on the above? I know there is a touch up paint from bmw but it quite pricey. Anyone used a different bramd with perfect match?
I hit a fallen wood from a car in front. Luckily its just a small hole on the very bottom of the front bumper and not my bonnet or windshield.
Will need to get some filler too, can advice on that guys?
Thanks
I agree with what skyline said.

But I would add if you have a heat gun you can gently and I mean very slowly warm the area up and if you have access behind the bumper maybe massage the hole out a bit using some kind of tool or your hand with a glove. PDR tools would be ideal here.

But like skyline said there does seem to be a crack and that might run a bit over time so you might need a repair kit with a patch. You can also use a plastic welder but that might be overkill for just this one crack but it would definitely hold it together well.

I had seen the bmw color matched touch up kits for like 40 or 50$ on eBay (color and clear coat) but I've never been a fan of the nail polish painting style, the finish isn't as great and will usually require wet sanding anyway to smooth it out and blend the area, at which point you will end up using a lot more paint and clear coat.

There are some companies on eBay that sell color matched paint in rattle cans but I have never used to so I don't know how well they are matched, but you can always spray paint something and wait for it to dry and compare it.

Personally I would go with what skyline said. But I'd get a plastic welder just because they're fairly cheap and you never know when you might need one again. And I'd probably take a gamble on the rattle can paint and test to see as the finish would be better.

I know there are also companies that will fill a can with the paint of your choice so that might be something to look into
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 02:19 PM   #4
DorsetBimmer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X1 sDrive 20i M Sport

If you have details of the car registration (dashcam?), I would be inclined to try and claim off the driver's insurance company for the repair, if the wood was an insecure load.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 04:13 PM   #5
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorsetBimmer View Post
If you have details of the car registration (dashcam?), I would be inclined to try and claim off the driver's insurance company for the repair, if the wood was an insecure load.
unfortunately I dont have a dashcam and my only focus was the wood balancing on the road in front of me. But thanks for advice
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 05:17 PM   #6
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

hey guys, I went out of curiosity to realoem to see the damaged part of my front bumper.
Great news! It can be taken off, its hold onto only by a few clips. See pics below. I think the best will be to remove it and push out the dented area and apply some strung glue from the back. Then sand down the front and paint it. Managed to source genuine A83 touch up pai t for £4.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 10:06 AM   #7
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

pinco000, keep us posted on how you took that piece off. I'm curious if you're able to take it off without removing the entire front bumper.

Last edited by Skyline2.0; 12-02-2021 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 01:06 PM   #8
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline2.0 View Post
pinco000, keep us posted on how you took that piece off. I'm curious if you're able to take it off without removing the entire front bumper.
I will try on sunday if the paint arrives by then
Appreciate 0