BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos VW Golf R Fully Unveiled: 315HP, Drift Mode and a Manual

02-11-2022, 08:37 PM   #111
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
How do you disable the traction control faster than by using a physical button?

Time notwithstanding, you've got to take your eyes off the road more when using any kind of touch screen than, say, physical buttons which you can memorise very easily. Like blindly typing text messages on a Nokia 3210.

Customisable yes, it is, does it help your overall interaction with the vehicle, I don't think so. But this is not a VW-only problem anyway.

MMI aside, though, the fact that, 1. the fucking HVAC controls aren't back-lit, 2. I kept turning the steering wheel hearing on with my right hand, 3. there is an apparent cost-cutting mayhem in VW interiors, is enough for me to scratch my head and wonder where this all is going to end up one day.

It does drive great apparently (have driven a regular Golf) and I like the way it looks in GTI/R trim. You won't be disappointed. I wouldn't go ti the length of saying that Mk7 was bland. A Golf shall be "boring" to an extent, and shall not have any stupid mishaps on the inside.
You were hitting the steering wheel heater? Didn't know the regular Golf had capacitive buttons on the steering wheel; I thought only the GTIs and Rs? There's been a big debate about how this is happening on the MK8 FB chat. Nobody over there's having that happen. You have to literally apply pressure, like pressing a real button, to turn those things on. I was trying to mash it with my palm at the dealer... you have to either be do push-ups on the wheel to pull it off or drive with half of your palms on the spokes. A lot of people are thinking it's the fact that you can customize the heater to come on automatically at certain temps--an option that's on by default from the factory.

Also, there's this thing that people keep talking about rampant cost cutting. Some reviewers make general complaints, others say they don't see what everyone's talking about. This happens every generation, especially when nobody's actually had any time in the freaking cars lol. MK6 owners regarding MK7s. MK7s regarding MK7.5s. And MK7.5s regarding MK8s... Until they get in one and realize it's not egregious; maybe some trade-offs here and there. Plenty of MK7-7.5 owners aren't noticing any huge difference in material quality with the 8 (see the guys on Throttle House, for instance).

I had a go at the materials and didn't find a problem. It's also built like a tank vault everywhere you press and squeeze. In isolation, the most common points actually worth mentioning are:
-Hood struts replaced with prop rods
-Back seat upper door cards are molded plastic
-A pillar material is slightly harder

But nobody mentions the additional standard features (LED lights, HUD, heat/cool seats, assists, etc.), the higher grade leather (objectively, categorically higher quality by label), or the improved running gear when viewing the entire car as a whole.

Otherwise, it's people mistaking the fake satin bling in the MK7 for higher quality materials, when the MK8 goes for a matte finish across the board. Hell, MK6 owners complained about the lack of felt lining in the glovebox on newer models. Like, big deal guys.

I think the non-backlit sliders are the biggest, most valid complaint. And the lack of a dedicated fan speed guide.

Otherwise, the buttons are fiiiine. The UI is fiiine. The car is great. I loved my time in it and can't wait for dealers to stop being pigs with their pricetags. I use CarPlay for everything and don't seem to have an issue multitasking with touchscreens, so I'm not concerned about the distraction. Maybe for people that don't use CarPlay/AA or have never used a touchscreen will crash and have accidents left and right. They should probably avoid this car to save everyone the risk.

Last edited by Year's_End; 02-11-2022 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      02-11-2022, 09:17 PM   #112
CDN-Driver
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 Porsche 718 Cayman

No HomeLink without an optional mirror is another goofy packaging choice.

Many people miss the main issues around moving buttons (that had proper placement and ergonomic design) into a touch screen.
The most important issue is situational awareness.
The Germans popularized the MMI / iDrive controller (for example) because they understood the science behind allowing for the operation of the system without taking your eyes off the road. Bean Counters now make the Engineering Decisions. People then defend this without understanding the science.
      02-12-2022, 08:40 PM   #113
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Click wheels are awesome if you have a tiny screen and stupidly slow interfaces. Touch screens are so much better and no car will have an MMI/iDrive interface In a few years.
Appreciate 1
Year's_End1112.00
      02-12-2022, 08:44 PM   #114
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Click wheels are awesome if you have a tiny screen and stupidly slow interfaces. Touch screens are so much better and no car will have an MMI/iDrive interface In a few years.
I gotta disagree with that, for the same reason I disagree with touch screens in airplanes. They are not the right interface for situations where you are moving and experiencing G-forces and diverting attention on a main task. There is typically no positive feedback and even if there is (like a phone that vibrates when you touch the screen), it's still not as good feedback as an actual button or knob. The older BMW I-drive was pretty darn good, quick...quick and accurate. That's what I want out of an interface like that. Touchscreens have been way way more problematic for me in vehicles than helpful. I appreciate the ability to declutter and streamline with some devices, like phones and tablets, but that doesn't make them perfect interfaces for every situation. Too many ergonomic issues for safety critical situations.
      02-12-2022, 08:46 PM   #115
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I gotta disagree with that, for the same reason I disagree with touch screens in airplanes. They are not the right interface for situations where you are moving and experiencing G-forces and diverting attention on a main task.
The steering wheel and gear lever are what you need in high g situations. If you're using the climate controls or changing songs, you're doing it wrong.
Appreciate 2
nicholasn261.00
Year's_End1112.00