BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion What the heck happened to BMW?

Today, 01:50 PM   #89
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthilly View Post
I support this. I think BMW still has an edge in outright handling and performance and numbers, it’s the feeling and feedback that’s gone, and gone to a huge degree. Basically any Mazda, Cadillac sedan, Porsche, Honda, Acura, etc, have better things like steering feedback and chassis rotation.

BMW is still the champ of dynamic capability, it’s the feeling that it elicits where they fall behind someone like Cadillac (Blackwing) or Porsche.
I agree to a point. Modern BMWs definitely have less steering feedback and there is greater noise cancellation.

That said, there isn't much you can do to electric steering racks. I run my tires at a lower pressure (2.2 bar front, and 2.0 rear) which definitely helps with the steering (and handling), but I am not sure what else one could do other than stiffen various bushings.

I've not driven a modern car with an electric rack that feels all that connected.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:53 PM   #90
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
/thread
I agree for the most part, aside from the Macan or Cayenne being any kind of 5 series competitor. SUVs are a different category and don't compete on dynamics due to fundamental issues in the chassis that can't be resolved.

BMW is definitely making some of the best vehicles it has ever made. I find most of the line up quite attractive, both in and out.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:17 PM   #91
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
I agree for the most part, aside from the Macan or Cayenne being any kind of 5 series competitor. SUVs are a different category and don't compete on dynamics due to fundamental issues in the chassis that can't be resolved.

BMW is definitely making some of the best vehicles it has ever made. I find most of the line up quite attractive, both in and out.
The macan and cayenne were being compared to the x3 and x5. Not the 5 series. I mentioned the panamera as a potential 5 series competitor but even that's a stretch.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
Neusser473.50
      Today, 02:39 PM   #92
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I thought my G82 was certainly a better all around car than all my F8x models. For me however, the slight boost in performance (had a model launch Comp, not Xdrive model which is where the generational performance boost is felt) for me didn’t make up for what I just couldn’t get past in the looks department. G82 was much better planted than even my current F82 CS, it was nice not having the wheels spin through the first two gears. The car also hid the weight penalty well and the S58 was of course fantastic.

Sort of why I’m so sour. I liked the way the car drove, but to me no matter how fast it was it could never outrun the ugly exterior. For me the interior was a tossup, I prefer the analog gauges and layout of the F8x, but the G8x carbon buckets are incredible. Once again subjective, and I can certainly understand why some like the newer cars.
Appreciate 2
wtwo317978.50
mirob3059.00
      Today, 03:33 PM   #93
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
How about the M3?! The F80 was in numerous comparison tests where, on driving dynamics, it finished last compared to the Giulia Quad, C63, and ATS in C&D. Motortrend said "The M3 was the most clinical, the most removed". Let's not discuss when Motortrend said they'd take a Camaro SS over an M4 any day of the week!
1) It didn't finish last.
2) I'm not talking about the F80. I wasn't a big fan of the F80. I'm talking about the G80.

Quote:
The G80 was in a comparison test with the Giulia Quad recently and it finished... wait for it.. "The M3 dominates most performance metrics, but the Giulia isn't far off and it has a closer connection to the driver". That's back to back gens that are being crushed for lack of involvement when that was previously BMW's calling card.
"crushed" While I can agree that dynamically the Alfa offers a more raw experience - it fails as a car beyond that. And that's why nobody buys them. By the way the CT4V-BW that I mentioned which arguably offers a better dynamic driving experience? It came in 2nd to the G80 in a motor trend comparison - since you like to reference magazine results so much.

Quote:
Plus, you're further proving my point when you reference Porsche. They don't make much that compares to bmw, but the e90 m3 was so good that it invoked the comparison.
Just because you see magazines making comparisons (they'll compare anything they think will get views) doesn't mean they're competitors. We've seen the G80 compared to the 911 as well (Hell Car Magazine UK did a comparison between the G80 and a 911 and more or less called it a draw). But the fact is Porsche doesn't make direct competitors to BMW outside of potentially their SUVs, and even then they're significantly more expensive.

Quote:
Once again, look at the M Engines from being borderline exotics with personality to now becoming twin turbo inline 6 and v8's.
So is that better or worse than the competition (Mercedes) replacing their V8s with overly complicated 4 bangers? Because BMW is certainly getting worse than its competition right?

Quote:
Enthusiasts are NOT the entire market, we're an insanely small subsection. If we were bigger, way more people would own things like XE's, Giulia's, G70's, etc, etc.
I'm not so sure... seems those people are still choosing to buy the m340i or the M3. You know what's even a smaller subsection than enthusiasts? People who think BMW has gotten worse.

Quote:
there's a reason every single auto journalist talks about BMW "losing feel" or "becoming more mass market" or "losing specialness". They don't say it about anyone else.
You sure about that? In a world where Mercedes is going 4 cylinder, you sure you haven't heard auto journalists talking about the C63 losing its specialness? You will only ever hear this with cars that have history and journalists yearn for the years with hydraulic steering and naturally aspirated motors. You don't hear it with the Giulia because there's only one generation of Giulia (which is being discontinued btw.... so much for specialness).

I agree that some of the rawness has been lost with all this refinement and luxury. BMW also seems to be saving some of the rawness for its limited models (M4 CSL, M5 CS, etc). But all cars are trending that way in general. I do wish my M3 had a bit more rawness to it. The chassis is superb, the steering is actually pretty good (for a modern BMW), it's got tons of power, and it's actually one of the lightest cars in its class (the RS5 and the C63 are significantly heavier). I've actually replaced some of the rubber bushings with stiffer bushings to get a more direct mechanical feel. I'm in the process of replacing the transmission carrier bushing with a stiffer one as well to get crisper shifting with a more gated feel. So I understand the want for that rawness. But to say that BMW is getting worse while its competitors are getting better is just a ridiculous statement.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:38 PM   #94
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I thought my G82 was certainly a better all around car than all my F8x models. For me however, the slight boost in performance (had a model launch Comp, not Xdrive model which is where the generational performance boost is felt) for me didn’t make up for what I just couldn’t get past in the looks department. G82 was much better planted than even my current F82 CS, it was nice not having the wheels spin through the first two gears. The car also hid the weight penalty well and the S58 was of course fantastic.

Sort of why I’m so sour. I liked the way the car drove, but to me no matter how fast it was it could never outrun the ugly exterior. For me the interior was a tossup, I prefer the analog gauges and layout of the F8x, but the G8x carbon buckets are incredible. Once again subjective, and I can certainly understand why some like the newer cars.
And I understand the argument regarding looks. That's purely a personal feeling and I think it's reasonable - if you can't stand the way it looks, you're probably gonna have a hard time accepting it.

For me, it's obviously objectively an excellent car, and I happen to like the looks - after a few mods - stock I'm not a fan of it, the stance is atrocious and accentuates the grill in all the wrong ways.... but once you fix the stance, get an aftermarket grill and some wheels, I think it looks insanely good and has tons of road presence. Although some people might call that putting lipstick on a pig

Appreciate 2
mirob3059.00
NickyC17517.00
      Today, 04:01 PM   #95
scotthilly
scotthilly
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i 6MT

@ Mirob & wtwo3 -

1) It finished last in dynamics by far. 21/25 for fun to drive while others got 23 and 25, and 49 out of 60 on dynamics while others got 51, 55, and 55.
2) G80 is more competent than F80 and receiving better praise, but didn't solve any of the disconnected feeling IMO.
3) That Car Magazine UK rewiew, along with the Motortrend one, don't cite much about the specifics of the cars against eachother. They mention the Cadillac, or Alfa, had more charisma and were fun but there's not much direct feedback which makes it tough to judge. I also rate them and Motortrend as more of the casual drivers while C&D, EVO, and Road&Track are higher quality.
And to me, it still doesn't matter if bmw is getting worse or competitors are better. They simply don't have the uniqueness and prowess that they have previously, and that comes down to the feedback they provide. Look at this quote from EVO in the giulia vs m3 comparison:

"So that’s all very neat then. Except that this is evo, so… ‘From a professional road tester’s perspective the BMW trumps the Alfa, but as an enthusiast I know that in my heart I love the Giulia,’ says Dickie, glancing fondly at the Giulia, streaked in unseasonal road salt. Jordan calls the big red one ‘joyful’ despite giving the nod to the M3 overall ‘by a hair’.

The appeal of the M3 grows on you, and will probably continue to do so over time, but having the Quadrifoglio in your life is to possess something that feels truly exotic, that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside every time you see and hear it, that brings the task of driving for fun truly alive. You’ll always look for the long, interesting way home in the Alfa, in a way you only occasionally would in the others. That’s not just the hallmark of a great car, it’s the stuff of an evo legend.

Once again, I stand by my statement. I never said BMW was bad. I never said they didn't make objectively fantastic cars. Could your G80 absolutely cook an E90 M3? Could an M340i absolutely beat down on a 335i? Could an XM lap faster than a Cayenne S? Yes, Yes, and Yes. It is not about numbers and speed and road tests where I'm criticizing BMW, it's in feedback. And if you don't think so, you should probably spend more time in an E chassis platform

I said the below to start the thread, and I maintain it despite your efforts to show how M3's have won comparison tests or competitors are bad etc etc:

"OP is right. BMW is still a good manufacturer but not at all special like they once were - that specialness was from the feeling, not from numbers."

Last edited by scotthilly; Today at 04:02 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:03 PM   #96
scotthilly
scotthilly
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
I agree to a point. Modern BMWs definitely have less steering feedback and there is greater noise cancellation.

That said, there isn't much you can do to electric steering racks. I run my tires at a lower pressure (2.2 bar front, and 2.0 rear) which definitely helps with the steering (and handling), but I am not sure what else one could do other than stiffen various bushings.

I've not driven a modern car with an electric rack that feels all that connected.
My mom has a 2018 X1 that unironically has the best steering of any bmw I've experienced. Cadillac's are good. Alfa Romeo's are my favorite. My dad had a Stelvio and it's my favorite EPAS steering today.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:31 PM   #97
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
that specialness was from the feeling, not from numbers."
This is what I agree with. My point is that to say BMW is getting worse while competitors are getting better is a ridiculous statement to make.

You still can have specialness in BMW - I find my G80 to absolutely be special and gives me joy every time I take it out. Fun factor is there 10/10. The ability to row my own gears, paired with a twin turbo S58 which builds power progressively and with the satisfaction similar to a naturally aspirated motor, and steering/handling which inspires me to want to take corners aggressively. In fact I just picked up my daughter from school and took the M3 out and it was an absolute delight.

I also previously owned an m340i and that was more consistent with what you're describing - it's fast but not necessarily "fun". But then again, nothing else in the same class as the m340i is any more fun.

Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:39 PM   #98
scotthilly
scotthilly
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
This is what I agree with. My point is that to say BMW is getting worse while competitors are getting better is a ridiculous statement to make.

You still can have specialness in BMW - I find my G80 to absolutely be special and gives me joy every time I take it out. Fun factor is there 10/10. The ability to row my own gears, paired with a twin turbo S58 which builds power progressively and with the satisfaction similar to a naturally aspirated motor, and steering/handling which inspires me to want to take corners aggressively. In fact I just picked up my daughter from school and took the M3 out and it was an absolute delight.

I also previously owned an m340i and that was more consistent with what you're describing - it's fast but not necessarily "fun". But then again, nothing else in the same class as the m340i is any more fun.

Fair enough man, enjoyed the banter! I will say I do really respect that bmw puts a stick in the g80. And despite some of my complaints - I'm someone who wants a manual sedan from within the last 10 years. My only options are the M3, and the Blackwing twins. So while I laud competitors like Alfa, they aren't going the extra mile.

I have a friend with a 330i thp msport, which, aside from the engine, is identical to an m340i. It is nowhere near as satisfying as honestly even the F chassis cars. I have some, but not tons of time in a G80 though I actually did enjoy the F80 I drove a lot.

I think, and I'm curious how you feel, that where BMW suffered the most is in the basic cars. That c&d test where a 430i xdrive vs a stinger and a5 and the 4 series got last... brutal. I love this article so much - https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-65-1-roa0813/ - and perfectly encapsulated my thoughts. I highly reccomend this video on youtube too (Zygrene, the creator, is awesome) -

You used to have a base 325i or 330i and it'd be still be a good sport sedan. I'm now in the place where I choose Hyundai products (g70) or base ct4's on a 330i.. and it makes me a bit depressed. And that's where my frustration lies too... okay, the g80 is good, and it's 90k. Normal-ish people can afford a 3 series, but you've got to really be doing well to make an M3. And that's sad.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:43 PM   #99
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
And I understand the argument regarding looks. That's purely a personal feeling and I think it's reasonable - if you can't stand the way it looks, you're probably gonna have a hard time accepting it.

For me, it's obviously objectively an excellent car, and I happen to like the looks - after a few mods - stock I'm not a fan of it, the stance is atrocious and accentuates the grill in all the wrong ways.... but once you fix the stance, get an aftermarket grill and some wheels, I think it looks insanely good and has tons of road presence. Although some people might call that putting lipstick on a pig
Agreed! Hope you enjoy your beast in good health for years to come!
Appreciate 1
mirob3059.00
      Today, 04:54 PM   #100
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post

That's fair. The looks aren't everyone's cup of tea, understandably.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17517.00
      Today, 04:58 PM   #101
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My mom has a 2018 X1 that unironically has the best steering of any bmw I've experienced. Cadillac's are good. Alfa Romeo's are my favorite. My dad had a Stelvio and it's my favorite EPAS steering today.
It's still electric, even if you like it. Electric steering will never feel like hydraulic, as the technologies involved prohibit it.

I actually don't mind the steering in my G31, generally speaking--with one condition applied: with proper tire pressure, there is decent feel for an e-rack, and it's weighty even in comfort.

At sticker pressures it feels overly quick and nearly devoid of any road feedback. That said, the pressures they recommend are needed to meet fleet emissions goals.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:01 PM   #102
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Normal-ish people can afford a 3 series, but you've got to really be doing well to make an M3. And that's sad.
Yes, M car pricing is a joke these days. Even my 540 stickered for over EUR 90k.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17517.00
      Today, 05:24 PM   #103
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
That's fair. The looks aren't everyone's cup of tea, understandably.
Yessir! In all honestly as well, I’m sort of keeping an eye on the new M4 CS. Riviera Blue is monumental, and I really like the new shark fin headlights and laser tails. I think they go a ways to fixing some issues, so we shall see. I was so impressed by the upgrades on the F82 CS, I need to keep an open mind for the new model.

I hope you enjoy your car!
Appreciate 0