BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Why is there so many S5 lovers over here?

12-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #67
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Do you have access to any pics of the S5 in Quartz Silver? I built it on the site and it looks good. A real pic would be nice.
Hope this helps, I found this on AudiWorld, it's all the colours you get the A5 and S5 in (real photos).

http://forums.audiworld.com/a5/msgs/13957.phtml
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 10:38 AM   #68
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmister View Post
I saw a video, don't remember if it's on google or youtube, or a audi S5 vs bmw 335i e92. The 335i, the fact that it had less hp and only a rear wheel drive, beat the Audi s5 on the track.
Get real, 0.06s is hardly the 335i beating the S5 on the track. That small of a gap meant the victory could have went either way, best to say the two cars are equal on the track as long is it's got short straights as with something like the Ring the 335i will get beaten.

Quote:
The 335i, I believe is a more oval all better car. It's a great looking car. GREAT torqe. Light, and just handles EXCELLENT. I believe the 335i is a well built car that has dominated many stronger cars. 335i has power to back up, and it doesn't shrivle down.
The 335i is a great car and based on price it is better overall but only if price is your biggest concern.

Quote:
The Audi S5, i must admit is a very good looking car. I haven't had the opportunity to sit in one, but just look at the cars online and around town. They are really good looking, VERY SEXY. But the bmw sport cars, will, i believe, always be that bad boy car. You could have a elegant s5. Powerfull S5, 4 wheel drive S5, LED S5... But in the end, there's always that bmw bad boy that will shit on you on the track or locar street race.
This explains why you are not bowled over by the S5, it really is a very impressive car and it drives with silky smooth controls, sure the M3 has better feel and the 335i to a lesser extent but in normal driving without trackdays playing a major role in the car's life the S5 is the more polish car to own.

Quote:
when u do the math, the bmw is a better buy. You get great over all performance, and to top it off you get 50,000 miles of maintanace service. Oil change, brakes, etc... That alone i think is great.

I'm not putting down the S5. its a great car. But for me, bmw 335i because it feels like a bad ass car, and i think it suites me. if i were to see a S5 next to me... I would think, nice... But when the light turns green... i'm still in my bimmer.
I think it's the differences in overall package that you get in the US compared to else where, it looks like BMW are way more competitive price and service wise than Audi. Over here there isn't this differences between the two brands and also price wise the 335i M/Sport as only £3k compared to the S5. That is maybe why I find it hard to understand why you are rating the S5 over priced and the 335i the better car.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #69
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Hope this helps, I found this on AudiWorld, it's all the colours you get the A5 and S5 in (real photos).

http://forums.audiworld.com/a5/msgs/13957.phtml
Thanks. I don't think any other color for me.....Phantom!
Attached Images

12-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #70
Greeney
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez E90 M3

Quartz Grey is hot man... My favorite is Meteor Grey though, and now that I have to order the car thats what im going to get.
      12-01-2007, 12:11 PM   #71
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Meteor grey ftw
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #72
TahoeOG
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Get real, 0.06s is hardly the 335i beating the S5 on the track. That small of a gap meant the victory could have went either way, best to say the two cars are equal on the track as long is it's got short straights as with something like the Ring the 335i will get beaten
I mean nobody really wants to hear excuses. No need to say 335i won by .6 seconds... .6 could mean nothing, but at the speed they are going it means something... And .6 seconds could mean nothing, but in the end the one who crossed the finish like first was in "fact" the 335i. <---- Not Xi(all wheel drive)like the audi.

Quote:
The 335i is a great car and based on price it is better overall but only if price is your biggest concern.
There's always going to be better more expensive cars. Not speaking about budget (since budget is not the topic)why not get a ferrari or a Lamborghini, or Bentley, or maserati, or...
In the end best over all car in terms of "budget", power, looks, safety, warranty. When i got my 335i e92, i loved the looks and feel of the 335i. But sometimes people forget that our cars are NOT the best in the world. their will always be a>b>c>d>e>f>blah blah blah car.

Quote:
...the S5 is the more polish car to own.
It probably is. I don't own a S5. I see from your avatar, you own a S5. That is a great car. Truth of the matter I own a 335i so i'm pretty sure you will defend yours car's model and brand and i will defend mine so this topic will most likely not end.

Quote:
I think it's the differences in overall package that you get in the US compared to else where, it looks like BMW are way more competitive price and service wise than Audi. Over here there isn't this differences between the two brands and also price wise the 335i M/Sport as only £3k compared to the S5. That is maybe why I find it hard to understand why you are rating the S5 over priced and the 335i the better car.
S5 is on paper a better car. 4.2 L, 354 hp @ 6800 rpm, 325 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm, Sexy interior,AWD etc. Numbers that the bmw 335i can't really compete with... But it did anyway.

These responses were my 2 cents. I'm in no way trying to argue or put down anyone, or ideas. This is just my thought. I'm in a bimmer forum. On a audi forum they would probably think differently. Audi is a great car there is, in my mind, no doubt about that. Either way i chose a 335i for my reasons.

So why are there so many S5 lovers here?... Tell you the truth i never really notices a lot of S5 lovers. Maybe i wasn't paying attention. Overall when there is a nice car, haters will be haters and the rest will state their real opinion. In most case people think the S5 is sexy and fast. in others people think the exterior look like something from out of space(http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...13&postcount=2). I think they are sexy and fast. Maybe there is a lot of "lovers of S5" out there because it is in deed a nice car.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #73
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
In it's current form the S5 is only slightly better than the 335i in my opinion, not enough to warrant the price difference you have in the States unless it's what you really want it.

But when such things as Sport-diff in added to the Quattro system I reckon things will get a little bit easier to argue for having the S5 over the 335i and this is from a purely handling point of view. From my understanding it will allow the driver to chose how he wants his car to handle and this includes making the tail a lot more mobile (steering from the throttle), something we all like about the BMW cars and the M cars especially as they are the ones with M-diff.

With either one you can't really go wrong with.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 03:50 PM   #74
TahoeOG
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
With either one you can't really go wrong with.
Good Call!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 09:19 AM   #75
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Upon further inspection of the S5.
(+)'s No lemon peel. Spare tire. Dipstick (I thought I saw one). Alarm. Split folding rear seat.
(-)'s Tilt only sunroof . MPG.
I built out one that I like. $750 premium paint. $850 (I think) Bang Olufsen.
$52,600. I do not like all the Nav techno stuff so this keeps this car very in range of being worth it to me. I have found a few Phantom black cars for sale but none with the red or silver leather. All have black and I want a different look. The silver alcantara with black looks nice but looks like it would stain very easily. Very porous looking.
      12-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #76
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Upon further inspection of the S5.
(+)'s No lemon peel. Spare tire. Dipstick (I thought I saw one). Alarm. Split folding rear seat.
(-)'s Tilt only sunroof . MPG.
I built out one that I like. $750 premium paint. $850 (I think) Bang Olufsen.
$52,600. I do not like all the Nav techno stuff so this keeps this car very in range of being worth it to me. I have found a few Phantom black cars for sale but none with the red or silver leather. All have black and I want a different look. The silver alcantara with black looks nice but looks like it would stain very easily. Very porous looking.
I wouldn't want to bring that all myself as it would sound like I was running down BMWs again which I am not. But the BMWs I have seen all seem to have this 'Orange peel finish' in the paint work, is this normal as I haven't ever noticed it in any Audi I have owned and I checked my S5 and it too is clear of it.

Any ideas as to why this is a problem on BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 02:15 PM   #77
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
I wouldn't want to bring that all myself as it would sound like I was running down BMWs again which I am not. But the BMWs I have seen all seem to have this 'Orange peel finish' in the paint work, is this normal as I haven't ever noticed it in any Audi I have owned and I checked my S5 and it too is clear of it.

Any ideas as to why this is a problem on BMWs.
All the manufacturers have this prob. We should get Picus to comment, he had a good explanation and judgement per maker.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 03:04 PM   #78
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
All the manufacturers have this prob. We should get Picus to comment, he had a good explanation and judgement per maker.
They do? I am a stickler for detailing my cars. The 335 is the only one of the last 5 or so that I have had with noticeable peel. My 98 M3 did not nor my 87 528.
I would also hope the Audi's paint does not chip from the smallest of debris, windshield too for that matter. It is speckled.
      12-03-2007, 03:37 PM   #79
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They do? I am a stickler for detailing my cars. The 335 is the only one of the last 5 or so that I have had with noticeable peel. My 98 M3 did not nor my 87 528.
I would also hope the Audi's paint does not chip from the smallest of debris, windshield too for that matter. It is speckled.
I wonder is it more a problem with non-metallic paints as the M3 I saw was plain Black and all my Audis have been metallic. I also noticed on the Autocar M3 video that the bloke Harris also commented in it and his car is White, again another plain colour car.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 09:05 PM   #80
Greeney
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wonder is it more a problem with non-metallic paints as the M3 I saw was plain Black and all my Audis have been metallic. I also noticed on the Autocar M3 video that the bloke Harris also commented in it and his car is White, again another plain colour car.
My graphite 330 has pretty intense orange peal...
      12-03-2007, 11:44 PM   #81
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

saw the meteor gray at the dealership. almost tempted to get an equity loan out for one...lol

12-04-2007, 08:17 AM   #82
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Attached Images

Last edited by gonzo; 12-04-2007 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 10:09 AM   #83
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Ahh, the RS5.

Now there is a car to re-convert me back from the dark side that is the M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 09:49 AM   #84
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Now we are getting some where.
Attached Images

12-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #85
Greeney
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Now we are getting some where.
Its sick with a drop isn't it!
      12-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #86
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Do you have access to any pics of the S5 in Quartz Silver? I built it on the site and it looks good. A real pic would be nice.

12-10-2007, 10:53 AM   #87
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Oops. I didnt see that Footie replied with the colour gallery from audiworld Anyway I think the S5 has beautiful paints to choose from. I love Sprint blue, Meteor Grey & Quartz Grey
      12-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #88
kyee
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i sedan

I test drove the S5 last week with a co-worker. He values my input when it comes to car decisions. I've had my 335i sedan for almost a year now. I love my 335, but after driving that S5, I would've definitely bought that car instead of the one I'm in now.

Yes, I know the 335 is more mod-friendly, etc. However, Audi seems to have just gotten everything "right" with this car. Just starting it up, and listening to that quad V8, quad exhaust rumble, is enough to get your blood flowing.

There was a light rain the day of the test drive, and the Quattro system kept us firmly planted on the ground. The car is one of the best looking coupes on the road. The interior is very nice, and while I didn't have time to really test out the navigation system, I can't imagine how it could possibly be any worse than the BMW one. That's the worst nav system I've ever used.

If I were choosing today, I would pick the S5. And this is coming from someone who still loves their 335i.

And yes, my co-worker went back the next day and bought the S5.
Appreciate 0