BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Using bimmercode for the first time today...

01-17-2021, 04:57 AM   #1
Glen e
Retired from BMWNA
Rep
Drives: ‘21 X2 m35i

Using bimmercode for the first time today...

And I’m a little nervous… Please somebody reassure me that a 2021 X2 is no problem with using BimmerCode. At this point in time all I want to do is deactivate the start/stop. I have the ethernet cable and understand I leave the car running as I use the app. I’m going to use my iPad to do it.

Any other words of wisdom before I jump into this this afternoon?

I can’t afford to brick my car , I have a huge vacation trip planned with family for this coming Wednesday…

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 05:25 AM   #2
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
And I’m a little nervous…
I can’t afford to brick my car , I have a huge vacation trip planned with family for this coming Wednesday…

Thanks in advance
Then wait until after your vacation and play with it. During the vacation just deactivate it on each trip by using the button adjacent to the start button.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 1
caiken12.50
      01-17-2021, 05:26 AM   #3
Glen e
Retired from BMWNA
Rep

Yeah, that’s the way I’m leaning After thinking about it some more. Although I read that it’s almost bulletproof but still ......Murphy’s Law… i’ll just stay in sport mode for the trip.

Last edited by Glen e; 01-17-2021 at 05:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 07:23 AM   #4
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39 X2 M35i

there'll be no problem using bimmercode with the x2. that said, if you're nervous, use it after the trip, but you won't brick the car unless you start playing around with the developer/expert coding which isn't advised unless you really know what you're doing and the app will warn you if you stray into that section accidentally. things like deactivating start/stop or activating the folding mirrors when you lock/unlock the car or displaying a new logo upon startup aren't going to brick the car.
      01-17-2021, 07:29 AM   #5
Glen e
Retired from BMWNA
Rep

Thanks that was my thinking too because it’s just messing with the body modules and Not the ECU, correct?....I still will wait until I get back…
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 07:43 AM   #6
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Bimmercode messes with every module in the system Auto start/stop is in the Body controller though, yes.

I definitely think it's best to drive the car as-delivered for a while, if only to get a feel for what you might want to tweak. And, there are so many zillion ways to tweak it, you'll want to think through what you want to do. I ended up only doing a few things. Have a spreadsheet here somewhere, if you're interested.

BTW the "ECU" is called the DME in these cars.
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2021, 09:20 AM   #7
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

word
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 09:31 AM   #8
Glen e
Retired from BMWNA
Rep

Lol, yeah, i’ve got a spreadsheet going here too. I’ve been through the possibilities ,up and down & sideways, several times ,while I waited for this car to be built, and really it comes down to about five things I want to do and nothing else ...I’ve thought about doing the rear tail lights as brake lights etc. etc., but really I only have these specific needs:

Active sound design off
Auto start stop off
Display idrive system m logo
Mirrors fold with convien closing
Seatbelt reminder after start not active
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 10:14 AM   #9
TheBigP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Glen, those are pretty much my things too, if I remember correctly. Good choices, methinks (haha). I did mine about a year ago and have had zero issues since. I was nervous as well, even though I've used Cobb's Accessport on various Subis over the years and didn't have problems there either. Of course, Cobb supplied the module, so doing it on your own stuff seemed a little weird (right device, proper adapter, etc.). I happen to think a road trip is exactly why you DO want to get 'er done right now. Go enjoy yourself; that's what cars are for. Things can go wrong on family trips and it's part of the process. Your attitude determines whether others think it was a disaster or an adventure. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 11:51 AM   #10
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

i think those are all of the changes that i made using bimmercode as well sans the seatbelt reminder as that doesn't really bug me.

i think i also coded the fog lights to illuminate when the headlights do as well as the taillights to do something or another. i'd have to look and see, but i remember doing something with the taillights.
      01-17-2021, 01:57 PM   #11
rounderman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X2 M35

Garage List
2019 BMW X2 M35  [9.50]
I would wait also think about a Bluetooth OBDII connector they are inexpensive and have other uses. Bimmer code will tell you which ones are compatible with their software and car. i actually took over my wife's old iPhone (I am an android guy) to use because the IOS app is/was better.

On the coding front I did ASS memory (remembers if you turned start/stop off) I did active sound and when my car got flashed at the dealer second time I left it on, rear lights on with DRLs, got rid of the splash screen nanny about using the iDrive in motion, and remembers if I left it in sport which I only drive in anyway.

I will add wait until after the trip just in case, also don't be freaked out when you code the car you get a bunch of error messages, just restart and they clear. this is a thread out her about coding the X2 if yo search or look for my posts I did a couple in there as I obsessed

great looking car, enjoy

Last edited by rounderman; 01-18-2021 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 1
Rich80764.50
      01-18-2021, 12:40 AM   #12
trnguyen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

I have an 2019, but I got the ECU updated in December and Bimmercode worked correctly after, even in Expert mode. I have pretty much the same list and 2 other things that I really want:

If you want to leave the car running and lock it, you might want to disable the horn when you lock the car. It's kind of annoying and draw attention for nothing.

Also, I don't know if it's the same for the US version. Mine in Canada has the lights on automatically, even if the switch is at the position "0". I want to be able to turn it off like when I wait for my kid at school around 4pm in the winter. This one is in Expert mode, but easy to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 09:24 AM   #13
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

if he's just beginning and worried about bricking the car, which is admittedly difficult to do, but nonetheless, he probably shouldn't start off by toying around in expert mode.
      01-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #14
Glen e
Retired from BMWNA
Rep

Correct....;In a past life I wrote code, I understand all the ins and outs of it, but I’m not interested in any feature that I have to use expert mode to make work. It’s just not a priority.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 09:54 AM   #15
trnguyen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy Jordi View Post
if he's just beginning and worried about bricking the car, which is admittedly difficult to do, but nonetheless, he probably shouldn't start off by toying around in expert mode.
Fully agree I was just giving the possibility and the implications of it. It's for each person to go with their needs and comfort zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Correct....;In a past life I wrote code, I understand all the ins and outs of it, but I’m not interested in any feature that I have to use expert mode to make work. It’s just not a priority.
I am from IT too, but still have many years to work before retirement.
You're right, Basic mode is more than enough for what we need.
I only used Expert for 3 things:
- Rear fog lights (used it maybe twice so far)
- Auto lights (not a must, but use it sometimes)
- Signal turn with 5 blinks in the iDrive menu (I ended up not using it).
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 09:56 AM   #16
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
I did it in a parking lot during my daughters guitar lesson the first time and it scared me shitless when all the errors came up on reset. They all clear but the first time is scary.
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2021, 10:27 AM   #17
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I believe one other thing you have going for you is that on the apple app it backs up the settings multiple times I believe? Vs on the android it only backs it up once at a time and only one file so it's in theory not as good.

Still.. I used the bluetooth dongle on the recommended list, kept the car running and just coded away on the easy mode. Not much to worry about since the car is running so no loss or dip in power. Oh, one interesting thing if you were using the phone is to turn off all data mode (but on the ipad I would assume you're not using one with a dedicated sim card). I did try to update JB4 software in the past and my wife called as it was doing it, and it failed to update. I tried again with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 11:04 AM   #18
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

I just spent an hour reviewing, coding, and backing up as well as backing up the backups with Bimmercode. Been 7 months from last validation and I did see some nifty updates that I don't recall from before. Like lightning up all lights on welcome.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 05:01 PM   #19
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
I did it in a parking lot during my daughters guitar lesson the first time and it scared me shitless when all the errors came up on reset. They all clear but the first time is scary.
What's worse is that many of the errors are logged as "permanent", which isn't truly permanent but it means you can't reset them. The car will do so, if the error remains clear for some number of drive cycles.

The good news is that the errors are generally because the modules reset after they're programmed, and of course during the reset they don't respond. This freaks out the other modules, who start barking like a pack of dogs because they can't find their friend(s). It'd be comical, if it weren't for the telemetry module, which promptly phones home to Regensburg to report.

Anyway, it's all harmless, if you don't go too deep into expert mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 05:03 AM   #20
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
Sport plus just shuts off dsc and puts trans in sport.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 07:14 AM   #21
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

But, what's "comfort +"?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 01:43 AM   #22
Glen e
Retired from BMWNA
Rep

OK, back from my vacation so I decided to dive in and try the coding thing tonight, the BMW dealership is 1 mile from my house so knowing software and I have never have gotten along, I drove down there and did it in their parking lot in case I fried something. Yeah I know that’s impossible, but color me paranoid.

It went perfect. I decided to take baby steps since it was my first time and just coded the start stop to remember last setting, and get rid of the seatbelt reminder.

But yeah you do kind of get that yecch in your stomach after it codes, when all the alarms tell you to take it to a dealership because all the modules are mad at you, but then they all go away on a restart like the above said.

I will say I got a lot of peace of mind using the ENET cable instead of a Bluetooth adapter. I set the iPad so everything was off: Bluetooth , Wi-Fi , set airplane mode, hooked up the cable and the pad saw the ethernet right away. I also left my phone at home so it wouldn’t interfere.

So tomorrow:

Display idrive system m logo
Audio 30 pct volume
Start amimation m
Unlock doors automatically on shutdown
Fold mirrors Automatically on lock

Last edited by Glen e; 01-28-2021 at 03:22 AM..
Appreciate 0