MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinymilad View Post
Photos
Thanks for pics. Do you have a pic of connector socket including pin layout. I suspect best approach would be to find a parking brake switch with auto hold button from higher series that has same connector layout.
Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00
      05-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #24
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

Is it actually working when pressing this button even with a pin ? Is a video possible ?
I have tried this great feature in both the x3 and X4 that I had for extensive test drives and really appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 04:49 PM   #25
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48

How about this, the button looks similar size

https://www.ebay.com/itm//283346019686?_ul=IN
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 07:38 PM   #26
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Quote:
Photos
Nice! But I don't think any other standard BMW part will have an exact fit. Will have to fabricate something ourselves.

Maybe something like this may work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/R-L-Buttons-Conductive-Rubber-Pad-Repair-Part-For-Nintendo-Switch-Pro-Controller/312343465122?hash=item48b91f0ca2

Of course will still need to find a nice looking hard button to press on the pad.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #27
tinymilad
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 i3 Rex

The connector layout. And yes. Auto hold works on my x1 when I press the button and also remembers last setting when restarting the car. No other switch I've found on eBay fits it because of the 3 legs layout the screw the twitch into the center console and hold it in place
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      05-17-2019, 12:25 PM   #28
tinymilad
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Need this layout to fit in center console with 3 screws.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      05-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #29
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The connector layout. And yes. Auto hold works on my x1 when I press the button and also remembers last setting when restarting the car. No other switch I've found on eBay fits it because of the 3 legs layout the screw the twitch into the center console and hold it in place
I don't understand why would BMW skip this if they have the hardware in place???
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 03:57 PM   #30
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 xDrive 20d

Sometimes it's very hard to understand BMW ...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 05:19 PM   #31
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for posting pics and for sharing your research on this, much appreciated. In your post you show the contacts on the circuit board for the auto-hold, there appear to be two contacts, one on left and one on the right. I notice you drilled into the cover plate and blanking plate on the right hand side. Please would you share your understanding, does the right hand contact engage auto-hold? And does the left hand contact disengage? Or if the right hand contact also disengages then What does left hand contact do? Or are they just a pair?
Many thanks again
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #32
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanJ View Post
Sadly it is not hard to understand. BMW deliberately withheld the feature from the X1 despite it being build into the electronics (remember same engine is shared in a number of BMW series). The probable reasons why the feature was withheld are;
- to ensure the X1 as a base model has less driver aid functions and therefore does not compete with X3, and/or
- it is a feature that can be added at a later date to give impression of technological advance in a model facelift/revamp, or possibly
- it may not be compatible across full X1 range (for example may only work with one type of auto-box), or may be technical reasons why they do not want this being used with X1 drivetrain/gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 05:40 PM   #33
tinymilad
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Both connectors are connected together is a series so they both seem to close the same circuit, looks like duplication. As you see there are too separate switches for park brake with one engaging and turning on the led and the other disengaging and turning off the led. Unlike that, seems like the auto hold activation/deactivation just happens when either bottom circuit is closed so not sure on the reason for duplication, once I realized that I didn't continue to make the second hole as it's not necessary to push both sides of the same switch for auto H
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      05-17-2019, 07:03 PM   #34
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanJ View Post
Sadly it is not hard to understand. BMW deliberately withheld the feature from the X1 despite it being build into the electronics (remember same engine is shared in a number of BMW series). The probable reasons why the feature was withheld are;
- to ensure the X1 as a base model has less driver aid functions and therefore does not compete with X3, and/or
- it is a feature that can be added at a later date to give impression of technological advance in a model facelift/revamp, or possibly
- it may not be compatible across full X1 range (for example may only work with one type of auto-box), or may be technical reasons why they do not want this being used with X1 drivetrain/gearbox.
Probably some issue with Aisin gearbox? Because other BMW's don't use this.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      05-18-2019, 01:51 AM   #35
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Both connectors are connected together is a series so they both seem to close the same circuit, looks like duplication. As you see there are too separate switches for park brake with one engaging and turning on the led and the other disengaging and turning off the led. Unlike that, seems like the auto hold activation/deactivation just happens when either bottom circuit is closed so not sure on the reason for duplication, once I realized that I didn't continue to make the second hole as it's not necessary to push both sides of the same switch for auto H
Thank you, it makes sense to have two contacts in series. It allows a spring loaded switch to have two contact points so switch engages more easily. I have managed to buy some used switches from F48 and other models, I will see what modifications work and which do not. At the moment I am hoping the button can be transplanted (will need some careful machining of the plastic) but will also look at making thin metal mounting plate which will act as an adaptor for screw/bracket layout differences. The latter will depend on the electrical connector, as they all appear 6 pin, I am hoping this is an easy fix but may need to make up a short adapter lead. If I find anything that works reliably I will post details and pics.
Thank you again.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 02:31 AM   #36
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Sorry tinymilad, yet another question. How long have you been using your auto hold adaptation and how well has it been working? Particularly keen to understand if there is any technically reason why BMW May have deliberately withheld the feature.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 07:22 AM   #37
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi555 View Post
Unlikely. Other cars with the same gearbox, such as Volvo, have auto hold.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #38
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi555 View Post
Unlikely. Other cars with the same gearbox, such as Volvo, have auto hold.
Probably BMW had to pull out auto hold last minute discovering some technical aspect? The same gearbox in other brands have been tuned differently.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #39
tinymilad
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I've used my auto H on the x1 since I got it , first mod after rear fog lights. I had it in my vw Tiguan and cannot live without it. No issues at all. Smoother than vw system. Over 2 months and > 2800 miles. No issues. Once activated it remains active.
Appreciate 2
MJE60678.00
nathanm4681.00
      05-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #40
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

Quote:
I've used my auto H on the x1 since I got it , first mod after rear fog lights. I had it in my vw Tiguan and cannot live without it. No issues at all. Smoother than vw system. Over 2 months and > 2800 miles. No issues. Once activated it remains active.
How much did it cost? Does it void the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 11:42 AM   #41
tinymilad
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

It did not cost anything. It is already there, just not readily included. I think it may have been omitted as a cost cutting measure or to differentiate between models, why would you upgrade if you got everything on a entry model? Also do alot of people use these futures? Maybe bmw did some sort of research and decided it is not a future a lot of people actually use or care about. Vw stoped offering auto H in the Tiguan , not even electronic p break in Jetta and Passat anymore
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 03:13 PM   #42
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 xDrive 20d

Quote:
I opened the electronic parking break switch and the switch to turn on the auto hold is there on the circuit board behind the e-brake, it even has the led light. It activates auto hold without the need for any coding, But no actual actuator button is there. The enclosure does not have a place for a button for activation of auto hold. I drilled a hole so I can activate the auto hold switch with a thin metal rod, but that is not the cleanest way to do this, buying switches on eBay to see if any of them can be retrofitted. I'll post photos tomorrow
Could you explain us how it is actually working the AutoH on the X1?
I've had this function on my previous car (Audi A6 C7) and I miss it so much, especially that I'm driving in town every day.
I'd like to activate it, but I really don't want to cause any problems / defects to the car.

Regarding your last post about possible "cost cutting" made by bmw, I wonder why then they incorporated most of the hardware and the software (these are the biggest costs) and they didn't add the last and the cheapest part - a plastic button?

Last edited by StefanJ; 05-18-2019 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 2
iceman7117.00
nathanm4681.00
      05-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #43
tinymilad
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

It works like any other Auto H . It's smooth. It feels natural and makes driving even easier
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 01:27 AM   #44
SDriver18i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 s18i 2019

Quote:
It works like any other Auto H . It's smooth. It feels natural and makes driving even easier
Could you make a video showing how to remove the panel and activate it? That would be really helpful.

I can see the Auto H logo on my dash, so I guess mine has it too.
Appreciate 1
nathanm4681.00