Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #89
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmehta211 View Post
I normally agree, but my accountant stated that by depreciating my M3 purchase, I am not able to write off as much money as I would on a lease.

I am in the same boat--whether to buy/lease a M3 or lease the M5. A purchase of the M5 would be dumb IMHO unless you plan to keep it for ten years.
I would find it really hard to believe that you could come up with 11k worth of tax credits in 3 years, but I a not an accountant.

also, unless you have your own business and want to claim the car as a business vehicle, this tax credit doesn't apply

to me, no brainer. no lease at the current terms
      03-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #90
moorfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I agree with most of this. I'm not a leaser, would likely finance the car. Just tempted by the idea of a LCI M5 and then maybe getting into a LCI M3 later on. I'm going to go drive one today to see how it feels...integral part of the decision making process
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #91
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3

You and only you know why you want either car! Do you want a great family car or a performer? If classy family car suits your needs, M5 it is. I drove one and it was HUGE!!! I can't consider that as an option. I agree that the build quality is very good, but so is a full leather M3/M4.
      03-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #92
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
I don't get why you must lease if you don't want the car long term.

The residuals are trash, which means that if you wanna keep the car for 3 years, its best to just buy and resell.

Does anyone actually think that a 70k M3 with 36k miles on it that is 3 years old is only going to sell for 38.5k (based on 12k/yr and 55% residual)? There are 2009 M3's selling for that right now and those are 6 years old and many have more miles.

If you buy it and sell it yourself after 3 years it will definitely be cheaper than leasing an m3 or an m5 imo.
That's why you lease and buyout then sell the car off on your own. If you get in an accident you just turn the keys in at the end of the lease whereas if you own and get in an accident you will lose lots of $$ on resale value.

The lease rates for the F8x are so crappy it actually makes more sense going w/BMW select. At least for me.
      03-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #93
Ducfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I go back and forth, sometimes several times a day. I have had both though I think it's hard to compare different generations. I think the biggest problem, or contributor to this dilemma is that there just isn't as much difference in any car any more. Hear me out.....cars in the past had to make more sacrifices to be one thing or the other. Either roomy, or sporty, stylish, or cheep but rarely two of the four. Nowadays the average minivan can break 7 0-60. Honestly, we don't use the performance these cars have. The sacrifices forced character that people could identify with....

Anyway as it stands this afternoon my deposit remains on M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #94
moorfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Sooo….I went on down and drove a loaded 2014 M5, competition package and exec/tech/b&o, and made my decision. It's not for me. But that doesn't in any way imply that it isn't a great car.

Pros: massive power and torque on hand, much better delivery than in my F10 Dinan stage 2 550i.
Feels like a tank. Solid, no chassis flex or noticeable body roll when driving.
The MDCT is massive good. Much better than Audi's DCT in the S/RS series cars.
Sizeable interior with great driving seat and adjustability, although seat ventilation still blows (not literally).
Quiet smooth ride in comfort, stiffer but not bone jarring in sport.
Steering feedback excellent, heavier than I though it would be.

Cons: feels a little too big for my comfort. Doesn't have the nimble feel that the F30 chassis has. On narrower roads feels to me to be right on the edge width-wise.
10.3 mpg during my 20 mile drive of some moderately aggressive and some mild driving. I realize it will probably get better, but still….
Must be in slowest shift speed in average city driving, because if it isn't it will hold onto gears much longer than I would like it to. Once in slowest shift mode drives quite civilly for around town and in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #95
mattkim85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

You have the P-car for the track and canyons.

M5 would be perfect for long trips with your family.

How many times do you think you will take the M3/4/5 over the P-car on canyon runs/track?
2018 F83 M4 MW
2020 F97 X3MC BSM
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #96
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
///M Performance schools cannot really be compared to an all out track day or even an HPDE. The cars barely go out for one full lap on a rather tight and short track and mostly in the hands of students that cannot fully exploit the potential of the car. This is a far cry from 20-30 minute sessions at full boil on a high speed track with top speeds in excess of 120mph.

That being said, I still think the F10 M5 brakes can do rather well with track pads at the minimum and better fluid. It is the same with the E9X M3...
IMO, not true....

Last June in Austin at COTA some pretty talented F10 M5 board members went to the launch of the M6GC and got some serious seat time in the M6CG and the M5 and I can tell you the brakes held up well, not as well as the CCB's but as well as my E90 M3 with track pads. As I have an F10 M5 I was fortunate to get about an hours seat time in an M5 as I was not really interested in the M6G. Yes the E90 is more fun to throw around, BUT 155mph on the back straight vs. 135 is intoxicating, also the DSC blinking at 115 as it shifts from 3rd to 4th is pretty amazing. The M5 is an AMAZING car for what it's is capable on the street and track? Heat soak was the issue not the brakes!!!

T-minus 7 days to the BMW trifecta at COTA and now I have a brembo BBK the E90 M3

p.s. - the same group has done multiple M Schools as well!

N-ring in July in the M4
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 09:14 PM   #97
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokke View Post
Quote:
///M Performance schools cannot really be compared to an all out track day or even an HPDE. The cars barely go out for one full lap on a rather tight and short track and mostly in the hands of students that cannot fully exploit the potential of the car. This is a far cry from 20-30 minute sessions at full boil on a high speed track with top speeds in excess of 120mph.

That being said, I still think the F10 M5 brakes can do rather well with track pads at the minimum and better fluid. It is the same with the E9X M3...
IMO, not true....
What portion of my post isn't true
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #98
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2CS+GTS Targa+RRS SVR

I have an m5 w/ comp pack and an e93 m3. And im supposedly going to have a Gt3 join the stable in may..keeping my fingers crossed.

It's a great complement to what you have. The M5 is a perfect daddy mobile/ family car. My only issue is I live in Washington, D.C. And we had a horrible cold and messy winter. I couldn't drive it much, too much power.

So if you live in the north east just make sure you have a winter car!

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 09:44 PM   #99
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee
I have an m5 w/ comp pack and an e93 m3. And im supposedly going to have a Gt3 join the stable in may..keeping my fingers crossed.

It's a great complement to what you have. The M5 is a perfect daddy mobile/ family car. My only issue is I live in Washington, D.C. And we had a horrible cold and messy winter. I couldn't drive it much, too much power.

So if you live in the north east just make sure you have a winter car!

Jeff
Better cross those fingers tight. My brother is waiting on a Nov build of the GT3 hopefully they can sort it out!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #100
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

Thanks for the solid advice, all. I'm going to test drive one tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I'll know after 5 minutes behind the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #101
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Quote:
What portion of my post isn't true
I stand corrected; my apologies!
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #102
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Well, crisis averted. The M5 is absolutely, positively not for me. I mentioned it would take me 5 minutes to know. It took closer to 30 seconds.

I really like the styling and look of the car. I would add a front lip and some spacers, and the car would look pretty awesome.

The interior is okay. Maybe I'm Audi and Porsche spoiled. I really dislike the silver trim in the M5. It just doesn't fit the car. I wouldn't want wood trim, and the Piano Black individual option doesn't get rid of all of the silver. Also, I hate sunroofs. I'm way to white. It's entirely too hot in Central FL to have one.

I really didn't mind the electric steering and the car seemed smaller than it actually is. I'm sure the competition package adjustments helped the handling quite a bit.

Here is what would drive me nuts. My friend, a self-proclaimed purest, gets all fired up about sound being pumped into the cabin on newer cars. I really like the Porsche sound symposer, but I'm now in agreement with my friend. The sound this car makes is really, really bad. I was shocked. All I could think about was the sound. It reminded me very much of a TDI VW Jetta. I knew it wouldn't sound great with a factory exhaust, but I don't think an intake and exhaust is going to make it close to acceptable. It was so bad, I would never be able to get over it.

I think the car is too big and there is too much HP for a Manual, but the DCT in this car is a no go for me. The paddles are plastic and feel very cheap. There is little to no rev matching like there is in my S4 or an E9X M3. I drove in Sport Plus modes, and it was still clear this car is designed for comfort.

The last thing I'll mention is about the power delivery. It mashes you into the seat but in a very numb way. I don't know how to explain it, but it just doesn't feel fast even while going fast. Maybe that's the point, but I'm out.

The last lesson I learned from the exercise is that I'm not going to be able to pre-order an F80 M3 without spending some time in one. If it is anything like this M5, I'm going to have to rethink my plans.

Last edited by Money2536; 03-15-2014 at 06:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #103
Oakleyguy
Resident Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Land Cruiser

Garage List
2014 Toyota URJ200  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
2005 Toyota UZJ100  [0.00]
Very informative. Thanks
European Delivery Journal & F8X Door Rattle Fix
Machine Shop Directory - www.mfgcenter.com
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #104
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
Well, crisis averted. The M5 is absolutely, positively not for me. I mentioned it would take me 5 minutes to know. It took closer to 30 seconds.

I really like the styling and look of the car. I would add a front lip and some spacers, and the car would look pretty awesome.

The interior is okay. Maybe I'm Audi and Porsche spoiled. I really dislike the silver trim in the M5. It just doesn't fit the car. I wouldn't want wood trim, and the Piano Black individual option doesn't get rid of all of the silver. Also, I hate sunroofs. I'm way to white. It's entirely too hot in Central FL to have one.

I really didn't mind the electric steering and the car seemed smaller than it actually is. I'm sure the competition package adjustments helped the handling quite a bit.

Here is what would drive me nuts. My friend, a self-proclaimed purest, gets all fired up about sound being pumped into the cabin on newer cars. I really like Porsche sound symposer, but I'm now in agreement with my friend. The sound this car makes is really, really bad. I was shocked. All I could think about was the sound. It reminded me very much of a TDI VW Jetta. I new it wouldn't sound great with a factory exhaust, but I don't think an intake and exhaust is going to make close to acceptable. It was so bad, I would never be able to get over it.

I think the car is too big and there is too much HP for a Manual, but the DCT in this car is a no go for me. The paddles are plastic and feel very cheap. There is little to no rev matching like there is in my S4 or and E9X M3. I drove in Sport Plus modes, and it was still clear this car is designed for comfort.

The last thing I'll mention is about the power delivery. It mashes you into the seat, but in a very numb way. I don't know how to explain it, but it just doesn't feel fast even while going fast. Maybe that's the point, but I'm out.

The last lesson I learned from the exercise is that I'm not going to be able to pre-order an F80 M3 without spending some time in one. If it is anything like this M5, I'm going to have to rethink my plans.
The F10 M5 has hydraulic steering not electric.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #105
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
The F10 M5 has hydraulic steering not electric.
"New hydraulic rack-and-pinion steering with the M-specific Servotronic function with A MORE DIRECT PROGRAMMING to improve agility during cornering."

No wonder I liked that part of the car so much. I seem to be the king of misinformation these days. My bad...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #106
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
"New hydraulic rack-and-pinion steering with the M-specific Servotronic function with A MORE DIRECT PROGRAMMING to improve agility during cornering."

No wonder I liked that part of the car so much. I seem to be the king of misinformation these days. My bad...
As someone who is going from an E92 M3 to an F10 M5 I enjoyed your take on the M5 even if we differ on its merits.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 12:35 AM   #107
NikB316
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition, F83 M4

I went from an e92 m3 to an f10 m5 after having my plans and money set on an M4.

It's the perfect daily driver for someone doing a lot of miles IMO. The comfort, style etc is A+. I have the competition package and feel the car handles extremely well. I got used to the size very quickly and I feel confident throwing her around like the M3. I really like the power delivery and the 7200rpm redline didn't bother me as much as I thought it would be coming from 8600 (tune).

The car is wayyyy too quiet stock even with the comp package. BMW needs to have their performance exhaust as the competition exhaust and do whatever else necessary. I'm getting custom built downpipes & connector pipe next week along with BMS Tune so I hope that does the trick. I want the car to be refined when cruising but open up nicely when getting on it.

Just couldn't pass up on the lease deals on the m5. $100 more than an m4 more or less.

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #108
JS919
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by //M sa View Post
The interior of the new M3 is really nice and having been in both cars the M3 seems a small notch higher. The engine is amazing in M5, M3 is faster :-)

Are you being serious? As for the interior, you can call it subjective all you want, but you got to be f**king kidding me!
Where do you get the M3 is faster? I supposed you've put them both through an instrumented test? 0-60 MPH I'd guess the M3 is faster, over 60 I'm not too sure that an M3 would hang with the M5. The M5 is an absolute rocket at high speed. You can't use BMW's claimed 0-60 times for reference, they've been proven inaccurate and inconsistent.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 07:58 PM   #109
GotEM4
General
Rep
Drives: EM4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridonculous View Post
If you already had a 135i (N54, modded) and wanted a 4 door M, would you rather go for the new M3 or the M5?
M3 hands down. Have you not heard about all the accolades the M3 gets? M3 is for the real performance enthusiast. M5 is for old farts who just wants to go fast. An M3 beats an M5 any day at the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #110
GotEM4
General
Rep
Drives: EM4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS919 View Post

Are you being serious? As for the interior, you can call it subjective all you want, but you got to be f**king kidding me!
Where do you get the M3 is faster? I supposed you've put them both through an instrumented test? 0-60 MPH I'd guess the M3 is faster, over 60 I'm not too sure that an M3 would hang with the M5. The M5 is an absolute rocket at high speed. You can't use BMW's claimed 0-60 times for reference, they've been proven inaccurate and inconsistent.
Aren't you a little bias Mr. M5 owner? M3 are usually for the younger crowd and M5 are usually for the older people. You must be of the older group. The new M3 will beat the M5 over 60...no doubt.
Appreciate 0