Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-25-2014, 11:05 PM   #199
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
If you're looking for a sedan, the M5 serves the purpose of seating more than two people in a car better than the M3.
Too serious answer, at least have the decency to mock one other writer.

(yes, I'm bored again, sorry)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #200
Axelf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35is...

Well heres what happened to me......

I had a 1M from new and the car was amazing, both in looks and performance. I used to get comments on it all the time, but i have 2 kids 1 is 16 and 1 is 12 and they are growing. My wives car is a 1 series convertible so both cars had 4 seats and passengers had to climb in the back. So i decided ok i have had the 1M its now time to get a family orientated car. SO i put in an order for the new M3 in YMB and all the bell and whistles for delivery in July, i was so excited and could not wait for the day to come....... A couple of days later i was out in the 1M and decided i am not getting rid of it and canceled my order for the M3......
Now then a few weeks past by and i chipped the paint on the drivers door so i had a drive to the BMW dealer for a touch up stick.... and what did they just pull in the show room........... A brand new M5 Monte carlo blue with full silverstone leather... my jaw just hit the ground i wanted it..... The M3 was forgotten about and the 1M was slow vanishing in the distance...
I have never driven an M5 but always wanted to try one, so out we went... i loved it yes it is a big car especially coming from a 1M, but the power just over ruled that, the ride was just totally different, the interior was just awesome so we heeded back to the garage and struck up a deallll. It worked out only £90 a month more than the 1M payment and cheaper than the M3 payment... I never take cars on tracks so that is not important to me but the comfort in this car is out of this world, my kids love it as they don't need to climb in the back and it still turns a few heads.... I am 42 years old and up to now this has to be the best car i have ever owned... So if i was you i would just go with what your heart strings are pulling at... Hope it helps you a little bit, but most of all hope you enjoy your new car what ever you choose.
      04-26-2014, 09:48 PM   #201
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Ok, I am assuming you cannot drive both cars before making your decision. Here are my thoughts:

$80 a month is pretty much a wash. That's one average meal at an average restaurant a month. Next I'd calculate differences in insurance and fuel costs. If it's still close to being a wash then move on.

The M5 is a whole helluva lot more of a car for the money than the M3 is. That doesn't mean it is the better car for you because a Rolls Royce is way more than a GT-R but I wouldn't be caught dead in a Rolls.

The M5 will run, not walk, away from an M3 on the street, on the track, everywhere. Up to 60mph the cars will perform similarly but after that, forget it - the M5 has a phenomenal powerplant that can keep up with exotics while the M3 has a warmed-over version of the engine found in the ho-hum 335i. The M5 by design will isolate the driver from the world while the M3 will (probably) be more involving to drive. Similarly, I think a Miata would be more involving to drive than a Corvette but two guesses which one I'd rather have.

For those who care about exclusivity, the M3/M4 will be very common and seeing one on the street will be a daily occurrence. An M5 is a pretty rare sight.

It's a tough decision and I honestly don't know which way I would go if I were in your shoes.

This is all assuming you are keeping the car stock, no tune. If you want to tune, forget it - case closed: M5 is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 10:56 PM   #202
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

^^ Well, do tell us what you like about the new models, don't be shy.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 07:52 PM   #203
Drizz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW X7; '20 911 Carrera S

Thanks for all of the feedback from everyone. Still thinking about both. M3 would go into production in July, so I have some time to think about it all.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #204
ufgtrs2007
dentite
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, M2C, JLU392, e92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
After reading through this thread, I'd like to emphasize several key points from a current owner of an M5 and M3:

1. M5 on the street is superior to an M3 in every category. I would argue that in day-to-day and spirited canyon runs, the M5 will out perform the M3/M4 in every performance category since we don't exceed the threshold where the M3/M4 would shine, namely high speed threshold braking and agility in a track setting.

2. The M5 is a blast to drive as a Daily Driver. Torque and HP especially at highway speed and spirited runs is intoxicating.

3. I view the new M3/M4 as a mini-M5 with the added benefit of weight saving technology. BMW M has implemented many technologies present in the M5 in the new M3/M4.

I'm excited to test drive the new F80 M3. If it's anything like my M5, I will probably trade in the M5 since I do take my cars to the track 6-8 times per year. I've tracked my M5, it is incredibly fun but out of its element.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 11:52 PM   #205
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
Ok, I am assuming you cannot drive both cars before making your decision. Here are my thoughts:

$80 a month is pretty much a wash. That's one average meal at an average restaurant a month. Next I'd calculate differences in insurance and fuel costs. If it's still close to being a wash then move on.

The M5 is a whole helluva lot more of a car for the money than the M3 is. That doesn't mean it is the better car for you because a Rolls Royce is way more than a GT-R but I wouldn't be caught dead in a Rolls.

The M5 will run, not walk, away from an M3 on the street, on the track, everywhere. Up to 60mph the cars will perform similarly but after that, forget it - the M5 has a phenomenal powerplant that can keep up with exotics while the M3 has a warmed-over version of the engine found in the ho-hum 335i. The M5 by design will isolate the driver from the world while the M3 will (probably) be more involving to drive. Similarly, I think a Miata would be more involving to drive than a Corvette but two guesses which one I'd rather have.

For those who care about exclusivity, the M3/M4 will be very common and seeing one on the street will be a daily occurrence. An M5 is a pretty rare sight.

It's a tough decision and I honestly don't know which way I would go if I were in your shoes.

This is all assuming you are keeping the car stock, no tune. If you want to tune, forget it - case closed: M5 is the way to go.
lol i get a kick out of your strongly opinionated posts

it really depends on the layout of the track.. if its a rather short, twisty circuit usually the lighter cars will win that battle.. even in the long circuits like VIR the M5 doesn't "run" away from an M3.. i don't feel like looking up the times, but i do remember C&D lapping an M3 pretty much just as fast as the M5 at VIR

M5 is easily costs 30 grand more.. exactly what does it offer that's "helluva lot more" than the M3 besides extra room? Don't pull the "but but but the M3 doesn't have a true M engine" card on me.. No M3 has disappointed to date I'm willing to bet the engine in the F8X M's will surely live up to expectations

LOL at the M3/4 being common.. you must live in a financially healthy area where you consider M cars "common"
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #206
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

"M5 is easily costs 30 grand more.. exactly what does it offer that's "helluva lot more" than the M3 besides extra room? "

Well the Hp/tq is at least a 140/100 more to be exact, as well as better technology, the option for a true full leather /alacantra interior , B&O sound system, more comfortable seats , better ability to handle rough road conditions etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #207
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
"M5 is easily costs 30 grand more.. exactly what does it offer that's "helluva lot more" than the M3 besides extra room? "

Well the Hp/tq is at least a 140/100 more to be exact, as well as better technology, the option for a true full leather /alacantra interior , B&O sound system, more comfortable seats , better ability to handle rough road conditions etc.
what better technology? serious question, I don't know.

seat comfort is personal, both are fantastic from my experience in both

not sure about ride quality yet, m3 isn't out yet

you also get worse handling, worse efficiency, worse track performance, and more weight.

to be fair

Last edited by Black Gold; 04-29-2014 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0