BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Using bimmercode for the first time today...

03-30-2022, 01:43 PM   #45
Rich807
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounderman View Post
don't be freaked out when you code the car you get a bunch of error messages, just restart and they clear.
This is relevant info I wish I'd read before I jumped into Bimmercode today. LoL.

I've been using ODBEleven on VAG stuff for years with great success so what Bimmercode does was not new to me by any stretch. What did cause my heart to jump a bit was the error codes after the coding but like above statement, they went away after restarting the car.

Last edited by Rich807; 03-30-2022 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2022, 07:34 AM   #46
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Was the car running during the coding? The individual module reboot after some codings, and this freaks out other modules throughout the car. Things go more smoothly if you hook up a charger or other power source, and leave the car in KOEO (Key On Engine Off).
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 12:41 PM   #47
Rich807
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X2

Car was not running during coding yesterday. I did do some additional coding today both with & without the car running though.

FWIW the Bimmercode product running on my X2 is WAY faster all-around than coding is on my Audi stuff via one of the coding products on that stuff (ODBEleven). Even the modules take a very long time to read/populate. Don't want to jinks anything but so far Bimmercode seems to work quick & easy.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 01:21 PM   #48
Glen e
Retired from BMWNA
Rep
Drives: ‘21 X2 m35i

I too have done the coding with the engine off and the engine on, I think what is important is that you prep for the session by creating notes of exactly what you want to do so that you are in and out in the least amount of time. But I don’t think it matters which engine position you choose if you prep first.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 02:16 PM   #49
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I don’t think it matters which engine position you choose if you prep first.
Fundamentally, that's true because nothing breaks. But when I coded mine with the engine running, when the Body Controller was finished, the car had a complete network meltdown with check-engine lights, warning in the display, and dozens of stored codes. I believe the car sent out a telemetry SOS to Regensburg, because the mothership sent me email about taking the car in.

The codes were mostly "temporary", but they hang around for a long time before the car decides that, and clears them out. Not an experience I want to repeat.

I think it depends on what settings you actually code. Some of them are simple preferences and they just get set. Others are more complex and require a reboot of one or more modules.

No matter what else you do, be careful that you don't lose power partway through coding. That would be playing with fire.
Appreciate 1
Rich80766.00