BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) 225/55-18 vs 225/50-18

09-03-2018, 04:27 AM   #1
lennono
Rep
Drives: f48 i20 x-drive, sport-line

225/55-18 vs 225/50-18

Did anybody try to put 225/55-18 tires instead of 225/50-18?

I have a set of a rather new 225/55-18 winter tires and would like to use them for my x1 f48 i20 x-drive.

Last edited by lennono; 09-09-2018 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennono View Post
Does anybody tried to put 225/55-18 tires instead of 225/50-18?

I have a set of a rather new 225/55-18 winter tires and would like to use them for my x1 f48 i20 x-drive.
Difference in size is only 1.5%...so your speedo will read a MPH or so low..not worth worrying about. The 55's are .4" larger in diameter so they will reduce suspension rebound distance by .2"....Unless you're planning on running winter road rallies you'll never notice the difference.
The 55's will give you more "pothole protection"...I'm running 17" tires with 225/55 Conti DWS tires, since I value their improved wet/light snow traction and the smoother quieter ride over all out handling..I don't drive at 9/10's like I used to, so why put up with the harsher ride and more risk of rim damage?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 11:38 AM   #3
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
Well, I'll be the contrarian. IMO, it's not good idea to change the tire diameter and it should be avoided if possible. In the case of a larger diameter tire, it's heaver, taller and has larger sidewalls. The first two reduce off the line acceleration, the second changes the speedometer and the third makes the tire more flexible which reduces handling.

Spitpilot seems to like his old-school narrow tires with larger sidewalls, but he can have them. I like my vehicles to handle and I don't mind giving some ride smoothness for handling. Knock on wood, but I've never lost a tire or wheel to a pothole.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #4
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

There's a middle path, which says for winter use (and provided you always keep that in mind) they'll be fine, noting limitations and effects of the higher profile
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 04:35 AM   #5
lennono
Rep

Well, I will try 225/55-18 winter tires for sure (would like to save money)...
It it happens that this size is not suitable at all, then I will have to buy 225/50-18 winter... But firstly I would like to try...

My worry is about whether such big size 225/55-18 could bring any harm to x-drive system or not?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #6
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It it happens that this size is not suitable at all, then I will have to buy 225/50-18 winter... But firstly I would like to try...

My worry is about whether such big size 225/55-18 could bring any harm to x-drive system or not?
Aside from your speedometer reading lower than it should, there won't be any harm to anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 05:40 AM   #7
Beemerbuster
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 2.5D

Check with your insurers as you are in fact are changing the spec from how BMW supply its variants.
Some insurers are hot on any changes from normal spec and you don't want a possible claim care to hinge on non standard tyres?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 06:53 AM   #8
lennono
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerbuster View Post
Check with your insurers as you are in fact are changing the spec from how BMW supply its variants.
Some insurers are hot on any changes from normal spec and you don't want a possible claim care to hinge on non standard tyres?
Our insurers are not such strict like, let's say, either in Europe or Russia.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:54 AM   #9
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

No worries...BMW puts 225/55 17 tires and 225/45 19 tires on the X1 depending on markets (European and Australian X1's get the higher profile ...maybe folks there don't like to jar their fillings out over rougher roads?)...the 225/55 17's outer diameter is 26.7 inches, the 225/45 19's outer diameter is 27 inches, so you can see BMW isn't locked in to one tire diameter.

The concern for AWD systems isn't tire diameter per se but differences in tire diameter large enough to "confuse the X drive and/or stability system" due to large differences in wheel speeds. As long as you use the same tires all around, no problem. Furthermore, the compact spare (135/90 17) that BMW supplies for the US buyers who opt out of RFT's has a diameter of 26.6 inches...compare that to the 225/45 19's 27 inches. Obviously the X1's systems can cope with slight variations in diameter. So, other than the slight reduction in suspension compression distance I mentioned earlier you will see no impact using the tires you have for winter season.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #10
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver2 View Post
Well, I'll be the contrarian. IMO, it's not good idea to change the tire diameter and it should be avoided if possible. In the case of a larger diameter tire, it's heaver, taller and has larger sidewalls. The first two reduce off the line acceleration, the second changes the speedometer and the third makes the tire more flexible which reduces handling.

Spitpilot seems to like his old-school narrow tires with larger sidewalls, but he can have them. I like my vehicles to handle and I don't mind giving some ride smoothness for handling. Knock on wood, but I've never lost a tire or wheel to a pothole.
I'm not using "narrow" tires..just higher aspect ratio. Given that I don't track my X1 nor do I drive on public roads as if I was on a track...the 225/55 17's give me plenty of cornering power. Plus a smoother, quieter ride and with Conti DWS tires...way better wet traction..if you read some reviews for the OEM P7's you'll see what I mean...I hit the brakes hard on wet street just after I got my X1 and didn't think I was ever gonna stop...Been running DWS year round and for my 328 on winter rims for years now and feeling safe.
Have the staggered M sport package wheels and low profile Michelin A3's for summer fun with the 328 if I want to scare the wife on freeway on ramps.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #11
lennono
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitpilot View Post
No worries...

The concern for AWD systems isn't tire diameter per se but differences in tire diameter large enough to "confuse the X drive and/or stability system" due to large differences in wheel speeds. As long as you use the same tires all around, no problem. Furthermore, the compact spare (135/90 17) that BMW supplies for the US buyers who opt out of RFT's has a diameter of 26.6 inches...compare that to the 225/45 19's 27 inches. Obviously the X1's systems can cope with slight variations in diameter. So, other than the slight reduction in suspension compression distance I mentioned earlier you will see no impact using the tires you have for winter season.
Thanks a lot for very clear reply.
👍
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 05:47 PM   #12
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not using "narrow" tires..just higher aspect ratio. Given that I don't track my X1 nor do I drive on public roads as if I was on a track...the 225/55 17's give me plenty of cornering power. Plus a smoother, quieter ride and with Conti DWS tires...way better wet traction..if you read some reviews for the OEM P7's you'll see what I mean...I hit the brakes hard on wet street just after I got my X1 and didn't think I was ever gonna stop...Been running DWS year round and for my 328 on winter rims for years now and feeling safe.
Have the staggered M sport package wheels and low profile Michelin A3's for summer fun with the 328 if I want to scare the wife on freeway on ramps.
I should have been more specific. I was referring to your wheels, which I understand are 17" diameter X 7.5" wide, which is smaller and narrower than the original wheels. I called it old-school, because that's the size of the front wheels on my 1997 328is. (The rear wheels were 8.5" wide.)

Narrower wheels provide less support to the tire sidewalls, so the tires flex more when cornering. Great if ride is more important to you than handling, but not great if you want your vehicle to handle. Similarly, smaller diameter wheels also have a detrimental affect on handling. Again, if you value ride more than handling, that's your choice.

I'm glad you're happy with the continental DWS tires. Personally, I am not a fan of all season tires and I never recommend anyone to purchase them. They are a compromise, jack of all trades, master of none. Even the name "all-season", is a misnomer. They should be called three season tires because they are not designed for snow. I use summer tires for spring, summer and fall and winter tires for winter.

I have 285/30-19 continental DW (the summer version) on the back end of my M3. They are relatively quiet tires and they are not harsh, but this is because they have very soft sidewalls. It's misleading of Continental to call them premium ultra high performance tires. These tires are very soft and the back end of my car is very unsettled with them. (Previously, I had Michelin PS2 on the back and the back end was much more planted.) The only reason I put the Continentals on the car is because at the time, the size of Michelin PS2 that I wanted was only available as a run-flat tire and the PSS was not available at all. When I replace the Continental DW, I will probably use the I will probably switch to the newer Continental extremecontact sport or Michelin PSS, which is now available in the size I want. I have heard good reports about the new Continental. It's much more comparable to the PSS, whereas the DW is not in the same league.

I'm not bashing your choice. You have different priorities than I have. Maybe where you live, there are a lot more pot holes. I would be a very unhappy camper if I had 225/55-17 all season tires on my X2, but that's me.

Update: I see you live in Nevada. I don't get why you're running all season tires in that climate. If you want to scare your wife, put real performance summer tires on your car, such as PSS or PS4. You won't believe the difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #13
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

It's perfectly fine to use those tires, the difference is minimal. All the effect other people are describing (ride comfort, handling, speedometer, etc ...) are true but hardly noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 02:24 PM   #14
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver2 View Post
I should have been more specific. I was referring to your wheels, which I understand are 17" diameter X 7.5" wide, which is smaller and narrower than the original wheels. I called it old-school, because that's the size of the front wheels on my 1997 328is. (The rear wheels were 8.5" wide.)

Narrower wheels provide less support to the tire sidewalls, so the tires flex more when cornering. Great if ride is more important to you than handling, but not great if you want your vehicle to handle. Similarly, smaller diameter wheels also have a detrimental affect on handling. Again, if you value ride more than handling, that's your choice.

I'm glad you're happy with the continental DWS tires. Personally, I am not a fan of all season tires and I never recommend anyone to purchase them. They are a compromise, jack of all trades, master of none. Even the name "all-season", is a misnomer. They should be called three season tires because they are not designed for snow. I use summer tires for spring, summer and fall and winter tires for winter.

I have 285/30-19 continental DW (the summer version) on the back end of my M3. They are relatively quiet tires and they are not harsh, but this is because they have very soft sidewalls. It's misleading of Continental to call them premium ultra high performance tires. These tires are very soft and the back end of my car is very unsettled with them. (Previously, I had Michelin PS2 on the back and the back end was much more planted.) The only reason I put the Continentals on the car is because at the time, the size of Michelin PS2 that I wanted was only available as a run-flat tire and the PSS was not available at all. When I replace the Continental DW, I will probably use the I will probably switch to the newer Continental extremecontact sport or Michelin PSS, which is now available in the size I want. I have heard good reports about the new Continental. It's much more comparable to the PSS, whereas the DW is not in the same league.

I'm not bashing your choice. You have different priorities than I have. Maybe where you live, there are a lot more pot holes. I would be a very unhappy camper if I had 225/55-17 all season tires on my X2, but that's me.

Update: I see you live in Nevada. I don't get why you're running all season tires in that climate. If you want to scare your wife, put real performance summer tires on your car, such as PSS or PS4. You won't believe the difference.
Agree with all your observations...if I was back running road rallys or tracking my cars...I'd be working to a whole different set of tire/wheel priorities. I'm no longer "pushing the limit" as far as cornering "G's" go...so that's not my "must have" in tire/wheel selection.

We visit the Bay Area often during winter season, so #1 for me is good wet traction, decent mobility in the light snow we get around town and good enough dry performance for my level of driving aggressiveness for my CA driving... along with outstanding wear rating which you won't get with full on winter tires.

If you come on down and drive the CA roads these days, you'd see they are truly "3rd world"!!! And the traffic flows so fast and tight you don't have much ability to dodge the rough spots!...So yes, I considered the cost of tire/wheel replacement and the risk of damage when I went to the 17's.
Appreciate 1
ttimbo280.00
      09-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #15
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Agree with all your observations...if I was back running road rallys or tracking my cars...I'd be working to a whole different set of tire/wheel priorities. I'm no longer "pushing the limit" as far as cornering "G's" go...so that's not my "must have" in tire/wheel selection.

We visit the Bay Area often during winter season, so #1 for me is good wet traction, decent mobility in the light snow we get around town and good enough dry performance for my level of driving aggressiveness for my CA driving... along with outstanding wear rating which you won't get with full on winter tires.

If you come on down and drive the CA roads these days, you'd see they are truly "3rd world"!!! And the traffic flows so fast and tight you don't have much ability to dodge the rough spots!...So yes, I considered the cost of tire/wheel replacement and the risk of damage when I went to the 17's.
I spend a lot of time over on M3 Forum. There are quite a few M3 owners who use tires like Pilot Sport A/S 3+ because they last longer than performance summer tires. I burned off a set of rear PS2 in 5000 kms, so I can relate to that. Thankfully, the latest generation of performance summer tires last much longer, so they aren't so painful on the wallet. Also, performance summer tires are diabolical even with a trace of snow, so that's another reason for someone to use all season tires. They aren't a substitute for proper winter tires, however.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 01:22 PM   #16
cold101
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 23d x-drive

just ordered 4 new tyres for my x1 23d xdrive .. remapped to 260bhp
anyway got to garage and boom my 225/40/18 was in fact 225/55/18 haha
it does in fact fill the arch now .. but drives fine
Appreciate 0