BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) X1 Center Console Removal

04-08-2019, 05:18 PM   #1
peekeesh
Private
Rep
Drives: F48 and F80

X1 Center Console Removal

Spilled drinks on the idrive buttons now they're stuck. I wanted to pull the unit out to clean it and need guidance on how to remove the center console. Anyone here knows how to remove it?

I've seen a few threads about it and they say to unscrew the torx screw under the armrest and just pull the entire thing. I tried to pull it, but it won't budge. I'm afraid that if I pull harder, it might break. anyone?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 05:29 PM   #2
adi555
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48

Why don't you take some alcohol based cleaners and try cleaning the buttons from outside?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #3
peekeesh
Private
Rep

already did that, no luck. I also tried quick dry electronic spray cleaner, it didn't work as well. So i plan to dissamble the unit and clean it similar to what the OP here did:

https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s....php?t=1266881
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 06:52 PM   #4
peekeesh
Private
Rep

nevermind. I figured it out. There are screws holding the center console. I'll post pics later to show the location of the screws.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 02:08 AM   #5
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekeesh View Post
Spilled drinks on the idrive buttons now they're stuck. I wanted to pull the unit out to clean it and need guidance on how to remove the center console. Anyone here knows how to remove it?

I've seen a few threads about it and they say to unscrew the torx screw under the armrest and just pull the entire thing. I tried to pull it, but it won't budge. I'm afraid that if I pull harder, it might break. anyone?

Thanks in advance!
Hi
You will find detailed instructions for removing most BMW trim in BMW ISTA (the BMW workshop part and repair guide). It can be downloaded or online pdf versions can be accessed through the forum. I found the best way to use it is to search something like controller (idrive controller) removal, it will explain and give preceding steps. Here’s a link.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...les/1VnYpA7S1x
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...les/1VnYfQwde0
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...xdrive20d-sav/

To remove the centre console (I think you actually want to remove the top trim into which the controller and a few other buttons fit) you actually have to remove quite a few hidden screws, there are three hidden behind a curved plastic strip immediately above the two cup holders and power socket (the ones in front of the gear shift)
There are two hidden behind a small plastic strip between passenger seat and side of the console (with passenger seat pushed fully back you can just access) and finally .. remove the liner in bottom of small storage bin beneath the arm rest. The trim piece with usb socket pulls out , remove final screw (again be careful not to lose it and retaining clip) and then and the whole shiny top part of the console lifts up, you will,have to unplug a few things but it can be removed completely for cleaning. Once this is removed you can continue removing the console itself if you wish. You will need a plastic trim tool or a small softwood wedge to prise away the plastic cover strips, do not use a screwdriver because you will easily damage the plastic. You will need a torx screwdriver (very short one for screws by passenger seat , ideally magnetic). Also be aware the screws inside the small storage cubby will, want to fall in the gaps below (from which you have 50’50 chance of losing completely - I know ‘ cos I lost them and one of the metal trim clip they screw into as well.

When cleaning use a soft clean damp cloth (with a very mild dish detergent, only if absolutely necessary). Make sure you have no grit/dirt in the cloth at any time and do not use any solvents or abrasive liquids because you will very easily trash the trim surface from which the only option will be to buy a new part.

Last edited by MJE60; 04-13-2019 at 05:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
peekeesh
Private
Rep

@MJE60 i'll bookmark these links. thank you!
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      04-09-2019, 01:11 PM   #7
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by Peekeesh
@MJE60 i'll bookmark these links. thank you!

Last edited by MJE60; 04-09-2019 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0