E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Comfort Access Failure Rate

View Poll Results: Does your comfort access mess up?
It messes up sometimes even when I'm clearly within range 16 17.78%
It has messed up only a couple times (possibly not close enough) 25 27.78%
Never messes up at all 49 54.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

03-13-2006, 05:48 PM   #1
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Comfort Access Failure Rate

Since I've gotten my car in October, one of the first CA cars, the comfort access doesn't work all of the time. And ironically, it seems like it never works when I'm trying to show it off to someone, lol. I'd say it works maybe 95-98% of the time and usually when it doesn't work if I use the remote and then try it again that it will work but today when I went to lock it, it just stopped working altogether. I was using the remote to lock and unlock it and trying the CA over and over and nothing was happening.

If everyone else also has this problem, then ok, but if I am the only one then I will probably bring it to the dealer.

Last edited by Nikki; 03-13-2006 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2006, 06:04 PM   #2
GoBonesGo
What do you do when you see a spaceman?
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG/Terra E90 335i Step

Hmm, never had a problem myself. When I show it to people, I have to remind myself to wait a couple seconds between locking and unlocking, but that's in the manual so it doesn't count.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2006, 06:06 PM   #3
BMWally
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 545i, 2006 330i

My car was built in November, early January delivery, and my comfort access, has messed up before. Seems it gets confused with to "lock" or "unlock", ex... I want to unlock, but it keeps locking, and then when it doesn't work, you have to wait 20 secs for it "reset" itself. However, I noticed, if I put my hand on the handle <not just touch the ridges on the handle> but make like I'm going to pull the handle, it always unlocks. So, I don't know if there is somehow a sensor on the inside of the handle also?? When I lock though, I only one finger, touch the ridge and it locks. Hold it down longer if I want to mirrors to fold. This past week, it's been raining, and I've noticed one time my mirrors were folded in, and I know I didn't fold them in. So, I guess the CA isn't heat sensitive?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2006, 06:08 PM   #4
txdriver
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I posted a note about this a few weeks back. I've got the same problem: sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't. It's not a matter of the time between locking and unlocking as it happens after the car has sat all day. I tried using the other key fob and the same problem occurred. What I'm now testing is the passenger side...when the driver door doesn't lock or unlock, I go to the passenger door to try it there (which I'm sure looks ridiculous to anyone watching me).

So far it's worked 100% on the passenger door.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2006, 06:12 PM   #5
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
It's probably just that those tiny little fingers aren't enough to trigger the sensor.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2006, 06:23 PM   #6
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Hmm, well if other people also experience this problem then maybe I won't bother bringing it in. I just don't feel like going through the hassle just for them not to know what it is. I mean is it something simple like they could just install a new sensor or something?
I find that it usually happens on the passenger's side door (i.e. when I'm trying to show it to someone) but it also happens on the driver's side door.

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2006, 07:04 PM   #7
txdriver
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

The only problem with not taking it in is then BMW doesn't know there's a problem. How's that for using the same word twice in one sentence? ;-)

I took mine in and they found nothing wrong. As it continues to happen though I'll take it in again and request that they actually look at the door handle and not just run a software check.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2006, 07:24 PM   #8
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdriver
The only problem with not taking it in is then BMW doesn't know there's a problem. How's that for using the same word twice in one sentence? ;-)

I took mine in and they found nothing wrong. As it continues to happen though I'll take it in again and request that they actually look at the door handle and not just run a software check.
I guess I could mention it when I get my oil changed unless it really starts acting up like it did today.

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2006, 08:11 PM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I think you should tell them. Even if there is no current fix, the more people complaining of the problem the higher its priority will be.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2006, 10:05 PM   #10
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
A couple of times, but it worked again immediately when I jiggled the keys in my pocket, so overall I'm a happy camper.

Although, opening the trunk with CA leaves a lot to be desired. A couple of times, I've almost had to use the remote.

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2006, 11:49 PM   #11
Ethirtynine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Honda S2000

I tried CA at two different dealerships, and it failed to work both times. Well, it didn't exactly fail but It seemed like it takes 5-10 seconds to reset. For instance I can't lock-unlock-lock-unlock repeatedly, I would have to wait 5-10 seconds between each lock and unlock. Hope that made sense
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2006, 11:58 PM   #12
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Sorry to read about the not always reliable CA on your car Nikki and others.

If I recal correctly, Broken 1 has CA on his car and from his posts, he loves it and it works fine. No doubt he will post his reply here soon too.

It may be best to at least let the service people know about your intermittent problem. Perhaps they may have a fix for those who let them know of the problem.

All the best sorting out the problem.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 01:28 AM   #13
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia
If I recal correctly, Broken 1 has CA on his car and from his posts, he loves it and it works fine. No doubt he will post his reply here soon too.
Haha david :-)

Since I had my rear window tint replaced, it does work virtually perfectly. There has been once or twice where it doesn't unlock when I touch the handle, but then a pull on the handle unlocks, and another pull opens.

Remember, if showing poeple lock/unlock/lock you need to wait 2 - 5 seconds between "attempts"

I find the trunk is a bit sticky, and you need to be standing squarly infront of it.

Other than that....it works 99.5% of the time -> Which is good enough for me. I've never had to use my fob - I have (very very occasionally) had to touch the handle again.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 07:17 AM   #14
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
There has been once or twice where it doesn't unlock when I touch the handle, but then a pull on the handle unlocks, and another pull opens.

I find the trunk is a bit sticky, and you need to be standing squarly infront of it.

Other than that....it works 99.5% of the time -> Which is good enough for me. I've never had to use my fob - I have (very very occasionally) had to touch the handle again.

Different continent, exactly the same experience.
      03-14-2006, 08:29 AM   #15
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

I've only had it "fail" a couple of times, mostly when trying to lock it. Placed my finger on the ridges on the door handle and the car would not lock. Maybe it was too cold, or there was dirt on the handle, not sure.. Had to actually get the FOB out at hit the lock button.

Sometimes the truck can be a little stubbon to get open. End up just moving around a bit and then it seem to work
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 10:19 AM   #16
GoBonesGo
What do you do when you see a spaceman?
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG/Terra E90 335i Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWally
...Seems it gets confused with to "lock" or "unlock", ex... I want to unlock, but it keeps locking, and then when it doesn't work, you have to wait 20 secs for it "reset" itself. However, I noticed, if I put my hand on the handle <not just touch the ridges on the handle> but make like I'm going to pull the handle, it always unlocks.
I'm confused. Putting your hand in between the handle and the car's body is how you unlock it. You touch the ridges on the handle to lock it. It sounds like you're saying it works fine when you use it correctly and messes up when you do it wrong. Sounds logical to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 02:50 PM   #17
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
Since I've gotten my car in October, one of the first CA cars, the comfort access doesn't work all of the time. And ironically, it seems like it never works when I'm trying to show it off to someone, lol. I'd say it works maybe 95-98% of the time and usually when it doesn't work if I use the remote and then try it again that it will work but today when I went to lock it, it just stopped working altogether. I was using the remote to lock and unlock it and trying the CA over and over and nothing was happening.

If everyone else also has this problem, then ok, but if I am the only one then I will probably bring it to the dealer.
Are you typically in the same location when this fails or a places where elevated wireless traffic occurs? Some people have reported that interference can intermittently disrupt the cars ability to sense their CA fob. If you are in an area with increased radio/wireless/electronic activity it could be interference you are experiencing 5% of the time when CA doesn’t work. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 04:00 PM   #18
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3aficionado
Are you typically in the same location when this fails or a places where elevated wireless traffic occurs? Some people have reported that interference can intermittently disrupt the cars ability to sense their CA fob. If you are in an area with increased radio/wireless/electronic activity it could be interference you are experiencing 5% of the time when CA doesn’t work. Just a thought.
I am in the same location everytime and everyone here has about 3 cellphones lol so maybe that's it.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 04:17 PM   #19
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
I am in the same location everytime and everyone here has about 3 cellphones lol so maybe that's it.
Its just a guess. The interference people report I don’t think come from cell phone. I’ve read about it occurring around large office buildings (with many powerful networks). Also in parking garages where there are lots of different frequencies from electronics (from inside the buildings) bouncing around and around places where radio, microwave & other frequencies are concentrated (around TV stations for example). Enough different frequencies in the air and the car may have a hard time identifying your fob 100% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 04:20 PM   #20
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep

Well I'm not in a garage and there are no above ground powerlines, they're underground. I live near a mall (like I can see it from my apartment) and some office buildings. I don't know?

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 07:55 PM   #21
cfahey
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i/2003 330i

Disabling comfort access

My question is the opposite of thesse other posts ... Can you disable the system? I'm speccifically worried about a valet parking my car, then 'checking' that the doors locked... of course, this will unlock the system. If the valet's not too smart, he'll ultimately give up, walk away, leaving my car unlocked.

Alternatively, if I give him what used to be called the valet key, he has to pull the key out of the fob to lock/unlock the door, and put it back in the fob to start the engine. Again, that might be asking a little too much of certain valets ...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 08:03 PM   #22
b311lee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .::330i zsp::.

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
hahahaha, why dont you just tell the valet how the car works? Im sure if it a nice restaurant he/she would have delt with a car that had something similar....orrrrrrrrr dont valet! I sure as hell dont, too many horror stories.